PDA

View Full Version : [Project] eM-eM - my modified Bioloid project

altwolf
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello all!

I have been sawing and drilling away at my Bioloid Humanoid for a while and now I have something slightly different... or upgraded... or something. I call him "eM-eM" which is based on "M.M." which, in turn, is short for "mishmash", because he is a mishmash of parts I had.

Here he is mostly finished for you to gaze at:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_tHQpmrgirgI/S32GIovLNRI/AAAAAAAAApM/t0FLi-gvx74/s512/BioloidAdvanceFront.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tHQpmrgirgI/S32GA3qICyI/AAAAAAAAApE/y67Oev2Zisk/s512/bioloidAdvanceBack.jpg

My only goal for him is to have "personality". I want him to be more reactive to the environment than the standard kit. He will make expressions on his LCD based on his sensor readings; his eyes will look in the direction of movement etc. Since the PSM lcd module is a full Propeller board, I would like to try to run the speech synthesis code found over in the Propeller forums. It may be too much though for the board to run the speech AND the graphics code at once-I know the speech system uses many of the chip's cogs. I hope to integrate a color tracking camera (perhaps the Havmio module for Bioloid?) so he can say: "I like blue." if he sees some and track colors. In the end, he will need more sensors to do all the things I want him to do and I don't even have the current power needs met! yikes.

added parts:

foot pressure sensors by John Hyands http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/Bioloid-Foot-Pressure-Sensor-Board.aspx
arbotix controller with Xbee radios
ping range sensor
The Face is a Propeller System Module from Rayslogic.com: LCD, built-in accelerometer,sd card slot, stereo output, 8 free inputs
11.1 v Lipo battery
21 DOF - 18 standard, +1 for waist twist, +2 for head pan/tilt
Yellow "BackPack" made from the torso section of the Lynxmotion Scout kit (erroneously listed as Brat parts in the pics).

Still to do:

add switching regulater to power both arbotix and PSM boards.
Forgot to re-attach the AX-s1 sensor. I think it'll attach to the top head servo (the back of the head) but point backwards from the kit direction so he can sense behind him and to the left and right. The Ping sensor sees to the front.
I want to get a Havmio camera module so he can track/recognize color. http://robosavvy.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=144&Itemid=137
add animation/interactivity to PSM LCD "face".
figure out how to make the PSM Propeller board talk to arbotix board.
Program the whole thing so it works! lol

Probing comments and interesting suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Zenta
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Wow!

Thats an awesome project you got there!
Very interesting, keep us posted.
Whats the total weight of your eM-eM?
The additional L-brackets on the feet are for extra stability?

-Zenta

altwolf
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks Zenta!
I don't know his weight (gulp), he's a bit on the heavy side now - I do worry whether he will be able to carry his new weight. I don't have a scale or anything to weigh him with. :p He was originally planned to have a wheeled base rather than legs, and use the extra servos that would be left over for arm DOFs. I still go back and forth over whether legs were a good idea. lol.

The L brackets on the feet are indeed for extra stability. They were attached during a previous mod I did and I just left them on for this one. They seemed to really help him out during his walk, so I figured why not.

Connor
02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
How did you attach those L brackets to the back of the feet.. I just looked.. and there isn't really a way to do it unless you drill holes into the brackets...

Thanks, Connor

altwolf
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Yup, you gotta whip out the drill. And there's a little dremeling/shaving of corners etc. involved so everything fits together squarely.

Meccano Jay
02-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Great Mod! or mods should I say!. hehe I love seeing imagination at work and this is a great example of exactly that. Your upgrades and ideas on making him more environmentally interactive are awesome.
Dont feel alone in the leg / roller debate. When looking forward to future projects such as my rebuild of RoboBlu (robosapien v2 in blue) I have often thought of a more Johnny 5 style base, but then again walking robots are just so cool! lol
Sorry for rambling a bit just wanted to say Great project and thanks for sharing it with us!

4mem8
02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice looking job Altwolf, just hope as you say the legs can carry the extra weight, so crucial in walkers.

altwolf
02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Great Mod! or mods should I say!. hehe I love seeing imagination at work and this is a great example of exactly that. Your upgrades and ideas on making him more environmentally interactive are awesome.
Dont feel alone in the leg / roller debate. When looking forward to future projects such as my rebuild of RoboBlu (robosapien v2 in blue) I have often thought of a more Johnny 5 style base, but then again walking robots are just so cool! lol
Sorry for rambling a bit just wanted to say Great project and thanks for sharing it with us!

Since you mention it, I have been on the lookout for someone selling a "broken" v2. For many moons now, I have been wanting to take one apart and see what I can do with it. I want to keep my current one in good shape though. hehe.

4mem8
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Since you mention it, I have been on the lookout for someone selling a "broken" v2. For many moons now, I have been wanting to take one apart and see what I can do with it. I want to keep my current one in good shape though. hehe.

I have two of them and done quite a bit of hacking but in general there is not a lot u can do. I have removed the legs and mounted it on a mobile base and fitted a 35mw green shoulder laser and the syatem is run by a basic p40 stamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iawtUSBB4uw

altwolf
02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
dang that is a cool laser 4mem8! Hey, I wonder if your v2 could lead himself around with that? Does your v2 have the green led light tracking function? Lol. Useless but funny.

Your hacks are part of what got me into robots several years ago.
I have taken apart several Wowwee robots and generally, there isn't much for me, at least, to work with. I just end up with a pile of cheap motors and plastic bits, etc., that I have no use for.

But still, it's entertaining (and educational, i like to think) to take them apart. :-)

4mem8
02-19-2010, 03:23 AM
roflol Atwolf, yeah your right they are pretty useless, but as you say taking them apart or modding them for other uses is quit fun. yes it has the tracking camera for the three colored ball.

Suicidal.Banana
02-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Heys Altwolf, that looks really sweet.

Can i ask you what you will program your controller-software in? and would you care2share some of it? (im mainlly looking for some kind of 'packet engine' that allows me to send dynamixel packages, and either already has pypose support or has the option to add custom (read; pypose) packages, where possible with syncwrite support)

I myself am also working on a arbotix humanoid with a similar goal (i want to play with AI and visual detection) but im unsure how to control the pypose sketch/poses (in my case i try to keep the pypose sketch on the board for as long as possible (untill i buy/add sensors anyway, which doesn't seem needed for a while now that the ax-s1 also got supported in that new 0012 version))