PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Simulacra

defwheezer
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Another Plurimedia Bot from the R&D division of Mental-Escher.Net- Robotic announcer based on a Wowwee Elvis Chassis (sans jacket and hair) and hacked using a Serializer parasite board and some coding to produce a talking head that can speak text (using SAPI TTS) or audio (wave or mp3) files for input.

Mouth servo moves based on viseme (for TTS) or speak frequency audio stream amplitude (for audio files) to provide realistic (sic) mouth movement-speech synchronization.

In autonomous mode, the bot reads from an RRS feed and occasionally blurts out incoherent robo babble. Bot retains the original "Alive" mode which brings the bot to "life", while the robots speech has been completely hijacked using a servo and the parasite board linked to a PC.

This is another step on the path to creating an autonomous roving simulacra (have prototyped the autonomous rover all ready in previous posts as the 'furbot').

Video

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQOnoJK7964)

Borg
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Very creepy. Like Max Headroom (complete with stuttering) but without the personality. I think I'll be having nightmares about this one for a week. But thanks for sharing!!

I'd love to see the details of the robot head mechanics.

gdubb2
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Ahh.. I'm not the only one that remembers Max.. Love it..

Gary