PDA

View Full Version : Dying Plastics Question

elaughlin
08-01-2010, 09:23 PM
So I love how dying the bioloid brackets came out. I did black on the white brackets. But I wanted to take it a step further, but wanted to check on peoples thoughts first, or see if anyone has tried such a thing.

If some type of resin/glue/adhesive material were applied to certain parts of the plastic (like on the brackets) and then were dipped into the dye, would that material block out the dye where it was applied and then after removed?

Just for example of getting my point across I am going to use TAPE, but i don't think tape would work.

Say you:
1. Taped out a design on the white plastic.
2. Dipped the plastic into the black dye.
3. Removed plastic from the black dye.
4. Removed the tape from the now black plastic.
5. Would that design be white plastic, and everything else be black plastic?

I ask this because I used to make etch prints. Where I would dip metal plates into acid, and if I would apply this type of varnish beforehand, anything under the varnish would not be effected by the acid. I thought maybe this would have the same principle with the plastic/dyes. But let me know about what you think about all this.

lnxfergy
08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
If you can keep a cover in place, the dye won't sink in. I left several of the parts attached to each other when dying, and the dye couldn't get to them (specifically, I left the orange C-brackets for Issy's legs attached when I dyed them, when I opened them up recently, I noticed that the part that touched on both brackets was still completely white).

-Fergs

jes1510
08-01-2010, 11:56 PM
You might can use rubber cement as a mask.

elaughlin
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I was thinking of using this stuff that I had used for the etching and kept out the acid when in an acid bath. Its called stop-out varnish. You can paint it on. I am just a little unsure of its holding when in the simmering pot of dye/water.

elaughlin
08-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Its pretty cheap, like 9$ a bottle at an art store. So I will probably try it out on some extra brackets or other plastic, and see if it holds under the heated water.