PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic: Webcam recommendation request

Stobs
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
It seems that off-topic posts are seldom made here from what I can see, but I'm hoping that they're not entirely forbidden - if so I do apologize. I was looking at the Trendnet TV-IP600W to use as a webcam so that I can watch football games with my twin bro back in NY while I'm either out here in CA or finally back down in my AZ house. The problem is that, although it does have pan/tilt/zoom abilities which would allow me to zero in on the plasma for game action and pull back to see the family otherwise, it's only one-way audio and that obviously won't work. The first few reviews I ran across didn't mention that specifically, although I obviously missed the reference in product specs if it was listed there. I figured with, what seems like a fairly good knowledge-base in this area within this community, that I'm hoping someone would offer a suggestion. Again, I'm a bit hesitant to ask for recommendations here, but with the football season about to begin, if it hasn't already [I'm keeping away from news-sources until I(we) get the webcam(s) up], I'm hitting a wall in gaining a timely solution. My bro's system is upstairs while the big screen is in the downstairs living room, so he wants a wireless unit to go with his cable broadband router. Neither location as to where I'm staying in CA nor my home down in AZ has cable ISP services for these ddresses - and I shudder to think what the bandwidth costs would be of streaming three to four hours of video, albeit indirectly, a week would be for satellite connectivity. With that, your advice/recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stobs

Adrenalynn
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
That was like a giant wall of text. But am I correct in reading you're looking to stream realtime video with PTZ over a satellite link?

Stobs
09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
DSL in all likelihood, unfortunately. And sorry about that - I can be a bit wordy, especially if I think clarifying details are necessary :}

Adrenalynn
09-10-2010, 11:01 PM
No worries. The occasional [enter] helps a lot between paragraphs.

DSL is a doable solution. I had just seen you mentioning satellite in there. Latency is the killer over satellite.

I have a camera on clearance right now that is wifi (802.11g), has mic in, a/v out, and is PTZ. The included software will do click-to-move-on-image as well. They're VGA res MP4. I only mention it because we're moving them out for the latest generation HD stuff, so price is below wholesale. I don't want to spam you. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Stobs
09-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info Adrenalynn - PM sent!