PDA

View Full Version : [Project] PICAXE Rover, unnamed as of yet

elios
04-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Hi All,

Im currently building this little PICAXE rover as a bit of a side project/kitset idea for guys at school to do.

I designed and made a plate of which a Tamiya gearbox bolts onto. This plate is made of clear Acrylic.

A PICAXE is setup on a kiwipatch board, which is mounted on top, and a 3xAA switched battery box is attached with velcro on the back.

Still a bit of a prototype/working design so sensors and stuff are yet to be added.

Motor control is yet to be built. This will be built with a custom made h-bridge.

PICAXE Chip hasnt been wired in, a diagram and code shall be put up later.

elios
04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Got an h-bridge setup completed. Will post circuit schematics and piccies tonight.

When a pin is set high, the motor moves one way. when the pin is set low, it goes the other way. once that pin is set as an input, the motor stops working. Its a tri-state h-bridge run off 1 pin.

Requires a mixture of PNP(BC327) and NPN (BC337) Transistors and an arrangment of resistors and LEDs to ensure nothing blows up with the magical blue smoke :)

elios
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
some photos. Mk I and Mk II models shown here :)

Pi Guy
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Looks great! Very small though, I'm not too used to that. Have you been able to make it write words yet?

elios
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
not yet, the gearboxes are quite old and motors quite hungry, so it struggles to drive in a straight line. The whiteboard pen was meant to be the third wheel :P will keep updated with programs etc.

This little rover is a prototype for a kitset so guys interested in electronics can build them at school.

elios
05-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Just some more piccies and a utube link.

I made another prototype chassis and I think this one has stuck. Got a guy at school to build me an h-bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/v/odcTpGpgT0M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&

elios
05-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Rover has been updated further.

Sent it up to an 'employee' who is doing R&D on it.

some more photos.