PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] arbotiX Robocontroller Specifications(noob)

Bunkerman
03-17-2010, 01:49 AM
i read the manual and i have three questions
1.- how many DC motors and how can I conect it to arbotiX(beacuse are two encoders but to many pins)
2.- can i use CMUCam2+ on arbotiX, and if is can how can i conect it them
3.- why dont you use CMUCam2+

lnxfergy
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
i read the manual and i have three questions
1.- how many DC motors and how can I conect it to arbotiX(beacuse are two encoders but to many pins)
2.- can i use CMUCam2+ on arbotiX, and if is can how can i conect it them
3.- why dont you use CMUCam2+

1. The ArbotiX has 2 channels of DC motor control - both are 1A continuous (2A burst) rated. The motor headers each have 6 pins, 2 pins for motor +/-, an A and a B channel for a quadrature encoder, and VCC and ground pins to power the encoder.
2. The CMUCam2+ is a serial device I believe (if it's anything like the original CMUCam). I interfaced a CMUCam to an AVR quite a while ago, so it can be done -- but if you're using the XBEE and the AX-12 bus, both hardware serial ports are used up, making it a bit more difficult.
3. Huh? I personally don't because there isn't a great amount of stuff you can do with it. Webcam + mini PC is far more versatile.

-Fergs

Bunkerman
03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
if I dont want to use a mini pc, what is the best option to use a camera tant can be conected to arbotix

lnxfergy
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
One of the CMUcam's (the original, v2, or v3) are about all you'll be able to connect to the ArbotiX. But generally, they don't do much more than color blob tracking/recognition, so they are very limited.

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Could use a PC as remote brains; Wifi camera sending video back to the PC, process it there and issue the ArbotiX controlled robot commands via the Xbee connection.

Given that you have a PC, this would be a cheaper & much more powerful solution than anything a CMUCam could offer.

Bunkerman
03-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by lnxfergy http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ambience/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?p=39110#post39110)

1. The ArbotiX has 2 channels of DC motor control - both are 1A continuous (2A burst) rated. The motor headers each have 6 pins, 2 pins for motor +/-, an A and a B channel for a quadrature encoder, and VCC and ground pins to power the encoder.

how can iuse 4 motor

lnxfergy
03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
how can iuse 4 motor

You would have to attach an additional pair of motor drivers.

-Fergs