PDA

View Full Version : New Mac User, with CNC Dreams...

Imacman
03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Hello... Just found this Company & Group Forum.... I am attempting to build a CNC...problem is I'm on a MAC and there is no software for mac that will run a CNC. I have been reading about the 1062 controller, and it may be the answer to my problem. Although I am not a programmer... I am a designer.... i noticed that the controller can take instruction from Flash using Action Script. In my imaginings... i have visions of creating ( or importing ) my design projects in Flash.... then being able to output them through the usb port to the 1062 controller... and having a fantastic new CNC..... can someone tell me....am I being too hopeful...or even delusional?...lol At any rate... and direction that anyone can give me would be much appreciated. ie... programmers?..websites?..tutorials? Programs??? ( Naww... programs is asking wayyy too much me thinks...lol )

Thanks in advance

Imacman

Newfoundland, canada

Quantum
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
CNCZone.com is your best bet for all the knowledge you need to build your own CNC. They have a great forum about all types of CNC equipment.

Chench
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
If you have an Intel Mac (one of the newer models) you can install Windows along with Mac OS via Bootcamp. Thats what I use for Roborealm, Visual Studio etc.

Imacman
03-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Yes I was thinking windows on my MAC would be an option, but there's no Serial port on an Imac.. I do have a few G3's, G4's & G5 PPC's here...but they won't take windows...lolol.......

I was hoping to use the controller as the controller for a CNC woodworking machine... but I'm be told by the CNC people that the specs on the Controller are insufficient.... and that it can only control one axis at a time... Plus there is some sort of latency issue with USB Ports.... So I'm still searching...... I am in contact with a company Simlab Soft... that makes a great piece of 3D design software called Simlab Composer for MAC..... if they could just get this software to convert the 3D design to G-Code some how... then output it say over the Ethernet port on the MAC..... then the world would be a better place!.... theres a huge market for such a set up. I'm that desperate right now... that I'm even looking to see if I can somehow control the three stepper motors using MIDI signals..... they operate with no latency on a Mac.!...lol I've even just signed up for the RepRap project, I may build one to educate myself to it all. Any advice anyone???

Imac

JonHylands
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
I use an old Dell 1 GHz P3 laptop running Windows XP as the controller on my CNC Sherline milling machine. You can probably pick up a laptop with those specs for a couple hundred dollars, and less if you used an old desktop.

- Jon