PDA

View Full Version : RG'11 Competitor Status for Exhibition "Mechs"?

Stobs
05-16-2010, 12:10 AM
In roughly a month (I) should be done setting up my initial work bench and will then start my first project. Up until about 10 minutes ago I was planning on bringing both a tank-based exhibition mech as well as a hexapod or quad mech. Realizing that I may very well be hard-pressed to fully develop the (autonomous) tank-mech, and hence may not even get to a currently recognized entry-level mech for 2011, I have to ask if someone who brings an exhibition-only mech would still be granted competitor status to next year's RoboGames?

Edited: ()

DresnerRobotics
05-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Define competitor status.

Stobs
05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
The same competition credentials supplied to other Mech-Warfare participants in order to be able to access and use the pit area(s) in facilitating repairs and/or adjustments to one's mech(s) and/or equipment.

gdubb2
05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
One could always enter one of the other RG catagories that is sort of a catch-all...

Think.. "Best In Show"... all ya need is a degree of coolness..

Once you're registered, you are there..

Gary

Stobs
05-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info Gary :) I really think Mech-Warfare is a big deal - at least it has me really excited about the possibilities and is directly responsible for getting me off of the sidelines sooner than later, so it's important to me to be "Mech-Warfare" credentialed. Hope that doesn't sound too silly, but it is what it is as the saying goes. :)

gdubb2
05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I understand completely, I was just pointing to an easy way of getting full access.

Better get after that Mech design..:veryhappy:

Gary

Stobs
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
lol I've been mulling over designs nearly from the first I heard about Mech-Warfare - thankfully I haven't put any money into accruing parts as yet because, as I get more and more acquainted with the actual mechanisms involved with constructing a "hobby robot," some of the initial "designs" I had in mind were clearly not workable! I'll start a thread that will echo my blog entries when I start working on my first bot.

darkback2
05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
I thought I would post this to clear up any potential misconceptions people might have about how things tend to work at robogames.

There are no special credentials for mech warfare, or any other event. People who register as competitors in a given event are given a badge that gives them space in a pit area (a table) permission to use the venues electricity for charging batteries, and the ability to compete/place in whatever events they are registered for.

For the most part the pit areas are pretty generalized. While the event organizers try to keep things localized, it usually can't work that way for practical purposes. Many teams, and even some individual competitors are entered in several different events, so out of necessity they tend to set up in parts of the pit that are most convenient to them. University of Arizona had a pretty large contingency competing in everything from robot sumo to fire fighting. I think they even had a couple middle weight battle bots. They set up together in one corner.

Mech Warfare shared a space with humanoids, robo magelan, some robot sumo, and even some of the kids with their lego bots. Part of the spirit of robogames is to get roboticists from all walks of life together so that we can all share our expertise given our various backgrounds.

Now as for using the mech warfare arena to test out your robot, or for an exhibition match, that would be at the discretion of the event organizers (which is a pretty amorphous group at this point, but really consists of Andrew Alter), and would probably be limited to time, and the likelihood that your robot will do damage to the arena/tent, or any of the structures inside.

I would suggest you either register for some part of the competition such as best in show, or even just register for mech warfare. If you show up with a tank or a working mech no one is going to do anything except be interested in meeting you and see how your bot works.

Another thing to consider is registering for the shooting gallery. If you plan to automate your tank, you'll probably want to make it able to target autonomously in some way or another. The shooting gallery event is a good lead in to an autonomous mech, and would a good lead in for your tank.

I hope this helps. and good luck with your projects.

DB

Stobs
05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks very much for the clarification DB, most helpful. I would think it'd be autonomous or it wouldn't be, so to me, mobility, navigation, target acquisition, and firing solution would all fall under that heading. I'm not saying I'm actually going to accomplish all of that, just that is what I would expect to be encompassed by an autonomous definition of a mech. I don't anticipate incorporating any "weapons systems" that would fall under the hard-core umbrella at all for the for 2011 RoboGames, but I'll certainly keep the preservation of the arena and combatants along with the safety of all involved in mind. Sounds like registering for the shooting gallery as well as Mech-Warfare could be the perfect solution, so I'll definitely look into that - looks like I'm back into tank-building mode! :D