PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] Python Serializer library available

Pi Robot
09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Folks,

Inspired by Mike's work on developing an open source Python library and ROS package for the ArbotiX, I put together a Python library for the Robotics Connection Serializer microcontroller. For the most part, the library simply wraps the Serializer's firmware commands so that you can access them from your Python program. However, I have also added some convenience functions such as get_PhidgetsTemperaure() if you have a Phidgets temperature sensor on one of your pins. Similar functions are included for Phidgets Voltage and Current sensors as well as the Ping sonar and Sharp GP2D12 IR range sensors. There are also some special PID functions such as mogo_m_per_s() which allows you to move your drive motors in meters per second if you have your VPID and DPID parameters set up correctly.

In any event, you can find out more and get the current version from:

http://www.pirobot.org/code

There are four example files included with the library to give you an idea how it works.

Note that I was unable to test a number of functions since I don't have the relevant sensors including:

* get_maxez1 (for the MaxEZ1 sonar sensor)
* step (used with a bipolar stepper motor)
* sweep (also used with a bipolar stepper motor)
* srf04, srf08 and srf10 (used with a Devantech SRF04, SRF08 and SRF10 sonar sensors)
* tpa81 (used with the Devantech TPA81 thermopile sensor)
* line (used with the Robotics Connection line following sensor)

So if someone can test any of the above, it would be great to hear from you.

In the meantime, I am working on a ROS package for the Serializer based on this Python library. So far it is working quite well but I still have some more testing to do before it is ready for release.

--patrick

Peter_heim
09-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Hi Patrick
I have tried your programs under linux and i have managed to get them to work i'm still tring to sort out my board and robot to get it to work smoothly. get_maxez1 in the examples will freaze the program if get_maxez1 returns NACK(for some reason i get NACK the first try) on the restart it works great
i tried to use serializer under windows but i get the following error

Connecting to Serializer on port COM10 ...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python26\serializer.py", line 1157, in <module>
mySerializer.connect()
File "C:\Python26\serializer.py", line 101, in connect
test = (self.port.readline(eol='>')[0:-3]).strip()
TypeError: readline() got an unexpected keyword argument 'eol'

but since i want to setup this robot under linux(ubuntu 10.4) and ROS. its not a problem
keep up the good work i have learnt more in the last 2 weeks using pyserializer than in the last year
i look forward to seeing how to add the serializer to ROS

regards Peter

Pi Robot
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback! It looks like readline() was broken in PySerial 2.5 on Windows as I just found out here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3064947&group_id=46487&atid=446302

You can fix it by downgrading to PySerial 2.4 on Windows:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyserial/files/

(I used pyserial-2.4.win32.exe and it made the error go away.)

I don't have a MaxEZ1 to see if it works now, but if you get the latest release of the pyserializer library, I now have a check for 'NACK' and do a retry until I get a value. I also fixed some bugs in the PID calculations used in functions like travel_distance(). You can get it from:

http://code.google.com/p/pyserializer/source/browse/#svn/tags/0.2.2/src

Note that for the PID stuff, you have to set your own parameters near the top of the serializer.py file, then set INIT_PID = True to have them written to your Serializer. It's usually best to put your robot up on blocks when first setting these to avoid having it fly across the room because you have the wrong units or incorrect wheel size, etc. I have the units set to 0 for metric since ROS is all done in meters and radians.

--patrick

Peter_heim
09-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the info on pyserial 2.4 i had to install pywin as well to get it working. Example 1 still stalls on reading a Maxez1 that returns a NACK the error is valueerror invalid literal for int() with base 10: ā€˜Nā€™
In example 2 the line
mySerializer.rotate(math.pi * 2, 0.2) # Rotate 90 degrees at speed 0.3 radians per second
had me stumped how does this equal 90 degrees????? I was getting 270 deg so i changed math.pi*2 to math.radians(90) now the robot turns 90 deg does this seem correct or have i got it wrong??

Regards peter

Pi Robot
09-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update. I have fixed the travel distance and rotation angle in the example2.py file and updated the Windows requirements on the project page. I was also able to borrow a MaxEZ1 sonar sensor from a friend and I verified that the get_maxez1() function works OK. The problem might be how you have it wired to your Serializer as it took me forever to get it right. Here's a post on the Robotics Connection forum that steered me in the right direction:

Hello Chad,
If I follow the Serializer manual properly, the command is
maxez1 (trigger pin) (output pin) or

maxez1 (rx) (pw) ( with EZ1 gnd on pin1, +5 on pin2 )
in my case I use a MaxEZ3 like so:

S-W/L EZ3
Port 4 (1) gnd
Port 4 (2) +5
Port 4 (3) rx (trigger)
Port 5 (3) pw (return pulse)

I hope you get it working,

robotics.djlewis.us (http://www.roboticsconnection.com/userForums/robotics.djlewis.us)

Don LewisThe full thread can be found here:

http://www.roboticsconnection.com/userForums/Topic293-10-1.aspx?Highlight=maxez1

You can test this in a terminal window by issuing the command:

maxez1 4 5

If you get back a NACK then the wiring is probably incorrect or the sensor might be damaged. If you always get back 255, then you might have the pin numbers reversed in the command above. Note that if you have an I2C device connected, you cannot using pins 1 and 2 for the MaxEZ1.

The updated library is at:

http://code.google.com/p/pyserializer/source/browse/#svn/tags/0.2.3/src

Let us know how it goes!

--patrick

Peter_heim
09-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Patrick
The maxez nack only happens on first run after 2 or 3 tries using a termial it works then works fine the rest of the night and not always the same pins(i have 3 sonars)

regards peter

Pi Robot
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey Peter,

If it takes 2 or 3 times even when using the terminal, you might want to post your issue to the Robotics Connection forum. This is the only time I have tried a MaxEZ1 and it always works the first time for me, both from the terminal and when using the pyserializer library. A few things that come to mind are: what kind of communication are you using (USB, XBee, Bluetooth, RS-232?); what baud rate? and can the RC folks suggest a diagnostic test? I've had one Serializer start to flake out after two years of use and it did so with intermittent communication problems and problems with different pins...

--patrick