PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Balancing Act

SteamAutomaton
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
We humans have our balancing mechanism (the inner ear) in the our heads. However I was thinking, in robots, where would be the best place for balancing sensor (gyroscope, accelerometer,...) go?:confused: My thought the best place would be in the hip. What are other people's thoughts.

SA;)

gdubb2
06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I feel that in the upper body or head for a biped would be best. When Bheka was configured as a Robonova biped, I had 2 gyros mounted on the shoulders. One for front-back movement, and one for side-side. It worked pretty well, although the front-back actually did the lions share of the work.

Gary

iBot
06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
My first thoughts are that nearer the centre of mass makes any calculation easier.
Humanoid robots have advantage of stiffer upper body compared to humans, so head is closley linked to center of mass.
Maybe for humans this upper body flexibility is an issue, Maybe the important thing for us evolutionary freaks is to closely couple the balance sensor to the eyes.
Just thoughts !

SteamAutomaton
08-01-2010, 02:59 PM
From my understanding, accelerometers sense gravity. What is there output in free-fall?

Yours,
SA:)

jes1510
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Accelerometers sense acceleration. They detect gravity as 1 g's worth of acceleration (static acceleration).

SteamAutomaton
08-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Accelerometers sense acceleration. They detect gravity as 1 g's worth of acceleration (static acceleration).
If I am reading that right, free-fall would be 0 g's?

SA:)

sthmck
08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force