PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] too tight servo pin spacing on 8 channel micro SSC

rslegge
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I recently received my 8 channel Micro Serial Servo Controller. Fast shipment and good price. The User's Guide was great and, combined with the Pololu Serial Transmitter, I learned how to use it in quick order. It works great. Today I received 8 new servos for my project and plugged them into the SSC and everything works just as it is supposed to.

A design problem: Although the spacing for the ground, power, and signal is just fine, the tops of the servo plugs have a little lip that makes them a little wider than the spacing between the connections. When all 8 are plugged in they fan out at the top and I think are actually bending the board a little.

I hesitate to shave the servo connectors at their top, because they are so small to begin with, but do not want to put the strain of the board. I recommend that the next version of the circuit board is a little longer than .91 inches so some more space could be provided between the servo pins.

Quantum
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Almost all major servo brands dont have a connector like the SG-5010 . I assume this is the servo because of your other post.

The posts are .100 spacing which is the standard. You could always replace the connectors on the servo to the right ones. Your local hobby shop will sell them in packs of 5 for about 6-7 bucks.

I recommend that you either shave or replace the connector. It could damage the solder joints and pads over time. Cause them to pop of the board.

lnxfergy
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Non-standardness (larger connectors, larger mounting hole spacing, etc) is pretty common in lower-cost servos. The phrase "there is no free lunch" comes up often in "cheap-servo" threads.

-Fergs

zoomkat
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I just measured the connector thickness on a SG-5010 and a Hitec HS-422 and both measure at ~2.7mm. Checked a Tower Hobbies and it doesn't have the lip and is ~2.45mm.

Quantum
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Yea its probably the version with the black/red/white leads. This version has a normal connector on it. The version with orange/red/brown has a non standard connector on it.

rslegge
03-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Yes, the servos are the SG-5010 with brown, red and yellow wires. Their plugs are indeed thicker than the plugs on some servo extension cables I bought at HobbyTown. Even though the HobbyTown plugs are still a little thick, I can shave them down enough. Looks like 2.5mm is the maximum thickness to fit the servo controller's pin spacing. Even still, a little more spacing on the pins would not be a bad idea. Thanks for the information. I am sure another issue is just around the corner.

lnxfergy
03-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Even still, a little more spacing on the pins would not be a bad idea.

Such a request is just not that easy -- headers typically come with the same row and column pitch (in this case, 0.1" or 2.54mm)

-Fergs

rslegge
03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Problem solved, bent pins to accommodate larger plug tops. Easy to do, zero cost.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqkvwr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/Plugs.jpg.w300h254.jpg http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqkvwr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/Pins.jpg.w300h271.jpg