PDA

View Full Version : A Japanese Mech Warfare

helishaun
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I don’t know if any of you guys fallow the Biped Robot News Japan blog (http://bipedrobotnewsjapan.blogspot.com/2010/07/1st-robot-survival-game-took-place-in_19.html). They recently posted a detailed article on a Japanese competition which appears to be similar to Mech Warfare. I just want to know what you guys think about the game types and the sensors that were used in their competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbeMfLiFsc

DresnerRobotics
07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Yup, aware of it. I'm glad to see this type of competition expanding!

Their scoring system must be praised for its simplicity- tin foil boxes with solar panels inside. More damage that's done, the more light shines through. Looks like their rule set is entirely different and a bit more 'free for all robot rumble' though.

darkback2
07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it looks like a lot of fun.

master_of_robots
11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
It would be really cool to see a US team challenge the robots seen above. I'd really like to see team based robot battles at some point. I know it's a bit infeasible at the current iteration of Mech-Warfare, but this type of competition could really have worldwide appeal.

DresnerRobotics
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
It would be really cool to see a US team challenge the robots seen above. I'd really like to see team based robot battles at some point. I know it's a bit infeasible at the current iteration of Mech-Warfare, but this type of competition could really have worldwide appeal.

The Open League could easily encompass their ruleset (aside from the FFA nature).

We also have a 2v2 competition bracket slated in 2011.

master_of_robots
11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
The Open League could easily encompass their ruleset (aside from the FFA nature).

We also have a 2v2 competition bracket slated in 2011.

Yes, I am aware of the 2v2 competition, but I was alluding to larger teams of 4+ bots. This could introduce interesting squad tactics, and robots could then be specialized (sniper, heavy firepower, lightweight recon, etc).

lnxfergy
11-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Yes, I am aware of the 2v2 competition, but I was alluding to larger teams of 4+ bots. This could introduce interesting squad tactics, and robots could then be specialized (sniper, heavy firepower, lightweight recon, etc).

Given the reliability of wifi at Robogames, I highly doubt we could get 8 concurrent video streams working.....

-Fergs

master_of_robots
11-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Given the reliability of wifi at Robogames, I highly doubt we could get 8 concurrent video streams working.....

-Fergs

Hence why I said "I know it's a bit infeasible at the current iteration of Mech-Warfare..."