PDA

View Full Version : [Contest Entry] MARC: Military Armed Reconaissance Combat Robot

italian_guy299
09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey all, I haven't been on this site for years, I'm originally from the lynxmotion.net community forum (and still am to this date, just not too active because of school and such). When I heard about a new contest I had to post my project. I did this for the BASEF (Bay Area science and Engineering fair) back when I was 16 and didn't know much about the robotics.

Anyways, on to the project:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p229/italianguy299/000_0001.jpg

Abstract

Purpose

The intention of this project was to determine the following question; Can an inexpensive, and lightweight prototype robot be designed, built, and tested by myself, capable of reconnaissance, disarming a hostile human, combat in remote, rural, and urban areas, operate on severe terrain, Assist soldiers in combat, and perform tactical missions for Military, SWAT, and law enforcement?

Hypothesis

I think I will be able to design, build and test an inexpensive, prototype robot capable of performing all these tasks, by extensive research and the presently available technology.

Procedure

The following procedure will be used throughout this project:

Research use of robotics in law enforcement.
Research components and capabilities and their functions
Design robot platform and accessories using computer software.
Build robot platform and accessories with components
Test performance of robot through series of obstacle courses and scenarios. Observe how robot responds.

Materials

ü 3X Pieces of Lexan Plastic
ü 4X Gear Head Motors - 12vdc 30:1 253rpm (6mm shaft) (http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=186&CategoryID=11)
ü 1X Sabertooth 2X10 Motor controller
ü 1X Radio Reciever/controller
ü 2X Lynxmotion 3” tracks
ü 4X Lynxmotion 9 link sprockets
ü 4X Lynxmotion Universal Hubs 6mm
ü 8X Lynxmotion Servo Erector Set Brackets
ü 1X Fully Automatic Air Soft Gun
ü 1X Portable DVD Player
ü 1X Pico Switch
ü 5X Ni-MH Batteries 7.2v, 6v
ü 3X 9V Duracell Batteries
ü 4X Nylon Hex Standoffs 3”
ü 1X spring
ü 2X HS-422 Standard Servos
ü 1X HS-645 Standard Servo
ü 1X 2.4 GHz Wireless Camera
ü 1X 1.2 GHz Wireless Camera
ü 1X On-board Battery Checker
ü 4X on/off Switches
ü 1X Cold Cathode Lights
ü 5X 9V battery Clips
ü 2X Spacers ½”
ü 2X Door Hinges
ü Speaker Wire
ü Double sided Tape
ü Heat Shrink / Wire Tape
ü Wire Ties
ü Hardware
ü Wood
ü Tools: Drill Press, Screw Drivers, Pliers, Hack Saw, Wire Stripper, Exacto Knife, Vice, Framing Square, Measuring Tape, Hot Glue Gun, Soldering Iron, Allen Keys, Metal File

Results

I was able to confirm that the robot is able to assist soldiers in combat, perform reconnaissance, perform combat, and operate on severely challenging terrain through various tests conducted on the robot testing each function of the robot. I now know the robot is able to travel an average speed of 1.66 feet per second, shoot with an accuracy of 1.5cm’s, and operate on severely challenging terrain at 50% regular operation.

Conclusion

I was able to conclude that indeed I was able to design, build, and test an inexpensive, and lightweight prototype robot be designed, built, and tested by myself, capable of reconnaissance, disarming a hostile human, combat in remote, rural, and urban areas, operate on severe terrain, Assist soldiers in combat, and perform tactical missions for Military, SWAT, and law enforcement. This proves a full scale robot can be built using present day technology.

The Military Armed Reconnaissance Combat Robot (MARC Robot) is a tracked, unmanned, radio controlled vehicle I designed, built, and tested to enable it to perform various tasks for the field of military and law-enforcement. The inspiration of this robot came from a multitude of real life military robots I found through research. The military uses a combination of unmanned air, land and sea vehicles for reconnaissance, anti-personnel landmine detection, and target bombing.

The UV’s that inspired me to create the MARC Robot are the Foster-Miller TALON Robot and the I-Robot Packbot. The Packbot is a small tracked platform used for surveillance, HAZMAT, chemical detection and bomb disposal. This robot is used for SWAT and Special Forces applications. The TALON Robot is also a small tracked vehicle which weighs less than 100lbs. This robot is currently being used in Iraq to perform audio and video surveillance, detection of bombs, and chemical and radiation detection. It can also be equipped with M240 or M249 machine guns or Barrett 50 caliber Rifles. These add-ons were field tested in Kuwait prior to deployment in Iraq. The cost of this robot is $230,000.

The difference between the MARC Robot and these UV’s is the size, weight, cost, and basic controls. Because this is a prototype, it is made of hobby components which are inexpensive and compatible with much more standard industrial parts; however, even a more industrial robot can be at least ten times less than these robots. This has been proven by Evolution Model Technology. The creator Garret Fisher is a fellow member of Lynxmotion.net, a community of robotic enthusiasts who discuss the latest news related to robotics. Evolution Model Technology believes “Taking officers out of harms way should be affordable”, (Garret Fisher).

I hope to achieve the same with the MARC Robot.

italian_guy299
09-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Its a bit long and I had about 38 pages worth of information on it as well as over 150 hours put into the project (and it was tough back then during school!). If any of the judges wish to see the FULL documentation please feel free to contact me and i can send the word document to you by e-mail.

defwheezer
07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Cool- what was the dvd player for?

italian_guy299
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM
The portable DVD player was connected to the pinhole camera's receiver through RCA input. It allowed me to be anywhere (within 100ft or so) controlling the robot. I intended to make a briefcase control station, but only went far enough to mount the controllers and screen on a piece of plywood.

thanks for the reply.