PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] CAD Designs

elaughlin
10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I have been unhappy when I can't have accurate cad designs when constructing my mech. I like to have things planned out before I send my money away to get pieces of plastic or metal cut to specific dimensions. So how can I do that if some components are not correct. Now I took it upon myself to create my own cad designs for things that seem essential to creating a mech for mech warfare. My designs are not "perfect" but I would say they are pretty close. Everything should be +/- 0.5mm. That might be a big amount to some people, but I did my best without a digital ruler/measuring tool.

So I will be posting my designs here for people to use if they would like. So far I have only completed the board from the Trendnet IP-110W camera. I am working on the tank guns now also, so when those are done, I will post them as well.

I can't post the files directly to the thread, but I will put a PDF and Jpeg picture of each piece on here so you can take a look at them first, then if you want them, just PM and I could send them to you. I designed them in Inventor so there are many formats I can send it in.

elaughlin
10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Next up I have completed the Airsoft Tank Guns. I purchased mine from Matotoys.com, so it is modeled off of that, but I am pretty sure they are all pretty similar when meant to go inside the R/C tanks.

Again, the posts on this thread are just pictures for you to look at. If you want the CAD file, just PM me and I will send it/them/whatever I have right over to you.

Hope these help people out.

lnxfergy
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
You might upload the files to the Data Center -- just zip them up. Will save you dealing with the PM interface.

-Fergs

elaughlin
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Good point. Will do.

elaughlin
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
By advice from Inxfergy, I uploaded the designs to the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/). I will still post the updates with pictures of designs that I complete here, but for easier access they can be downloaded from the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/) here. Enjoy.

elaughlin
10-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I have uploaded more CAD designs into the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/).

~Arbotix Robocontroller Board

~Xbee

~Xbee Pro

More to come...

elaughlin
10-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Also did the USB Explorer Board used with the Xbees.

elaughlin
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Just finished the Tiger Tank Barrel. Its the airsoft barrel that connects to the firing mechanism for tank guns. It is a little different than what comes in the package. I modified the mantlet before designing it on Inventor, so I just did what I had. The original can be see on sthmck's mech (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2314&catid=searchresults&searchid=1616). It has that more rectangular look and 2 LED's that I took off. Hope you like it. Again, it can be found for download in the Data Center.

lnxfergy
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
That is a lot of detail. Awesome work on all these, especially the CAD model of the ArbotiX.

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
10-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Fantastic work, + rep from me.

Have to ask: Are you doing boards like the Arbotix as one solid model? Or are you making it component by component and then constraining it together via an assembly?

elaughlin
10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I did them as one solid model. It took long as is, so I didn't want to take even longer to make each tiny piece.

Thank you to both of you guys. That means a lot.

Slugman
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry elaughlin - Just a quick thread hi-jack :tongue: I put a small collection of Sketchup Bioloid bits into the CAD Data Centre for those that use Google Sketchup to plan their build. I'm sure CAD is better, but Sketchup is probably easier. :happy:

Stobs
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
+ rep elaughlin - very nice work and thanks for sharing!

Stobs

elaughlin
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
I just happened to do the Mech Warfare Target Board over because my measurements were off on my own mech design. So you can find the files for this in the Data Center.

elaughlin
10-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Here is the Mini Robocontroller Board. It is the board used for the targeting system in Mech Warfare. Helps to have this when deciding where to place target panels and the electronics.

The download can be found in the Data Center.

Amp
10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi elaughlin, you might want to try alibre design cad package (it has a free trial you can use). Its got a really useful assemblies mode where you can import your parts then see how they fit together. Whats really cool is that you can add constraints which holds the parts together in some ways, you can then grab pars of the model and move them about to see the effect. For example turn a gear and then see it mesh and turn another gear.

It only runs on windows, but it has a 30day trial. So you can just import your parts in then try to fit them together virtually.

I got a 3D printer recently had have found this to be a good CAD package and reasonably priced (as they have a version hobbyist for $99!!).

lnxfergy
10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
He's using Inventor -- which mostly definitely has assembly ability (see the thread on his awesome mech for an assembly example).

-Fergs

elaughlin
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi elaughlin, you might want to try alibre design cad package (it has a free trial you can use). Its got a really useful assemblies mode where you can import your parts then see how they fit together. Whats really cool is that you can add constraints which holds the parts together in some ways, you can then grab pars of the model and move them about to see the effect. For example turn a gear and then see it mesh and turn another gear.

It only runs on windows, but it has a 30day trial. So you can just import your parts in then try to fit them together virtually.

I got a 3D printer recently had have found this to be a good CAD package and reasonably priced (as they have a version hobbyist for $99!!).

Yeah, I am using Inventor, like Inxfergy said. It has assembly capabilities which I use all the time.

I have actually used Alibre before as well, and I must say, I find Inventor much easier to use, and much better as well. Just my opinion though.

I had Alibre (30 day trial) and Alibre (full - from a download) and now have Autodesk Inventor 2011 which I got for free for a year, since I still had a school email address.

Thank you for the idea of Alibre, but I am very happy with Inventor now, and maybe others should try looking into Inventor.

elaughlin
11-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I did the 6 Port Servo Wire Board (at least thats what I call it), which is used with the AX Dynamixel servos. It has the 6 ports for easy daisy-chaining. It is for download in the Data Center containing the Step and Inventor files.

elaughlin
11-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I just finished the SMPS 2 Dynamixel board. It is available for download in the Data Center.

elaughlin
12-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I have been working on a few files recently. I am trying to put together my turret now while I wait for some stuff on my Mech. So I put together the PhantomX Roboturret from Trossen's store. It is available for download at the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/).

rebel
12-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone have any 2D drawings of hsr-5980's or same size servos. .DXF file that works with QCAD?

elaughlin
12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe some other members do, I only have files of the pieces I own. And I don't have any hobby servos right now, just Dynamixels. Sorry. If anyone wanted to buy me some (HAHA), or send me some, I would be more then happy to make CAD drawings of anything.

DresnerRobotics
12-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I have been working on a few files recently. I am trying to put together my turret now while I wait for some stuff on my Mech. So I put together the PhantomX Roboturret from Trossen's store. It is available for download at the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/).

Great work! You totally could've just asked me for the models though, haha. I model everything prior to even cutting a prototype.

elaughlin
12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Ehhh, well I like to work on my drawings anyways while waiting for my mech stuff. But next time I decide to make a drawing of something that came from Trossen, Ill ask you if you have it first.

elaughlin
12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh, I do have something I wanted to know about, do you have the drawings of the Lynxmotion Tracks/Treads/Base for the J5 Robot?

elaughlin
06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Alright, I have been promising CAD designs for the new AEG gearboxes that people have been picking up as the new stronger/faster gun to use in MW. I finally got around to doing it since I needed to plan for space inside my own new robot design. I finished it up tonight and am posting the file in the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/). It will include the Inventor file, Step file, and a jpeg of it. Once again, its not 100% perfect, but I tried to get the mounting holes very very close to right spots and everything else should be generally within ~1mm give or take, usually not even that much since I have been using a digital caliper now for my measurements. Please use it and enjoy.

The next step for me is to make a shell that will go around the gearbox and a barrel and fit right into a hopper system. I will post those as soon as i finish them up.

sthmck
06-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you sir, as always your work is greatly appreciated.

elaughlin
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
And I'm always happy to help sir.