PDA

View Full Version : Is AX-12+ fast enough to do balancing experiment?

bonmot
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I am new into robotics. My background is electronics firmware + software + mechanical.
I am going to put acceleration sensors / gyros in the robot.
Controller/sensor/protocol is not a problem me, I have been doing this for only 15+ years:-)
I will start from 2 legs walking. (two legs with a body for the controller and simulate the weight)

I would like to do dynamic balancing test. For example, if I push the robot, it will step forward to keep its balance. etc...
And also many other walking algorithms...

I guess AX-12+ will give the robot enough torque, how about the speed? 0.196sec/60° @ 10V
Is it fast enough for me to start my project?

My plan is to get a good start point as a test platform, which needs good advice from you guys in the business.

If AX-12+ is a good start point, then $850 for a Bioloid Comprehensive Robot Kit fits into my budget.

Thank you!

kamondelious
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi bonmot,

Have you looked into the Bioloid Premium kit also? It might be a little more suited to your goals.

Also, Robotis is coming out with an AX-18 soon, which has a little more torque and a bit faster than the AX-12. This could make for a viable upgrade if you found the AX-12's a little to slow for your needs. Just upgrade the specific servos as needed.

It's hard for me to say if the AX-12 is fast enough for you. I know people have done dynamic balancing, by reading the various status information available from the AX-12 (load,position,etc).

I have a Comprehensive kit myself and I love it.

Cheers!

bonmot
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks Kamondelius.
Bioloid Premium kit has the same servo, so it won't do any better for me. gyros and acceleration sensors are not a problem for me, like I said I do that for living.
Actuator is the thing I have to decide at the start point.
Because of the speed of AX-12. I am looking at the servo billyzelsnack picked from HobbyKing. Trying to make the control board by myself. I know that's just one more task before I can start my robotics test. But I guess the benefit will be the servo can be smarter?