PDA

View Full Version : 1st time RoboGames attendee

Stobs
04-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

This will be my first time going to the RoboGames (2010) and I'm also new to robotics in general. I'm mostly interested in the mech-warfare activities (air & hopefully hard). but will try to attend all three days (I might only be able to make Sat & Sun events). Any suggestions for an older "newbie?"

I'll probably be driving up daily, from Seaside (about an hr away), so suggestions on places to eat, and where to park would be great, along with any budget considerations (like, is food at the convention pricey?), would also be most helpful!

Thanks,
Paul

DresnerRobotics
04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Saturday/Sunday will likely be our competition days anyway, so you should be fine there. Friday will likely be an exhibition/practice day.

Can't suggest any food or parking tips as it is at a brand new venue this year, all new for us as well!

gdubb2
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Paul,
Welcome to the world of robotics. There will be a lot of stuff going on at RoboGames, so do try to take in as much as you can.

San Mateo is a new venue for most of us, RoboGames has always been in San Francisco. Usually at Fort Mason Center, but once at San Francisco State U. They have had The Combots Cup at San Mateo, but I didn't go.

So it's sort of an unknown entity. There is parking at the venue. If it's like the parking at Fort Mason, it will be cheaper to not leave unless you have to. Except on foot.

Good Luck
Gary

dcalkins
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Food: Made to order pasta on-site. Very tasty. Otehr stuff too, but the pasta's the best.

Robots: By intent, it's a 3-ring circus. If you see everything and meet everyone, I have failed. So be there as much as you can - watch other events, hang in the pits, and talk to people.

Night: Stay at the official hotel and watch me drink far too many Guinness' with Andrew at the hotel sports bar. Place bets on who falls over first: the fat guy or the ex-soldier.

darkback2
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I guess the coolest part about robogames is just how welcoming everyone is. My first year was a year before last. I immediately was made to feel welcome by the trossen booth, and even put to work telling People about the forums! (actually I volunteered)

Look forward to seeing you!

DB

mannyr7
04-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Food: Made to order pasta on-site. Very tasty. Otehr stuff too, but the pasta's the best.

Robots: By intent, it's a 3-ring circus. If you see everything and meet everyone, I have failed. So be there as much as you can - watch other events, hang in the pits, and talk to people.

Night: Stay at the official hotel and watch me drink far too many Guinness' with Andrew at the hotel sports bar. Place bets on who falls over first: the fat guy or the ex-soldier.

Add, the fat ex-Marine... Cheers, gonna be a good time!

Stobs
04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I'll plan on bringing at least a good portion of my meals and maybe some cold bottled water as well; I don't think I'll be staying locally since I'm only about an hour away - although if I was a betting man, and a fellow fatty :), I'd consider sticking around to see if the ex-soldier would pay off for me! lol Who knows, I might even try my first Guinness - but only if the Clydesdales aren't looking ;) I'm looking forward to getting to know people and draw on peoples insights, and hopefully in the not too distant future be able to keep the wheel turning by helping others in turn - and, yes, a goodly visit at the Trossen booth is high on the agenda! ;) Hehehehehe, sounds like some of you have things in common with my Dad and if he was still around I'm sure he'd send a S.F. your way :D Now, to start planning the weekend... Thanks again everyone!

tuzzer
04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
It will be my first time going to RoboGames too! I started building my robot without knowing anything about electronics and much programming last year..... actually, the robot is not even fully completed yet (still like 20 days, but we have exams!). Either way, I figured that it would be fun to see the RoboGames anyways. And I actually have never ever been near the west coast of United States..... still trying to figure out how to get from San Francisco Airport to San Mateo....

Stobs
04-06-2010, 12:06 AM
It will be my first time going to RoboGames too! I started building my robot without knowing anything about electronics and much programming last year..... actually, the robot is not even fully completed yet (still like 20 days, but we have exams!). Either way, I figured that it would be fun to see the RoboGames anyways. And I actually have never ever been near the west coast of United States..... still trying to figure out how to get from San Francisco Airport to San Mateo....

It's roughly a 15 minute drive according to mapquest; if you post the date & time you expect to get out of baggage claim you might get lucky and find an attendee able to help you out.

PS: Worst comes to worst someone ought to be able to let you know how much a taxi will cost :}