PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Sensors

dizzy
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi,
if money is not a major factor, which would be a good, reliable ultrasonic sensor?

Are there any disadvantages to sensors that require only a single pin, such as the PING sonar and Devantech SRF01?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of sonars that are use an I2C connections, such as the SRF10 and SRF08?

Has anyone used the Devantech SRF235? it is advertised as the narrowest beam sonar.

What are your thoughts on the Maxbotix XL series of sonars vs the Devantech models?

thanks much for any advice..

MikeG
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
They are all good sensors. Pick the one that best fits your project requirements.

Adam
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
I've done a lot of testing with a Ping connected to a BotBoard, and it works flawlessly.

MikeG
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I also use the PING))). The PING))) works great. I also use the SRF04 and it works fine too.

dizzy
03-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks much. i have ordered the Ping from Trossen. I've also put an order in for the XL-EZ4 from sparkfun.
The Ping appeals to me because of the single pin connection. Was hoping however that did not mean we sacrifice performance/accurracy. Base on your feed back, you do not seem to feel it does.

Thanks again.

mannyr7
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I've used the Maxbotic EZ1 to Arduino without issue.

MikeG
03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
@dizzy, accuracy and performance are gleamed from the product specs. Have you read the PING))) manual and understand how the sensor works?
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.6.pdf

dizzy
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
@dizzy, accuracy and performance are gleamed from the product specs. Have you read the PING))) manual and understand how the sensor works?
http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.6.pdf
yes, but you know, technical specs vs real world performance are two diff matters...sort of ideal vs practical. I value 'user experience' highly, since there may be so many different external influences on performance that are not necessarily accounted for in a spec.