PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] my own spin on the Phantom X

ahack3r
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey guys, I have just joined this website after finding your youtube channel, and from the looks of your products and forum, you are a Godsend :) before I purchase the Phantom X http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/phantomX-robot-turret.aspx robot turret, I am wondering if its possible to buy everything in the kit excluding the plastic platform and the Roborealm license? I am interested in this because I want to develop my own computer vision software using OpenCV and I will be building my own platform. If so can I get this information?:

how well does openCV work on it?
what language works best for developing both autonomous and PC control code for it?
can I get links to all the seperate parts that are included in the kit?

thanks for the help.

lnxfergy
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
You'll notice, right on the page, there is a section "kit includes" which has the parts list (at least what can be purchased separately). The controller runs a simple program for communication with the PC -- you can communicate with it using any language that can open a serial port.

I don't believe anyone has used OpenCV with it directly (I do use OpenCV within ROS, and the ArbotiX does have an ROS wrapper), but if you're enough of a C/C++ programmer to make real use of OpenCV, interfacing to the ArbotiX should be a snap.

-Fergs

ahack3r
09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
You'll notice, right on the page, there is a section "kit includes" which has the parts list (at least what can be purchased separately). The controller runs a simple program for communication with the PC -- you can communicate with it using any language that can open a serial port.

I don't believe anyone has used OpenCV with it directly (I do use OpenCV within ROS, and the ArbotiX does have an ROS wrapper), but if you're enough of a C/C++ programmer to make real use of OpenCV, interfacing to the ArbotiX should be a snap.

-Fergs

thanks for the info :happy: I've been reading up on ROS and its impressive...but not stable enough for me, how much progress do you expect to have completed on it by, say December?

Adrenalynn
09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
ROS is being worked on by one of the foremost teams in robotics on the planet right now. Fergs has an interface from ROS to the arbotiX - he's not writing ROS. That'd be Willow Garage's team.

You would be an impressive programmer indeed if you could beat ROS' engineers to the punch, given their number, their head-start, and their pedigree! You might also consider applying there (along with the looooong line of other applications), it's a pretty sought-after place to work in the space.

ahack3r
09-09-2010, 09:45 AM
very cool, are members of the ROS team forum members here?

lnxfergy
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
very cool, are members of the ROS team forum members here?

Core team members really don't visit here -- although several members of the forum are ROS users and developers of their own ROS-related software. There is a separate ros-users list maintained at ros.org (for announcements and support).

-Fergs

ahack3r
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM
very cool, thanks for the info again. I have two more questions, if you don't mind:

what are your thoughts on developing Aforge.net with the Arbotix board?
in the video's of the Turrets, they are only shown tracking COLOR, is this the only method of motion tracking they are capable of out of the box?

Adrenalynn
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
dotNet will open a serial port just fine. So you can talk to the arbotiX all you like.

ahack3r
09-12-2010, 02:42 PM
dotNet will open a serial port just fine. So you can talk to the arbotiX all you like.

:robotsurprised: awesome! after talking to people on the Arduino forums, I asked the same questions and they said that openCV or any motion tracking software would be too large for Arduino based microcontrollers to process and told me to look elsewhere :( I guess the Arbotix is the exception ;)

lnxfergy
09-12-2010, 02:53 PM
:robotsurprised: awesome! after talking to people on the Arduino forums, I asked the same questions and they said that openCV or any motion tracking software would be too large for Arduino based microcontrollers to process and told me to look elsewhere :( I guess the Arbotix is the exception ;)

No. You're not going to run OpenCV on the ArbotiX -- or anything but an Intel based PC. What you can do is run OpenCV on a laptop/PC and then use the ArbotiX to interface the laptop/PC to your servos and other hardware. This is exactly what that demo of the PhantomX is doing -- except with roborealm on the PC rather than OpenCV. You would communicate with the ArbotiX over a serial port connection from your PC-side program (hence Adrenalynn's comment that dotNet can open serial port).

-Fergs

ahack3r
09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
No. You're not going to run OpenCV on the ArbotiX -- or anything but an Intel based PC. What you can do is run OpenCV on a laptop/PC and then use the ArbotiX to interface the laptop/PC to your servos and other hardware. This is exactly what that demo of the PhantomX is doing -- except with roborealm on the PC rather than OpenCV. You would communicate with the ArbotiX over a serial port connection from your PC-side program (hence Adrenalynn's comment that dotNet can open serial port).

-Fergs

that's exactly what I told the Arduino people! :mad: well thanks for the useful information, so far you guys have helped a ton and I can't wait to get started on my project :D

ahack3r
09-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I have one more question about the Arbotix boards that I can't find an answer for: can I use Arduino libraries and or source code on an Arbotix? if so what change(s) need to be made for it to work?

lnxfergy
09-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I have one more question about the Arbotix boards that I can't find an answer for: can I use Arduino libraries and or source code on an Arbotix? if so what change(s) need to be made for it to work?

Depends on the library -- if it uses only the basic arduino interfaces (digitalWrite, digitalRead, etc) it should run fine. If it makes reference to registers -- it probably will require updates to work on the different AVR that the ArbotiX uses.

-Fergs

ahack3r
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Depends on the library -- if it uses only the basic arduino interfaces (digitalWrite, digitalRead, etc) it should run fine. If it makes reference to registers -- it probably will require updates to work on the different AVR that the ArbotiX uses.

-Fergs

and where would I obtain these specific updates?

DresnerRobotics
09-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Here's looking at you kid.

lnxfergy
09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

The core libraries (serial, twi, spi, etc) have been updated already -- they come with the ArbotiX downloads. Additionally, we publish the RoboController libraries for controlling specific hardware on the MINI and ArbotiX. Beyond that, if you want to use a custom third-party library, you'll need to look into the code to see if it needs changes, and then apply them yourself.

-Fergs

ahack3r
09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
The core libraries (serial, twi, spi, etc) have been updated already -- they come with the ArbotiX downloads. Additionally, we publish the RoboController libraries for controlling specific hardware on the MINI and ArbotiX. Beyond that, if you want to use a custom third-party library, you'll need to look into the code to see if it needs changes, and then apply them yourself.

-Fergs

:D awesome! thanks for the information, it will help tremendously.

ahack3r
11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
sorry to resurrect a dead thread

I have two more questions:

when will the Visual C# .NET Sample Application & Source and Roborealm Colored Object Tracking Demo be posted? I would really like to have this documentation before purchasing.
what webcams are compatible with the Arbotix and ROS? I will be using the OpenCV library.
I will be using Ubuntu 10.10, what changes do I need to make?

thanks!

lnxfergy
11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
when will the Visual C# .NET Sample Application & Source and Roborealm Colored Object Tracking Demo be posted? I would really like to have this documentation before purchasing.

I can't answer this one as I'm not the developer -- but you might shoot an email to Alex at Trossen Robotics to find out.

what webcams are compatible with the Arbotix and ROS? I will be using the OpenCV library.

The ArbotiX knows nothing about webcams, that's all handled up on a PC. Therefore, you're looking at what is supported by ROS or OpenCV. Any webcam that has decent V4L support should work under Linux.

I will be using Ubuntu 10.10, what changes do I need to make?

Well, neither roborealm nor the C# code are going to work.... As for ROS, I'm not sure the status of the binaries for installation under 10.10 -- last I knew, they weren't complete for cturtle.

-Fergs

ahack3r
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't answer this one as I'm not the developer -- but you might shoot an email to Alex at Trossen Robotics to find out.

The ArbotiX knows nothing about webcams, that's all handled up on a PC. Therefore, you're looking at what is supported by ROS or OpenCV. Any webcam that has decent V4L support should work under Linux.

Well, neither roborealm nor the C# code are going to work.... As for ROS, I'm not sure the status of the binaries for installation under 10.10 -- last I knew, they weren't complete for cturtle.

-Fergs

well...thanks for the webcam info :happy: I'm glad I haven't formatted my win7 partition yet!:eek: