PDA

View Full Version : Books with robot designs?

dantaylor129
02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Is there any books that are full of robot designs? Like the ones in the books Insectronics and Amphibionics. That just come with the needed specification, such as the length and position of the drill holes.

I really enjoy cutting and drilling the metal pieces and then putting it all together and programming them.

Are there any that you have found.

lnxfergy
02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
There used to be. You might look around for used book stores online, the # of hobby robotics books on the market has seriously declined since 2003-2005. TAB robotics used to have dozens of books out there, and now just have a few.

-Fergs

dantaylor129
02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Are there any in specific ones that come to mind? I have had a really hard time finding any...

dantaylor129
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
All I have been able to find that is close to what I want is books like "Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook."

Connor
02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't bother with books these days anymore... The reason? They're out of date by the time you get them in your hands. Stuff changes SO quickly in technology that, they just can't keep up. (Excluding basic Theory books and Base level electronics).. Start checking some wiki's, do some google searchs.. and look around.. TONS of info out there.

Thanks, Connor

4mem8
02-19-2010, 03:02 PM
agreed conner, i have dozens of books, but as you say go out of date so quick, so now my library consists of data and electronic theory books and the rest is online, nothing you cant find out there and when you do, compile your own book. much easier and you can update when ever you want to.

ulsmedia
05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I Too would be interested in this. God i miss battlebots!!!

mannyr7
05-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Maybe you could pick a standardized bracket and servo system, such the Lynxmotion SES or Bioloid and create to your hearts' content in any number of free CAD programs available. Google around for CAD files of almost every bracket, servo, microcontroller and make your dream robot. Pull some dimensions from there and go to town. All without spending a penny. Cardstock, 6" calipers, and a sharpie marker is how I do it. :D

darkback2
05-02-2010, 10:15 PM
What are you looking to make? Check the tutorials/how to's on this site. I posted charlie and squidword, and I think other people have posted tutorials of other bots. Also, maybe we could help you design something.

Also, check out google sketchup...

I guess I've found that its better to know "how to" than specifically "what to" because "what to" depends on the current situation, "how to" might change, but once you know...you know.

DB

Amp
05-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Hi dantaylor129,

I will agree with the others about new technology. However if you do want a book I have "robot builders bonanza" a I found it useful as a concise guide on the basics, motors, servos, sensors, circuits, materials, hacking toys. It will also tell you what components/materials are out there and how to use them.

If you do get it however the micrcontroller programming is outdated, basic stamp micros are ancient. With micros dont touch it if it dosent have a C compiler, and personaly Atmel AVRs are easy to use, have good tools and good range of features.

Also btw dont get "Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook." it is not what you need.

Along with everyone else, what project do you want to make? Or to put it another way, what parts of robotics do you enjoy/are you interested in? (mechanics, programming)

robotprince
09-13-2012, 12:35 PM
You can go through 'Advanced Mechanics in Robotic Systems' book. It covers lot of mechanical designs with diagrams, flow charts, and tables. It also has many mechatronics case studies as well.

You can preview this book and get more details about it in the below link:

http://www.roboticsbible.com/robotics-book-advanced-mechanics-in-robotic-systems.html