PDA

View Full Version : MosquitIO desktop turret

draikani
08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Just got mine in the mail today. Put it together no problem, instructions were very clear. I'm not really sure what the next step is though. I assume the nifty looking control panel on the item's page is the python app? So I have to download python and run that app? If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I'm running OSX 10.6

Thanks!

lnxfergy
08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
The fancier GUI shown on the page is actually the Visual C# app listed. I'm not entirely sure if it can run under OSX (you could try installing "mono", which is the open source cross-platform C# runtime, however, I'm not too sure how well it supports GUI stuff from C#, and I'm also not sure it runs under OSX, I've only used it for command line programs under Linux).

The Python app that comes packaged with the Arduino sketch is a command line only program -- it has no GUI. It basically runs through and tests each function of the firmware (in developing the firmware this was the program I used to be sure it met the specifications). You will have to install Python to run this app.

-Fergs

draikani
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I get the feeling it might be better to just do all my robotics stuff on the windows side... Assuming I do, what do I need to do to get that GUI running?

Matt
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey,

Yes, life will be much easier on the windows side.

MS Express (free) http://www.microsoft.com/express/
Install C#

Then get started with the C# sample app
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Downloads/Sentinel/MosquitIOMVSC_Source.zip

Study the app to learn the code and then hack away!

Good luck :)

lnxfergy
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I get the feeling it might be better to just do all my robotics stuff on the windows side... Assuming I do, what do I need to do to get that GUI running?

There's plenty of us using Linux or OSX. Don't be scared away in general. This particular product is currently better suited for Windows - I guess I should extend that python test app into a full blown GUI.

Yes, life will be much easier on the windows side.

Bite your tongue off. :p

-Fergs

mannyr7
08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you tried Parallels or bootcamp to install windows on your Mac?

Matt
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
>>>This particular product is currently better suited for Windows

yeah, yeah, yeah, that part was inferred. Due to the current code examples available on a brand new product. (You disclaimer nazi! :mad:)

DresnerRobotics
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
And Godwin's law hath finally proven itself on the TRC.

draikani
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
I do run bootcamp for vista. I think I'm going to repartition and reinstall before I get started on all this stuff though. Originally I had set aside only about 32Gigs because I refused to admit I would ever use windows for anything other than Solid Works. That space is going fast =( Thanks for all the input, I'll try to put up a video/review of the product after I get everything running.

mannyr7
08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I do run bootcamp for vista. I think I'm going to repartition and reinstall before I get started on all this stuff though. Originally I had set aside only about 32Gigs because I refused to admit I would ever use windows for anything other than Solid Works. That space is going fast =( Thanks for all the input, I'll try to put up a video/review of the product after I get everything running.

Normally, I would never suggest such heresy, but sometimes it's necessary...:cool:

netmask
10-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Just got mine in the mail today. Put it together no problem, instructions were very clear. I'm not really sure what the next step is though. I assume the nifty looking control panel on the item's page is the python app? So I have to download python and run that app? If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I'm running OSX 10.6

Thanks!

So dumb question for you.. when you first powered it on, did you servos both immediately start to move?

I needed slightly stronger servos, so i swapped in some HS-5645MGs that were laying around.. which happened to also have been modified for continuous.. so not sure if thats related, but as soon as i applied power it would just spin endlessly. not sure what the default code on the arduino is typically configured to do. (and im a noob at this in general)

DresnerRobotics
10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
That's probably the analog mode kicking in, it happens if you touch the pins and it's not receiving serial data. As soon as it receives a command it will kick out of analog mode. These come preprogrammed (I'd suggest checking the manual, it explains the modes and firmware)

netmask
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
That's probably the analog mode kicking in, it happens if you touch the pins and it's not receiving serial data. As soon as it receives a command it will kick out of analog mode. These come preprogrammed (I'd suggest checking the manual, it explains the modes and firmware)

Thanks, I'll take a look. I must have misplaced the manual, didn't notice one with the kit, just the links on the instructions to build the actual unit. Will hunt tonight!

Thanks

DresnerRobotics
10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
All the documentation is provided on the product page down in the section full of links! =)

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/desktop-robot-turret.aspx

draikani
11-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Ok so I've downloaded the Arduino software, But when I go to my Arduino folder in my documents to add the board, the folder is empty. Now the Arduino folder says it has about 22Mb of stuff in it, I just can't see anything. Probably something simple but I'm stumped. All help is much appreciated, thanks guys :happy:

DresnerRobotics
11-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Can I ask why you're messing with the Arduino IDE? Reason being is that the board, while it's open source firmware, is primarily intended to just be used with the default firmware. You send it commands via USB from your computer and it responds, etc. For 95%+ of all the users, the default firmware is more than enough.

The firmware was written by a pretty competent CS major, so unless you plan on rewriting all of it from scratch there isn't much use to diving into that. Those that choose to reprogram it are generally pretty experienced with the Arduino IDE and language.

As to your question- where did you install the root arduino folder? It should be over 100 megs or so, on some computers that is where you need to add the board.

draikani
11-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Yes, the default software is fantastic. I'm definitely not trying to improve upon the current software. I was planning to use this board to control my other projects in place of buying something more expensive, and I can always just reload the default firmware right? For now at least, the board seems well suited to a small rover or some such. From your reply though, it seems like thats maybe just not what this board is intended for?

The actual Arduino application is just under 200 megs, the Arduino folder in documents is just over 20 megs, but seems empty when I open it.