PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] serializer questions

nuttyboffin
06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,
im new to this forum and thinking of getting the serializer but wish to know a few questions:

i am new to robotics (non lego) and want to know how hard it will be to use the serializer?
does it need to be connected to the computer to run or can it run a program you upload to it?
i am quite good at C# but how advanced would i need to be to program the serializer?
is it actualy worth the money or is there another, better one out there that works with the .Net framework?
are there lots of tutorials for it and support?

thanks,

Tom Williamson

defwheezer
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
1.i am new to robotics (non lego) and want to know how hard it will be to use the serializer?

Fairly easy assuming you know how to hook up the serial/USB cord from the board to your PC. There are a number of apps on the Robotics Connections website that can be used to test the various functionalities of the board too.

2. does it need to be connected to the computer to run or can it run a program you upload to it?

You need a computer to run this board, think of it as an interface between your PC any sensors/motors on your bot.

3. i am quite good at C# but how advanced would i need to be to program the serializer?

There are many examples on the Robotic Connections website written in C# for just about any sensor or motor set up you might need.

4. is it actualy worth the money or is there another, better one out there that works with the .Net framework?

for $99 it is prolly your best bet, depending on how complex you are planning on getting with your bot. Also plays very friendly with PWM and IC2.

5. are there lots of tutorials for it and support?
There are many examples on the Robotic Connections website written in C# for just about any sensor or motor set up you might need. I use these as a starting point for everything from DC motor control, IR sensors, thermopile, and there are many examples for Speech synthesis/recognition, etc on the web.

nuttyboffin
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
thank you for your help, this could cause a problem scince i will have to use an small laptop or something to run it with which will make makeing a robot 20 times more expensive :(

thanks for the help anyway

Tom Williamson

LinuxGuy
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
You need a computer to run this board, think of it as an interface between your PC any sensors/motors on your bot.
You can also use the Serializer with any micro that can send text based commands out and receive input from a UART (serial port).

I've been thinking about getting one of the Stinger kits with Serializer at some point, and putting a micro on board, maybe even a BeagleBoard just for the heck of it. :)

8-Dale

defwheezer
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
You can also use the Serializer with any micro that can send text based commands out and receive input from a UART (serial port).

Good point! for $99 Serializer + $150 Beagle you can put together a minicomputer with lots of nice analog and digital I/O, H-bridge, motor controllers... Robotic heaven.

nuttyboffin
06-10-2010, 01:23 AM
im thinking of wacking on a motherbored and my 15" screen which runs on 12v 3A
then putting on a hardrive ect and haveing a full PC on it :D
i can probibly get the money (tho im only 13/14)
i can get help from teachers for anything i need and were working on getting together an workshop at my house (me and dad)

i cant wait till were ready to get building

Tom Williamson

defwheezer
06-11-2010, 09:20 AM
im thinking of wacking on a motherbored and my 15" screen which runs on 12v 3A then putting on a hardrive ect and haveing a full PC on it

What kind of robot are you going to make? That rig you describe is gunna take a lot of juice- 12V car battery(s) or tethered to a wall plug...

nuttyboffin
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
im thinking seriously big :D 1m cubed mabye run it of a petrol gen :P