PDA

View Full Version : [Project] SecurityBot

MasterRapper
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Everybody!
This is my first thread! I'm starting to work on a "SecurityBot"!

This is the list of features need on the robot

1. Shoots Air soft Gun or BB Gun quickly
2. Has wheels and engine/motor so it can move quickly
3. Can move down and up stairs quickly without slipping
4. Web cam so I can see what it sees on my computer monitor
5. A device I can speak to the people I'm near and they can speak back to me
6. Have the gun follow any movement and have a nice shooting program/system, and to view and aim through the web cam.
7. Be able to do all of this wireless on my computer
8. Have 2 arms which have 5 fingers that which I can control each joint
9. Be able to use my own Xbox controller to control all of this through my computer

I need to know what parts/kits to get to make this work!
Please help!

I'll start updating with pictures after I start working on it!

Thanks in advance,
MasterRapper98

DresnerRobotics
08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
You should probably start off with an Arduino and making it blink an LED.

MasterRapper
08-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Well see,

I don't want to use extra money to start with basics. I just want to learn the basics, not make them, and then make the one that I want

mannyr7
08-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Most of this can be accomplished using an arduino. Blinking an led will teach you input, output, and the arduino-C programming syntax. Adding wireless, motor and servo control is a piece of cake after that.

MasterRapper
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks, but what I really want to know right now is how do I control it with my xbox 360 controller?

parallax
08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
It sounds like you are really excited about getting into the world of robotics, and that is fantastic. What I don't think you understand is the scope of the project you are describing and how much skill/education goes into creating something like that. I have seen your posts in a few places and you confess to not knowing much about programming or robotics, but are good with computers. I think that is where most people start out, yet people don't just jump in to making a remote controlled T1000 like you are describing. There is a *good* reason for that.

What you are describing certainly can be done, but it will take more than a post here to do it. That being said, there are a ton of great tutorials and resources on this site that can help you on your way to completing your security bot. Not to mention there are hundreds of experts on this forum that will be able to help you with specific questions, so you can certainly count this as a resource as well.

What Tyberius (Andrew) was saying is that perhaps you should start with the basics. Something like blinking an LED with a microcontroller is kind of a rite of passage. It is a basic project that will teach you some of the ins and outs of what goes into creating robots. Start simple, work bigger. Once you have that down, build on it. If your set on building a robot from the get go there is a tutorial for the "$50 Robot" on www.societyofrobots.com that is geared towards the total beginner. You might try starting with something like that

Like I said I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't think you fully understand how much goes into something like this. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just real.

Also, when you post questions, if you have very specific questions that show some research you are more likely to get an answer. For instance, rather than saying "I need a parts list for a robot that can do <whatever>" you would have much better luck asking "I need a micro-controller that has X amount of EEPROM for <whatever> function- I have looked into these options and would like some feedback." Understand what I mean?

I'm sorry if that seemed like a rant because it wasn't meant to be. :p

Welcome to the forum though, MasterRapper and I hope we can help you get to the level you need to be to build your security bot! I would love to see something like that in action! :)

jes1510
08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Parallax has really good advice. Buy an Arduino and make the LED blink. Next buy a servo and move it with the Arduino. Do all of your research and learn the basics. Nobody will do the work for you.

If you want to have the robot autonomously do #6 then it's going to take more than an Arduino. You're looking at a full blown computer onboard for vision tracking.

darkback2
08-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I would go in a completely different direction than has been suggested. I would start with the chassis, and an RC system that has the mobility you are looking for.

For starters check out a book. Either robot builders bonanza or robot sumo. That will give you a good basis of some of what is involved in what you are talking about.

Second, seriously consider limiting the scope of your project. What you are talking about doing will cost you several thousand dollars to do. (cosider $8,000 as a good low estimate if you don't have the arms and fingers. If you really want those add another $3000)

Check out this chassis.
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/ML-MMP40TB.html

It is probably way out of your price range, but has the mobility you are looking for, and can probably carry the payload you will need.

You don't have to buy that chassis, you can probably build something similar yourself for less money.

Start out by getting something like the above mentioned chassis running via RC remote control. I would figure you will need:

Metal and plexiglass for the body, (http://www.mcmaster.com/)

motors (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5142-FIRST-CIM-Motor.aspx)
Hubs
Wheels/treads (http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/wheels_main.html)
a dual sided electronic speed controller
(http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/VT-RDFR23.html)batteries
an RC radio and receiver.

You might also want to invest in CAD software so that you can plan the whole thing out before you get started spending your hard earned dollars.

Try to leave space inside for a pc like the FITPC so that you can run computer vision software and add plenty of sensors. I would go with touch and IR on the front and back.

Once you have that up and running you can add a pan tilt assembly on which you would mount a gun and camera. There are plenty of tutorials on that part of it either through this site or others.

I would also seriously consider a less ambitious project to start with. Check out some of the simple modified RC car threads on the site. In the least go to your local library and check out the books I mentioned at the top of this whole post.

Good luck.

DB

MasterRapper
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks everybody,
I went to the library last night and checked out 4 books about robots, one of which was "Robot Building for Dummies", and another was "Robot Builder's Bonanza: Third Edition". A lot of the stuff explained most of the features needed for my security bot were listed in the books, but I didn't understand any of the terms and words in the book, and I don't understand how these things work. Could someone give me a list of "needed vocabulary and their meanings" for example, I've heard the word "servo" so many times, my head spins, but I have no clue what it means. As I said, I'm extremely unexperienced, and I'm only a kid. If somebody could give me a list, I would be able to understand this better.

Update 1: I've been emailing lots of robot technicians and programmers for my research. I might drop in to Trossen Robotics store this week because I live 20 mins away from Downers Grove. No pictures yet, sorry.

Update 2: I think I have a hunch about this: http://www.paintballsentry.com/Products.htm if I bought the software kit only, could I use it for number 4 and/or number 6 on my list? Any answers? I emailed the owner of this project but he didn't respond, I think he's still annoyed at me from last time I emailed him, I asked so many questions!

Maybe this as well: YouTube- Arduino + Roborealm = object finder Sorry guys, I shouldn't have questioned you on the Arduino robot, this will work! But how exactly do what the guy int he video did?

Also, since I have number 6, I'm thinking I can take number 4 off the list.

By the way, I've earned enough money to by an Xbox 360 (ROBOT PURPOSES ONLY, just kidding, for gaming too), now I just need to convince my parents to let me get one! For the future of worldly security and gaming! Any suggestions of what I should say to them?

Thanks In Advance,
MasterRapper

lnxfergy
08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks everybody,
I went to the library last night and checked out 4 books about robots, one of which was "Robot Building for Dummies", and another was "Robot Builder's Bonanza: Third Edition". A lot of the stuff explained most of the features needed for my security bot were listed in the books, but I didn't understand any of the terms and words in the book, and I don't understand how these things work. Could someone give me a list of "needed vocabulary and their meanings" for example, I've heard the word "servo" so many times, my head spins, but I have no clue what it means. As I said, I'm extremely unexperienced, and I'm only a kid. If somebody could give me a list, I would be able to understand this better.

Update 1: I've been emailing lots of robot technicians and programmers for my research. I might drop in to Trossen Robotics store this week because I live 20 mins away from Downers Grove. No pictures yet, sorry.

Thanks in advance,
MasterRapper

This tutorial is a pretty good starting place: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/introduction-129/so-you-want-to-build-a-robot-3126/ -- and yes, it tells you what a servo is. You really need to learn the basics before you start "emailing robot programmers" -- they're quite busy people, and typically don't have time to hold hands and lead beginners through lessons they could just as easily learn by reading up on the topic.

Also, note that Trossen does not have a storefront, so you can't exactly drop in.

-Fergs

MasterRapper
08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
This tutorial is a pretty good starting place: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/introduction-129/so-you-want-to-build-a-robot-3126/ -- and yes, it tells you what a servo is. You really need to learn the basics before you start "emailing robot programmers" -- they're quite busy people, and typically don't have time to hold hands and lead beginners through lessons they could just as easily learn by reading up on the topic.

Also, note that Trossen does not have a storefront, so you can't exactly drop in.

-Fergs

Can you buy products from there? I'm not really much of an "online-buyer" but if needed, I'll do whatever it takes to get some security in the basement (my room:happy:)

Thanks for the link, helped a lot!

--MasterRapper

parallax
08-18-2010, 08:21 PM
@Fergs: That is a great tutorial you put together! I'll be sure to refer people to it in the future.

@MasterRapper: I'm really glad to see you haven't been discouraged, and have taken everyone's advice. In terms of particular vocabulary: if you can't find out what it is somewhere on this site, just remember that Google can be your best friend. I've never failed to get some information by putting a "What Is" in front of a term I didn't know into a Google search. If for whatever reason that doesn't work, post a question about the term with whatever background information you do know and someone will fill you in.

DresnerRobotics
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
We (Trossen Robotics) are indeed an online retailer. You can arrange will-call pickup if you're local, but there is no store front to speak of.

zoomkat
08-20-2010, 08:54 PM
3. Can move down and up stairs quickly without slipping

This is probably the most difficult and expensive part of your project. If you get it figured it out then the rest will be easier.

darkback2
08-20-2010, 10:15 PM
It would probably be cheaper/safer for the bot, to build two. One at the top of the stairs and a second one at the bottom with an easy way to switch back and forth.

MasterRapper
08-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Update 3: Buying the Arduino Starter Kit, I maybe be able to use RoboRealm or the Paintball Sentry Software Kit for number 4/6 on my list. Any suggestions of parts for number 3? DB, how would I do a switch for up/down? I'm thinking I could use LB and RB to control this switch on XBox 360 controller. Maybe R button for firing gun, A button to move forward, B backward, etc.

darkback2
08-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you plan on controlling the robots via some remote method, then it would be a Matter of switching the controls from one bot to the other. it would really depend on your software. Given that i use MAX you probably don't want advice from me.

If your bots are autonomous then you could just build two and let them run wild As it were.

hope this helps.

DB