PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] KL23H286-20-8B For A Robot Application

ROBOTMAN
05-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I was researching motors for my robot which needs to be able to know exactly how far its gone. My original plan was to use motors with encoders but then I came across the keling KL23H286-20-8B here (http://kelinginc.net/KL23H286-20-8B.pdf). Everybody seems to be using this for CNC machine control and I cant seem to find anybody who has used this for a wheeled robot before. Would this be a viable means of propelling a 20-30lb robot? I have never used a stepper motor and only know how they work. It seems like the added control is essential for mapping environments which is my main goal plus as far as I can tell the way steppers are controlled eliminates the need for encoders.

lnxfergy
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
The problem with a stepper is: if it can't generate enough torque to actually move the platform, it won't actually turn (although the control inputs are telling it to), so the actual movement can be widely different than what you are expecting. Based on the listed holding torque, I'd imagine that you can't drive 20-30 lbs around on this (unless you never intend to encounter any slope or drag, or any door thresholds, and even then, it might be dicey)

-Fergs

ROBOTMAN
05-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I would be using 2 motors not just 1 so the torque would be double right? Is there a general rule for how much extra power you should have with stepper motors? I see what you mean though even though the motors are not moving the controller would think it was which = bad mapping data.