PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] USB2LTP Converter

aceroom
03-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I am making an autonomous robot using the ATMega 16 microcontroller. I have a development board and I have made a programmer (Circuit required to program the microcontroller). Thing is that the circuit that I have made uses a Parallel port. I have a converter which connects the parallel port to the USB port on my laptop (Which does not have a parallel port). However, I cannot seem to find the required drivers that allow me to set the port of the parallel port as LPT(1-3) so I cannot write on the microcontroller. I don't have the time to report it into a USB programmer nor the resources right now.
Does anyone know where I can get such a driver that will work on Windows XP or Windows 7 such that it gives me LPT1-3 so that I can use a burning software. Or is there any software which will allow me to use the usb2lpt as it is. Right now, on devmgmt.msc, it shows up at "USB Printing Support". I have tried a couple of drivers already but none of them worked.

zoomkat
03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I've never seen a USB to parallel port printer adapter that could be bit banged for programming. Your best bet would be to get a parallel port card for the computer or a programmer that operates directly via the serial or USB port.

bonmot
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi aceroom. My experience is: there is no such a thing can do USB to parallel for your application.
Like zoomkat have said, get a card to do it. for Laptop, get a PCMCIA card to to do it.
Don't go by "USB to Parallel" on ebay search, it doens't work for you.
Good luck.