PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] build my own basic atom pro 28 carrier board

soldier
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
anyone know how to start to build our own basic atom pro 28 carrier board ??
without using Bot-board ll
i owned a bot-board ll
but i wanna learn more... anyone can help me??? please
i need to build my own carrier board for Basic atom pro 28... thanks...

Quantum
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Take a look at the manual. Has everyhting you need to build your own.
Its over at Lynxmotion's website.

soldier
03-11-2010, 12:51 PM
sorry... u mean Bot Board II Manual or.....?? actually.. its still hard for me to construct by just referring the manual.. im just an amatuer and a beginner.. these thing is still new for me... sorry for that :) or u got any simple circuit diagram for running a BAP-28?? :) ;) thanks for ur help...

DresnerRobotics
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Really the only resources available are going to be the Basic Atom Pro manual, and the Bot Board Manual. Usually creating a carrier board from scratch isn't something I would recommend to a complete novice; it's a task suited for someone with at least some EE experience. That said, with something like the Basic Atom it is pretty simple as not much for supporting components are required. Creating PCB, laying out traces, etc, isn't exactly cut and dry for a beginner.

If it's a matter of wanting to learn more, you might want to start smaller. There is a lot of information out there on how to build an open source Arduino, that way you can start with an inexpensive Atmega chip + a breadboard and build your own interface board around that. More documentation and info available on it, and a bit more 'ground up' learning experience.

soldier
03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
okok... i know now.... thanks... thanks for the help from u all... i appreciate it..really.. :o:o:o but if let say i still insist to build the carrier for BAP-28 ( for certain reason ) ... so the only way is just from bot board II manual and BAP-28 manual... am i right??? thanks again...:o:o:o:o

Quantum
03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Basically you would build your board around the Basic Atom Pro. Baico Micro's website gives details on there chip. Then you start desgining to the spec's of the Basic Atom Pro. This goes for all Controllers/Processors. Manufactures sights have tons of info and examples usually.

soldier
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
thanks.. thanks.. i will try it out...

MikeG
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
The basic atom 28 is pin compatible with the Parallax Basic Stamp. Parallax publishes their board schematics. Here's the BOE, board of education, http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/BOERevC.pdf

There's not much to it really. Wire up a serial port and add power.

I would start with a protoboard, a few capacitors, and a DB9 connector. Take small steps and add components that make your robot happy. You'll end up with a working model that can be converted to the board of your robot dreams.

Edit: I just opened the Atom 28 datasheet and there's a schematic in there with comprehensive PC interface instructions.
http://www.basicmicro.com/downloads/datasheets/B0072_basic_atom_28.pdf

soldier
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
thanks MikesG.... it helps a lot... thanks...

soldier
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
from the bot-board II circuit.... Vcc is supply to the pin-P12 and P15 which used for PS2 controller pin.... why??? why Vcc need to be supplied to the these two pin??? it wont spoil the microcontroller??

MikeG
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
The pins are connected to Vcc through a pull-up resistor. A pull-up resistor is used to hold the line high during an idle state.

sam
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I made my own board for a SMD version of the ATmega 328 (for a mini-sumo) and a carrier for an atmega 168 (which wasn't a great idea...) It works well, but it's nice to have support for a device and other people using it helps resolve issues and such.

But, it's a great experience to learn, so you can know a bit the process to make your own.

So, I would suggest following the Basic Atom's manual and build around that. There are some great (go and read them ALL) tutorials on the SparkFun site that teach you how to build a circuit in eagle to send to a fab house. There is also a tutorial on making custom parts in eagle (maybe the Basic Atom doesn't have a pre-made design for eagle). So you need to make it and test it (print out a scale 1:1 of the board and place the atom carier over it to see if it fits. But you can probably modify one of the models for the Basic Stamp (same width, so you have to add a couple pins in length).

From your question about the pull-up resistor, you will have to understand how electricity works and circuits work. I made one small mistake on my board for the mini-sumo and it meant cutting lines and green-wiring... long and not as sure and nice as the board.

So probably Google that part or buy a book. I have "electronic circuits for the evil genius" and I like the book, helps to learn the basic electronics and I sometimes refer to it when I forget PNP or NPN...

Sam

soldier
03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
is this mean that both these pin is input??? then how much current will go in the pin 12 and 15 if 1k pull-up resistor is used ??? what is the maximum current the atom can support??? is it 1K suitable for it??? or need to be higher??? thanks

DresnerRobotics
03-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry, but questions on these forums require a minimum of 4 question marks to be valid. Thanks!

Quantum
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Your jumping way to far ahead. Before you even worry about PS2 controller you need to get your base design down. At leat hook up a Basico Micro and see if you computer recognizes it. For someone starting out planning for all future features is asking for failure. To really do something you really need to grasp the basics. Start small and work your way up. Its easy to add a resistor later. Your question can easily be done with a little math and Ohm's law.

I assume this is most likely a school project. There have been plenty of people before jumping on this forum asking for something laid out. It wont happen. Sorry if thats what your looking for.

If you show some progress people will begin to help alot more than you think!

Otherwise I am not wasting my time doing homework.

soldier
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
ok...thanks... i willl learn from that... thanks :o:o:o

soldier
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
first of all.. sorry for my broken English.. i had build a carrier for BAP28... everything goes fine... i mean the hexapod can be controlled and can walk as usual... but there is one weird problem happening... which is as following detail

1} buzzer keep beeping(non stop)... actually is continuous sound(same frequency after first beeping)...
2} the beeping sound is different than the one where the PS2 controller is not connected to the Atom properly
3} the sound also got a little bit different from the one when we apply power
4} during the continuous beeping sound.. when i press other button such as start button... it will still appear original start button's beeping sound pattern as usual (mix with the continuous beeping)
5} but the buzzer goes normal(pin9 LOW) and fine after i reset it or press square button(ps2) for the (1st press and 2nd press after start button)
6} every time apply power... it will keep beeping(pin9 HIGH) until i press reset or square button (1st press and 2nd press after start button)
7} but the beeping comes again(pin9 HIGH) if i press square button(3rd press and 4th press)... and will goes normal(pin9 LOW at 5th press and 6th press)...
8} the reset button can be press at anytime and works fine(pin9 LOW) anytime i press it
9} conclusion is for square button (1st and 2nd press- Pin9 LOW... 3rd and 4th press- Pin9 HIGH... 5th and 6th press- Pin9 LOW and so on)

but the hexapod can be controlled as usual... please help...

what happen actually??? why i need to press reset or square button(1st,2nd,5th,6thpress)??? please help.. thanks

Quantum
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Try changing the 10K resisor to something between 1K to 3.3K.

soldier
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
i had try to change the resistor.. but still the same... actually i feel weird that why the pin P9 keep HIGH which cause my buzzer keep beeping?? i need to know what things that keep make my P9 pin keep HIGH... thanks... :sad::sad::sad:

Quantum
03-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Thats software that will keep it high or a wiring issue. Post a pic of the built circuit.

soldier
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
first of all.. sorry for my broken English.. i had build a carrier for BAP28... everything goes fine... i mean the hexapod can be controlled and can walk as usual... but there is one weird problem happening... which is as following detail

1} buzzer keep beeping(non stop)... actually is continuous sound(same frequency after first beeping)...
2} the beeping sound is different than the one where the PS2 controller is not connected to the Atom properly
3} the sound also got a little bit different from the one when we apply power
4} during the continuous beeping sound.. when i press other button such as start button... it will still appear original start button's beeping sound pattern as usual (mix with the continuous beeping)
5} but the buzzer goes normal(pin9 LOW) and fine after i reset it or press square button(ps2) for the (1st press and 2nd press after start button)
6} every time apply power... it will keep beeping(pin9 HIGH) until i press reset or square button (1st press and 2nd press after start button)
7} but the beeping comes again(pin9 HIGH) if i press square button(3rd press and 4th press)... and will goes normal(pin9 LOW at 5th press and 6th press)...
8} the reset button can be press at anytime and works fine(pin9 LOW) anytime i press it
9} conclusion is for square button (1st and 2nd press- Pin9 LOW... 3rd and 4th press- Pin9 HIGH... 5th and 6th press- Pin9 LOW and so on)

but the hexapod can be controlled as usual... please help...

what happen actually??? why i need to press reset or square button(1st,2nd,5th,6thpress)??? please help.. thanks

i had edit my post cos got some changes...
im using the code form link (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build159.htm)
for the code.. if im not mistaken.. it will LOW on pin9 if i press nothing right?? and will HIGH only for few second if certain button is pressed... but why mine keep HIGH on pin 9 while im using the same coding?? and work properly if i attach to the BAP28 to the bot-board II

soldier
03-20-2010, 10:16 AM
finally problem solved... its hardware problem...
thanks for u all guys :tongue::tongue:
i should cal u all guru... haha
thanks again :happy::happy:

Quantum
03-20-2010, 03:41 PM
What was the problem?

Ill take a guess here but maybe the buzzer was made to be constantly on?

soldier
03-20-2010, 11:20 PM
my buzzer will keep beeping once voltage is supplied to it....
suppose i should just use transducer which needs PWM supplied to it to make it go beeping... so now i already change my buzzer to transducer... and it works fine now... that's the problem... thanks :happy::happy::happy: