PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with AX-12+ cables & connectors

Pi Robot
07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I've been playing with the AX-12+ servos for a little over a year now and I have experienced a disturbing number of cases where all my servos lock up for no apparent reason until I jiggle all the cables or unplug/plug them one by one. In all such cases, I cannot see anything wrong with the cables or the connectors and I have piles of replacement cables so I don't just have a bad batch.

Have others experienced this problem and if so, have you found a way to make a better connection?

Thanks!

lnxfergy
07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I've had this issue at times -- typically I'm able to track it down to a cable where the plug on the end has loosed up a bit -- replacing the cable makes everything better. Typically, these are cables that are under stress during movement or are frequently moved (the coxa cables on Issy have pretty much all been replaced -- the back and forth movement of the leg causes the receptacle that fits over the pins on the AX-12 to open up, and the electrical connection gets messed up).

-Fergs

Pi Robot
07-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks Fergs. I take some comfort in knowing it's not just me. My servos are the ones on the arms of Pi Robot so they have gone through a lot of large range motions. I'll try taping the cables in more strategic locations to take some of the stress off the connectors.

--patrick

lnxfergy
07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, in certain configurations it's just near impossible to actually get the cable secured -- and those are the ones I see problems with.

-Fergs