PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Internet controlled plane

CeeJay
10-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Im interested in internet controled robots especialy int. controlled plane, i think to do this using 3g modem and onboard computer (you can use disassembled laptop), using phidgets or arduino for moving steering and flaps. I think it will be great, but its just idea for this moment. what do you think about this?
p.s. sory for my bad english :rolleyes:

tician
10-27-2010, 04:59 AM
It sounds a bit ambitious, but certainly not impossible...

First of all, DIY Drones is a fairly good resource for autonomous planes and helicopters (and even blimps) and would likely be very helpful if no one here can answer any specific questions you may have. I would recommend researching their ArduPilot anyway as some degree of autonomy will likely be required for your project.

So, onto what will hopefully be useful advice.
From your suggestion of a laptop and 3G modem, I suspect you want to stream realtime video from the plane to a user wherever he or she may be (Kind of like a Rovio). This may be rather difficult to implement depending on your choice in hardware and in mobile service provider. Those involved in MechWarfare have had problems with lagging video using just wifi, so I would imagine 3G service would not be much better. If you do plan to stream video, then I must leave it to others with more experience in this area to assist you.

If you do not plan to stream video, but only basic telemetry (like GPS coordinates, airspeed, elevation, etc.) then I see no reason for including a disassembled laptop (it would require a rather large plane to carry it and would provide no advantages over smaller controllers). If this is all you want to do, then the ArduPilot with an IMU should be able to keep the plane in the air while you simply upload commands or even GPS coordinates/waypoints over a celluar modem. This system could also probably handle low resolution and low framerate video, but I make no guarantees.

The Telit modems available at sparkfun electronics supposedly allow Voice, Mobile2Mobile data, SMS, TCP/IP, and UDP/IP connections that could bridge the onboard controller and a web interface, but checking claims against manuals and data sheets is always wise.

Hopefully I have not confused or discouraged you. I also hope I have managed to cleanse any of my normally convoluted and/or condensed usage of the english language (bad habits are hard to break).

CeeJay
10-29-2010, 05:51 AM
thanks for your help