PDA

View Full Version : Way off topic. Any Musicians here?

Quantum
03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
My new baby. I put robots on hold. I know I just said that. But it was worth it.

Bought bare wood components and went from there.

This baby has something like 30-40 coats of paint. Each layer wet sanded. Lots of work but a super smooth finish.

One crazy set of strings.

darkback2
03-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I actually came to the world of robotics through music. I started playing violin, and from there went to computers...Then I started looking for ways to make electronic music more interactive. From there getting into sensors and actuators was a very small step.

I came to this website looking for phidgets because the midi sensor interface I was using died, and I couldn't find a replacement.

I still use MAX/MSP a music program to control my robots. It sort of leaves me out of a lot of the loops in terms of using a lot of the stuff out there, but I can get most things done in my own way.

As for the guitar...Fender style guitars aren't really my style. I find the tone relatively shrill. The double bickup by the bridge should help tone it down though...nice job on the paint. Any thoughts on using servos to control the tuners? or lights in the neck to show what chords to play...or...

:)

Adam
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice looking EVH guitar. Warmoth?

About 18 months ago I built a black korina strat with a Floyd, Evo HSH pickups, and black hardware. I finished it in tung oil. I'm more of a classical player, so the Warmoth pretty much just hangs on the wall lookin' pretty.

I just got a flamenco guitar and started flamenco lessons last week.

Adam
03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
As for the guitar...Fender style guitars aren't really my style. I find the tone relatively shrill. The double bickup by the bridge should help tone it down though...nice job on the paint.

That's why they have a tone knob. :wink:

Any thoughts on using servos to control the tuners?

Have you seen Gibson's line of robot guitars? Google "dusk tiger." You can change to various tunings on the fly. They probably own a patent on that. It has lots of other gee-whiz features. Not my cup 'o tea at all though, and I love robots...

Quantum
03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Adam:
I actually picked the parts from smaller guitar making companies of the Internet. But same idea as Warmoth. I spent about $500-$600. Most of the cost for the Duncan Custom Custom and hardware. I plan to do another one the red version and pick up a orginal pickup of ebay as one pops up once in awhile. The last one I saw went for a several hundred. But I think it will be harder to find the 68 quarter thats wedge in that pig under the bridge.

That Gibson robot lineup is just to expensive. I plan on getting a Les Paul but would rather spend all the money on a traditional version.

DB:

I have though of making a neck setup especially on kid's sized guitars so that they can learn chords in a way that becomes fun. A 3 color led. One color for each finger and flashing for the pinky.

I have always found it easier to learn something after viewing it.

As for the tone it can wreck you or you can play with a nice and soft jazzy sound. It depends on some effects pedeals used.

Adam
03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
That Gibson robot lineup is just to expensive. I plan on getting a Les Paul but would rather spend all the money on a traditional version.

Yes, they are ridiculous. :cool:

My other electric is a Les Paul Studio DC.

The Duncan '78 is supposedly a pretty good reproduction. They used to have a EVH model that they claimed stood for "evenly voiced harmonics." Funny. Now they are going out of their way to say it's not associated with any particular artist. But everyone knows what it is.

Good luck with the quarter. :veryhappy: