PDA

View Full Version : Register for robogames !!!

gdubb2
03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
If your going to compete at RoboGames, don't forget to register.

Only 10 days left.........Get 'er done....:eek:

http://www.robogames.net/

Gary

gdubb2
03-21-2010, 12:52 PM
10 days left to register..

gdubb2
03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
9 days...

tuzzer
03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
What if my robot is not complete, would I need to include a picture of it?
Also, I have to finalized all people in the teams who are attending the competition before the deadline? Or I would have opportunity to change it late?

Thanks.

lnxfergy
03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
What if my robot is not complete, would I need to include a picture of it?
Also, I have to finalized all people in the teams who are attending the competition before the deadline? Or I would have opportunity to change it late?

Thanks.

You CAN skip uploading a picture of the bot - however, I'd suggest uploading a work in progress pic so that we can easily identify the bot when you show up. (and a page full of blank bot pictures makes me sad...)

You CANNOT easily (or at all?) change the list of persons attending later on -- also note that you need photos of each person so that an ID badge can be made for them.

-Fergs

tuzzer
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I remember reading the rules about which we have to notify the event organizers regarding how the robots is made and briefly describe its functions and such. Who do we send that to?

DresnerRobotics
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Your progress posts are sufficient.

gdubb2
03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
8 days until you turn into a pumpkin..

For those concerned about team members that are not committed to attending. It is far better to register a team member that may not show up than to not have them registered and be there. It doesn't cost more for team members, just for more robots.

You're friendly nag about registration. Nag.. Nag..

Gary

gdubb2
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
7 days left... get registered...nag nag nag.....Once it closes.. it's closed...

georgeecollins
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I found this forum because someone here is entering (i.e. going to beat me :) ) the walker challenge at Robogames 2010. This is a really cool community. It makes me wish I was entering the MechWars.. next year for sure!

George Collins

lnxfergy
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I found this forum because someone here is entering (i.e. going to beat me :) ) the walker challenge at Robogames 2010. This is a really cool community. It makes me wish I was entering the MechWars.. next year for sure!

George Collins

Welcome! I've seen your posts over on Lynxmotion.

I believe you're talking about my entry into the Walker Challenge (Dexter the Hexter). Dexter's body actually just arrived here today at my lab -- so I still have to install electronics, get him NUKEd (put IK on him, which will actually be the first install of NUKE IK on a hexapod!), and give him his feet sensors, etc. Most of the code that I was trying to make work on Issy should actually work on a hex -- since it's actually stable enough to use feet sensors. Luckily, spring break is next week, so I have a week off to work on several projects (although the project list keeps getting longer).

-Mike

gdubb2
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Times running out to register...NAG..NAG...6 DAYS LEFT..

If you plan on competing.. get registered..

Gary

DresnerRobotics
03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I am registered! So now I can join in on the nagging.

georgeecollins
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Mike-
I have seen your other robots on the net, so I am sure Dexter will be an excellent hexapod. I am disappointed you are not entering a quad, your quads are really good. Nick Donaldson still hasn't registered, but hopefully he will soon. His robot Ziggy is pretty good, much better than my entry. I wasn't able to complete the course last year and I am not sure I will be able to this year either. There are so many problems with Sterylite, that I just want to make a new robot, but not this year.

When I was looking for your robot I saw videos of the Canadian Robot games walker challenfge, which I think had one of your robots. In some ways I think I like that competition better. It seems like a longer course with more emphasis on navigation. I think a longer course with challenges in navigation and ground clearance would be more fun to build for.

Anyway, I am glad you are doing Robogames and good luck building. I will be taking care of my kids on their Spring break, so no building for me :(

lnxfergy
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I was actually hoping to enter a quad, but I just haven't had enough time to make it work. Issy is quite tiny, his legs especially, so that he can carry all that mech wars gear -- unfortunately, that means he has a heck of a time trying to shift his COG enough to keep balanced while walking over obstacles.

Up until about a week or two ago, I had figured I was just going to wait until next year -- but then I picked up this hex. As of about 20 minutes ago, Dex is now walking around -- still have to add batteries, foot sensors, etc, but the basic walking is happening, so that's a good sign. The next generation of Issy is going to be quite different, and hopefully will be good to go for such types of competitions.

As for CNRG, it's a fun time. I believe they are actually going to revamp the rules next year, since we sorta turned it into a drag race. The rough terrain aspects of RG's contest really interest me.

-Fergs

JonHylands
03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
We've (CNRG) talked about it some, and decided that for now we're just going to turn it from an L-shaped course to a Z-shaped course. There are optional obstacles that can be added, for bonus, but that has always been there...

- Jon

georgeecollins
03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I like the CNRG race because you have wall based navigation. In the rules it looked like you could put in a rug, but I didn't see that in the videos. If you had wall or stripe line based navigation, with a rug and 1-2 cm high obstacles on the ground that you had to step over that would be cool. That seems like a good mix between what a lot of people could do and what is still a challenge to people to make robots.

That's my 2 cents.

lnxfergy
03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I like the CNRG race because you have wall based navigation. In the rules it looked like you could put in a rug, but I didn't see that in the videos. If you had wall or stripe line based navigation, with a rug and 1-2 cm high obstacles on the ground that you had to step over that would be cool. That seems like a good mix between what a lot of people could do and what is still a challenge to people to make robots.

That's my 2 cents.

I think I asked you this question last year over on the Lynx forums, and I was running a fire fighting bot last year, so I missed seeing the walker challenge, but, how exactly are people navigating at RG? The bot just tries to walk as straight as possible, eh?

-Fergs

sthmck
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I noticed that there are two options for registration. One is LW and the other is MW. Which of those is hardcore and which is airsoft?

Upgrayd
03-26-2010, 08:40 AM
LW is airsoft and MW is hardcore.

sthmck
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
OK thanks

gdubb2
03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
5 days left folks.. Five.. Cinco..Cinq..Cinque..Funf..Fem..

gdubb2
03-27-2010, 11:41 AM
4 days left.. Don't miss out....4..4..4..4

georgeecollins
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Fergs-

Nick's robots do not seem to do anything for navigation. They are hexapods and they tend to go in a straight line even over uneven ground.

My robot had a terrible time going straight last year. Because the feet broke before the event it couldn't go straight even on flat ground. Quads are also much more likely to get turned on steps then hexapods because you can pivot on the back foot, while a hexapod can always have two other points anchored on the ground beside the foot stepping up.

This year I am using a compass (HMC6352). I have been using a compass on another smaller robot (you can see video at www.trailofdestruction.com (http://www.trailofdestruction.com)) but the same compass does not work well in the body of Sterylite, I think because of the wires and the magnetic fields of the larger motors. Just today I was working on a mast to hold the compass away from the body. I was also working on a thing to hold the cables. Going straight and not falling apart are two challenges that the robot usually fails at.

To test last year I tried having the robot go over 2x4" boards at odd intervals and odd angles. I think if you can do that you can clear 5cm random obstacles.

Put up a picture or some info on Dexter when you can.

gdubb2
03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
3.....3.....3.....3.....TIMES RUNNING OUT....Get registered

Gary the Nag..

gdubb2
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
2 Days left...

dcalkins
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Maybe I'll close registration early just to punish procrastinators.

gdubb2
03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Dave.. you're my hero.. Bwaaahaahaa

dcalkins
04-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Tick

Tick

Tick

tuzzer
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
We have one member in our team who didn't register for the RoboGame. However, now he decided to go. Can he just pay the admission fee and work with the team like a competitor as well?? Or there are area that is competitors only?

gdubb2
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
You might run that past Dave Calkins, since he is Mr. Robogames. Typically the public is not allowed to roam the pit area.

Good Luck
Gary

dcalkins
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
We have one member in our team who didn't register for the RoboGame. However, now he decided to go. Can he just pay the admission fee and work with the team like a competitor as well?? Or there are area that is competitors only?

Badged contestants only in the pits.

DresnerRobotics
04-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Badged contestants only in the pits.

Not to contradict what you're saying (since it's true) but don't we sort of have our own separated pits next to the Mech Warfare arena? At least that's how we set it up last year, away from the Neanderthal Combots guys.... :D

gdubb2
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Neanderthal.....Hey... I resemble that remark.. But I'm evolving.
Gary

dcalkins
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Not to contradict what you're saying (since it's true) but don't we sort of have our own separated pits next to the Mech Warfare arena? At least that's how we set it up last year, away from the Neanderthal Combots guys.... :D

Regardless of WHERE the various pit areas are, there are only supposed to be badges people in them regardless. The new bldg allows for 3 distinct pit areas, with actual doors to control entry:

http://robogames.net/directions/RG2010-fiesta.pdf