PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] ArbotiX baud rate(s)?

Pi Robot
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey Fergs,

Am I correct in assuming that the ArbotiX connects only at 38400 baud? I just discovered that the Serializer (version 2.0) connects at every baud rate *but* 38400! I was planning on using a three node XBEE setup with the PC node beaming to both boards. But I'm guessing I have to run everything at the same baud rate which now does not seem possible...

--patrick

lnxfergy
09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
You can change to a different baud rate -- you just have to change the firmware (right in setup() change 38400 to something else in the line serial.begin(38400)).

The reason we chose 38400 is because that is the speed that the bootloader runs at -- and so if you want to do wireless upload of code, 38400 is the baud needed. Other tools, such as PyPose will also need mods to run at something other than 38400 (has to currently be done in the code), however it's very easy to change to a different baud rate under the ROS package (can be set through the parameter server as /arbotix/baud)

-Fergs

Pi Robot
09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Fantastic!

--p

Pi Robot
09-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to share a picture of Pi Robot with his new ArbotiX jet pack on. :veryhappy:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2112&d=1284310230

lnxfergy
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok, I realize this is a bit of thread hijacking -- but I think we've solved the original issue so it's OK. Do you have any more photos of the construction of the omnidirectional camera? I've got a pile of christmas ornaments here that are begging to get put to use (the first construction, with coathangers and cardboard wasn't too robust).

I know you're using clear plastic tube, but how do you attach at the top and bottom to make it rigid?

-Fergs

Pi Robot
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Here are a few more pics. Note that the mirror is no longer a Christmas ornament but a hyperbolic mirror I had custom made so I could more easily mount it this way. However, the image quality is not much better than a good ornament and if you could saw the ornament in half, it should work just as well.

I got the tubing online from McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8486k457/=8tjlpl

(The tubing from Tap Plastics does not have sufficient optical clarity for this application--in fact it has very visible vertical streaks that severely distort the image.)

The camera is a USB Philips SPC1300NC stuck to a plastic plate from Tap Plastics using carpet tape. It has a manual focus ring which helped when putting the mirror that close to the lens. The bottom plate and top disc (on top of the tube) are also from TP. The mirror is bolted to the top plate while the plate itself is glued to the tube.

--patrick