PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] BaneBot Wheels and Hubs

LinuxGuy
05-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I just purchased a complete four wheel set of 2 7/8" wheels and hubs. It says a 1/16" hex wrench is required for the set screws. I also just bought a nice little hex (allen) wrench set, but the 1/16" size does not work for the set screws I got with the hubs.

Aren't allen wrenches the same as hex wrenches??

8-Dale

darkback2
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Duh!!!

Allen Wrenches are "L" shaped and have six sides...Hex wrenches are "7" shaped and have sides numbering 6. Easy mistake to make. :p

LinuxGuy
05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Duh!!!

Allen Wrenches are "L" shaped and have six sides...Hex wrenches are "7" shaped and have sides numbering 6. Easy mistake to make. :p
Ah, OK. Dang, now I'm going to have to wait to get a proper hex wrench set. :( And the snap ring pliers, which I forgot to order with the wheels and hubs.

Thanks for the clarification.

8-Dale

mannyr7
05-14-2010, 06:15 PM
"Hex key
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A hex key, also known as an Allen key or wrench, is a tool of hexagonal cross-section used to drive bolts and screws that have a hexagonal socket in the head (internal-wrenching hexagon drive). It is also known as a zeta key which refers to the sixth letter of the Greek alphabet. The term hex-head is sometimes used to refer to this type of drive, but this use is not consistent with its more conventional use referring to external-wrenching hexagons. In the fastener industry, the terms socket head or hex socket head are generally used for the driven part of the driver-driven pair."

Alright DB! Sarcasm isn't always as easily recognized in print form. :veryhappy:

You will need to make sure you have the proper size though. SAE (fractional sizes, sometimes referred to as 'standard') or metric (millimeters)

LinuxGuy
05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
It turns out that a 1/16" allen wrench does indeed work with the Banebot hubs I bought. It was the allen wrench I was using that is at fault! I took a closer look at that allen wrench and it turns out to be defective, so I will have to return that set. I bought a better quality allen wrench set today and it works fine with the set screws in the hubs.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the snap rings one because I didn't order the snap right pliers when I ordered the wheels and hubs. I can't justify an order and shipping for just one item.

8-Dale

SteamAutomaton
07-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Duh!!!

I thought Hex wrenches are used to put curses together?:eek:

SA:p