PDA

View Full Version : Mech Warfare 2011 Additions/Changes

DresnerRobotics
09-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,

We're in the process of posting a final ruleset, but wanted to chime in on a few things that will be added/refined for your feedback.

Qualifications - We will be requiring that all mechs that will be participating pass qualifications on Friday, prior to the ladder competitions on saturday and sunday. Friday is going to be our setup/qualifications/last minute changes day, you'll have until they kick us out of Robogames (usually around 9-10pm) to complete your qualification (full details are in the rules draft). This is to ensure that we eliminate time wasted with mechs having continual technical issues, not having video working, etc. I'm not trying to be a hardass here, but you will not compete in the ladder competitions if you do not pass your qualification round on Friday. This rule is put in place to stress that competitors show up prepared and ready to compete, not waste other competitors' time. We have another 6+ months until Robogames, that is more than enough time to build, program, and fully test a mech and get it combat ready.

Open Airsoft League - This is a new league we're adding (the Classic Airsoft League & Hardcore League are staying) that allows for tracked, wheeled, and 6 legged robots. If you are competing in Classic Airsoft League with a biped or quad, and would like to compete in this league, you are more than welcome to- just be aware that you will be going up against mechs with significant mobility advantages.

Target Panel Changes - We already posted that we are adding a side half-panel (that's a 3x1.5" panel) requirement to humanoids, and this change seemed well received so we're moving forward with it. In addition to that change, we'll be offering the option for pilots to use 2 half-panels, parallel and spaced up to 1" apart, instead of the traditional full front panel. We hope this option will allow more flexibility for builders in both aesthetics, as well as the ability to place a camera in between the two front half-panels, making everyone's life easier.

2v2 Team Ladder - We'll have more details on this with the rules update that is coming shortly, but this is definitely a go this year. We feel this will add a greater depth of strategy to the game and will end up being one of the staples of the competition. The scoring system/software will be updated to fully support this. Pilots will be able to choose their own teammates here, but each member of the team must pass their own qualification round on Friday in order to be eligible to compete (same as the 1v1 Ladder). The same basic HP rules will apply for this ladder.

Kill Decals & Tour of Duty Ribbons - This is mostly a 'fluff' addition, but I thought it was a neat idea in addition to the game. For each match you win, you will be given a 'Kill Decal' to decorate your Mech with, akin to how WW2 fighter pilots have done in the past. Also, for each Mech Warfare event (ie: Robogames Mech Warfare 2011, iHobby Mech Warfare 2012, etc) you participate in, you will be awarded a Tour of Duty ribbon to display on your mech. If someone wants to step up to the plate and offer up some designs for us to consider, by all means!

Anyway... thoughts, questions, comments?

elaughlin
09-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Sounds very good. Everything is reasonable and thought out. I really like the 2 on 2 idea. Strategy will be a bigger concept. Especially, friendly fire! You have to know what you're supposed to be shooting at.

The times when I am waiting for pieces for my mech, or not working on code in the future, I will be trying to make some nice kill decals and tour of duty ribbons.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I can't wait to go to Mech Warfare. This is going to be great!

mannyr7
09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Where is the required mounting location of these side panels on humanoids?

DresnerRobotics
09-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm going to keep the rules loose for now. Use best judgement, try to keep them roughly at the same elevation as your front/back target plates. You can mount them vertically or horizontally.

Edit: Added note about qualification rounds.

kamondelious
09-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Sounds awesome!

Following the evolution of Mech Warfare has been great. I'm so stoked to finally have the opportunity to compete in one (and hopefully many more). I'd sure like to earn a large Mech Warfare sticker collection.

:D

mannyr7
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm going to keep the rules loose for now. Use best judgement, try to keep them roughly at the same elevation as your front/back target plates. You can mount them vertically or horizontally.

Edit: Added note about qualification rounds.

I'm thinking more along the lines of bipeds with articulated arms. The panels might fit nicely along the forearm/bicep area facing outward of course. Just don't want to be accused of having moving panels when the bot is flailing its arms back and forth. Ie: like a normal human stride. I might decide to throw Musa in the mix.
BTW, nice list of improvements. I support them all.

DresnerRobotics
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
The side panels are more or less intended to be mounted on arms, I realize that this will mean that they will move with arm swing and whatnot, and I'd say that's acceptable. As long as it's not abused with the intention of trying to cause missed (eg: greatly over exaggerated or unneeded movement0 and it's tied to a walking gait (not when standing still) that's perfectly fine. The same could be said for quads that their legs can potentially obscure target plates while walking.

master_of_robots
09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Also, for each Mech Warfare event (ie: Robogames Mech Warfare 2011, iHobby Mech Warfare 2012, etc) you participate in, you will be awarded a Tour of Duty ribbon to display on your mech.

"iHobby Mech Warfare 2012"? I try to read all of the posts in the Mech Warfare forum here, but did I miss this? Are you planning on hosting two different events? Is this a venue change for 2012? :confused:

lnxfergy
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
That should actually read iHobby 2011. As in 2 events per year, one on each coast.

-Fergs

master_of_robots
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
That should actually read iHobby 2011. As in 2 events per year, one on each coast.

This is (great) news to me! I assume that the "iHobby 2001" refers to the http://www.ihobbyexpo.com/, but I noticed that it's in Illinois. Is this the venue for next year? (because Illinois != East Coast)

lnxfergy
09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
This is (great) news to me! I assume that the "iHobby 2001" refers to the http://www.ihobbyexpo.com/, but I noticed that it's in Illinois. Is this the venue for next year? (because Illinois != East Coast)

It's always in Illinois (which, coincidently is near Trossen Robotics, and thus Andrew). It's about as close to "East Coast" as we're probably going to get -- there just aren't any events that are "shoot-em up robot" friendly farther east of that (yet).

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, I do have plans on introducing a 2nd annual event at iHobby starting in 2011. I had spoken with the Chibots guys a bit back about it, but as their leadership has changed recently I'll need to approach the new organizers once again and iron out details. I do not expect it to be an issue though, as we had previously discussed their area is pretty big and has plenty of room for us to run the event.

Stobs
02-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Were the plans for awarding kill decals and or Tour of Duty ribbons a proposal or are they actually going to be implemented for RoboGames 2011? If so so, any further details than what's provided above?

Paul