PDA

View Full Version : TowerPro servos?

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I have been looking at some Tower Pro servos the MG995 and MG996. They claim to be digital with coreless motor. I have read in some rc airplane forums that they overshoot and dont center properly. I read many replies stating that the problem clears up when you attach the servo to a load. Other posts claiming the servos arent low voltage(4v) stable, and at a solid 6v the issues vanish.

Has anyone here had experience with either model? good or bad?
Thanks
Jay

Connor
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Stick with Hitech servo's if your going to use hobby servo's. They're pretty much the defacto standard when it comes to robots (vs the robot specific servo's like Robotis AX-12+ and their RX series)

Thanks, Connor

billyzelsnack
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm guessing that he's looking at the Tower Pro's because they are significantly cheaper than just about any other servo for the price/performance.

Here's a post over on openservo that might have some useful infos..
http://openservo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=930
Maybe you could mail the author of that thread.

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks Connor
My goal is of course working my way up to the AX - RX series unfortunately the reality of my budget is constricting. I have been looking into the hitecs, I currently run them. Again unfortunately reality of budget sets in.
My current hitec servos are the 322s, I figure on using them as arm actuators. I need something beefier for the legs though. Im looking at building mech and humanoid bipeds. I figure 645's are the way to go there? minimum per say.

Connor
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing that he's looking at the Tower Pro's because they are significantly cheaper than just about any other servo for the price/performance.

Here's a post over on openservo that might have some useful infos..
http://openservo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=930
Maybe you could mail the author of that thread.

Hitech 645, cost $35.99, 133.31 oz*in @ 6v
Hitech 5645 (digital) cost $54.99 168.03 oz*in @ 6v
Hitech 5990TG (digital) cost, $124.99, 333.29 oz*in @ 6v / 416.61 oz*in @ 7.4v)

Robotis AX-12+ (digital) cost $44.90, 229 oz·in @ 12v / 167 oz·in @ 7v

For $10 less than a 5645, and $10 more than a 645 Analog, you get a fully digital servo that is stronger than the more expensive 5645, has better cabilities including tempature, position and torque feedback, and uses a buss instead of a point-to-point wiring system.. Oh yea, it also includes a C bracket, a additonal mounting bracket, bushings and screews!

As for the Tower Pro servo's, you get what you pay for. The work fine for Airplanes, but, from what I've seen that don't do very good for Robots.. to gittery, to inconsistant.. just not a very high qaulity servo... and we've seen more than a few let the white smoke go. For all the frustrations you have trying to cobble something together to work with them, your time, and money is worth the investment in AX-12's.. and If your going to stick with hobby servo's then, the hitech's are the better choice. If I would have just saved up my money last year and purchased the Bioloid instead of buying up used Hitech 5995TG's, brand new 5990's and lynxmotion brackets, I would have been way better off.. and already have $$$ saved up for my 3D printer. :)

Thanks, Connor

Meccano Jay
02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Thank you again Connor, that link finalized that I will not look into those servos any further.
price per performance does lean to the bioloid setup but theres just no way i can spend 44 bux on a servo.

Ide wager I will be doing good to scrape up enough for used 645's to drive legs. :\

billyzelsnack
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Look what I found in the comment of the 996 at hobbycity..
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6221

I ordered this servo for robotics applications, where I need about 20 servos which needed to be cheap.
It has a good torque and centers well. The whole system is correctly made for this price.
But I had to replace them be cause the rotation is not smooth enough at low speed, too jerky (steps are very noticeable). Then I replaced them by the SSV-9764 found here at Hobby City. This one gives better results for a bit higher price.

Meccano Jay
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
lol well theres the final word on that series!

think I will investigate the other part number given, I wager these cant be to much better.

Thanks for the post, good info!

4mem8
02-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Tower pro servos are utter crap, believe me tried them, dont even go there Mecanno Jay. Under load even worse.

Meccano Jay
02-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Sorry to hear they didnt work out. Thank you for sharing. Moving the tower pro to the never list, lol!