PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth for bluesmirf

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Forgive if this is an ignorant question.
What qualities/features does a usb bluetooth dongle need to posses to communicate with the bluesmirf? Any recommendations? as a google search brings up a gozillion different models.
again forgive me if this is an ignorant question.
Thank you
Jay

DresnerRobotics
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Look for a Class 1, v2.0+ bluetooth dongle.

Generally speaking you either get what you pay for, or luck out and get a good chipset on a cheapo one. I went to buy another recently and after all the trouble I've had with cheap ones in the past, dished out like $10 more for a decent name brand one and it works like a charm. My advice: spend a little extra and get a higher end name brand model, it's worth your sanity.

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
If you happen to see my sanity plz box it with my next Trossen order and send it home.!? hehe

Seriously thanks for the advice. I was figuring on needing to spend in the ten to fifteen dollar range for a decent dongle. Honestly beyond a bit of cell phone ring tone sharing I have 0 exp with blue tooth.

Ok with my new information im on the hunt, will post links to anything promising.

Thank you again for your help :)
Jason

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Amazon.com: Cyber-Blue Bluetooth v2.0 EDR USB Dongle Class 1: Electronics
Alot of products from this company are listed all over the net, but they are sold out all over the net. lol except this one. theres 2 left.

DresnerRobotics
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I stand by my recommendation for a namebrand rather than a random chinese offbrand :p

I use Zoom, Belkin/US Robotics/Linksys/IOGear are all solid as well.

mannyr7
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I played it safe and went with the 00150 sold by Sparkfun. They've already done the experimenting for you. Save your sanity and troubleshooting for other areas. :cool:

WRL-00150 Bluetooth USB Module $12.95
WRL-09434 Bluetooth USB Module Mini $10.95

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I looked at that model actually, as it is sold from this site. I didn't think Trossen would sell it if it wasnt decent. Thanks for the input as a user! Real world exp. is a great teacher and sanity is priceless! Though im quite certain my sanity left me years ago!
As for the advise, sounds solid to me. Think I will play it safe as well hehe.