PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo 2WD

lnxfergy
08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Thought I would post about my new ArbotiX-ROS powered differential drive platform. As I've mentioned, the ArbotiX-ROS drivers support controlling a differential drive base and this is the robot all of that has been tested on.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/armadillo.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/armadillo-interior.jpg

Specs:

ArbotiX inside case to control motors, servos.
Fit-PC running Ubuntu 9.10 and ROS.
4DOF AX-12 based arm.
URG-04LX-UG01 scanning laser.
Stereo camera set (Minoru camera) will be installed on arm.
Powered by an 11.1V 4300mAh battery.

It's running the standard ArbotiX ROS driver, using a joint_controller on the arm, and a base_controller for the base. I'm getting great odometry out of the base so far (still need to tune the PID for the control though), so I think this base is going to work excellently with the ROS navigation stack. I'm still working on cleaning up the IK for the arm, and also implementing collision-free IK (based on a point-cloud from the stereo camera and the laser scan).

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
That's a mighty fine arm you got there.

And mighty fine lasercutting too.

:D

PS: The name is awesome, love it.

Stobs
08-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Looks great lnxfergy - aside from the ArbotiX is that a kit?

lnxfergy
08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Looks great lnxfergy - aside from the ArbotiX is that a kit?

Not yet. The arm part is an upcoming kit (along with those hexapods and quadrupeds you've probably seen). The base, however, is just something I drafted up last week and got cut out. It's going to need at least one more revision before it's mostly ready for action.

We've discussed the possibility of the base becoming a kit, but I'm not sure at this time. If it doesn't become a kit, I'll be sure to at least post the DXF files so interested parties can build their own.

-Fergs

Stobs
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Yet being the operative word! FWIW I think it'd be a very nice offering - certainly has a "retail appearance" to it.

ROBOTMAN
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Where did you get the material you created the base from? None of my local hardware stores seem to carry any sort of reasonably priced plastic sheeting.

tician
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
The thickness and texture of that looks a lot like the black poly (either polypropylene or high density polyethylene) cutting boards I've seen at Target.

lnxfergy
05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
It's black ABS, you generally have to order it online from a plastics or hardware distributor.

-Fergs