PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Boe Bot kit (usb version)

xnonox
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I bought one Boe Bot.
So far i am very happy with it.
already finished the boebot manual book.
i am really glad that i choose boebot, because all of the free to download manual for other projects.

i am looking to buy a boebot kit to start learning robot.
so far i think boebot is the best fit for a beginner like me with no experience.
however, i am open to any other suggestions

btw, i ll really want to learn robotic not just a toy for fun.
so i guess with those humanoid robot, i cant really learn a lot.

thanks

jes1510
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Look at the MINI controller:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/mini-robot-controller.aspx

It's a great little controller that is based on the Arduino so it uses C. This is a much better starting point in my opinion. Add a couple of motors and sensors and use a CD case as a chassis.

It won't be as pretty as a aluminum boe-bot but it will teach you much more. Friends don't let friends program in basic.

xnonox
05-07-2010, 05:23 PM
what is the disadvantages in Basic than C?

btw, the reason i choose boebot to start with is it has books and projects on microcontoroller and boebot
to me , i think it is very useful to start with

i am a mechanical engineering student, so i ll like to learn more about sensor and electromechanical
and now there are just too many things can be done easier using a microcontroller then electrical component.
i have no clue on how to start.

i like to play with a humanoid robot (it looks really cool) , but i am afraid i wont be able to learn a lot about sensor, control, programming .

jes1510
05-08-2010, 03:55 AM
If you start with BASIC then you are stuck with one micro controller. Learn C and you will be able to handle just about all of them.

GWJax
05-08-2010, 09:53 AM
If you want to build the bot from scratch then here are the dimensions for you. As of learning PBasic the command are almost the same as the old GW-Basic in DOS. I enjoy programming it in PBasic or ASM. You can use the chaise with any MCU board you want. Robot C is a very good language to learn but just a bit harder than PBasic. Really it's not a bad idea to learn all the languages that are out there but you'll find one that will fit your needs pretty fast and then you'll stay with it.

Jax

xnonox
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
what are my options of an educational kit that is based on C?
does "bioloid" let me program using C?

i want a kit that is using multiple sensor and maybe some servo motor?

what is a good book to start with?

GWJax
05-09-2010, 10:04 AM
check out this site (http://www.robotc.net/) for more information on Robot C and a free 30 day trial of the program.

Jax

Quantum
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Threre is nothing wrong with starting with the Boebot. Its a nice introduction into robotics and there is tons of support from Parallax's forum. I would also add a ping mounting bracket kit to that order. If you go this route. This kit will keep you busy for some time and you can always experiment with new sensors once you have a decent platform. And there different educational kits as well a large selection of sensors from Parallax & Trossen that will keep you busy for a long time.

As for language differences. You should try to learn a few. Dont stick with one language. They all have different advantages and disadvantges.

I personally use the Propeller from Parallax. It does have its own spin language but it also allows you to mix asmebly language in with your programs.