PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] FTDI USB Breakout driver on Ubuntu

zzl1007
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,

I have problems installing the FTDI USB basic breakout drivers on Ubuntu. I have gone to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/, downloaded the FTDI driver of Linux 64bit version 1.5.0(Since my laptop CPU is intel Centrino 2, i believe it is 64bit). Then i extract the ftdi_sio.tar.gz. After i start the terminal, and enter the folder, there are 4 files there: ftdi_sio.c, ftdi_sio.h, Makefile, and Rules.make. So i type "make", thousands of errors pop out. Here is just a copy of the last piece:

ftdi_sio.c:1785: error: ‘struct usb_serial_port’ has no member named ‘tty’
ftdi_sio.c:1806: error: ‘struct urb’ has no member named ‘actual_length’
ftdi_sio.c:1840: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_min2’
ftdi_sio.c:1840: error: ‘struct urb’ has no member named ‘actual_length’
ftdi_sio.c:1933: error: ‘struct usb_serial_port’ has no member named ‘open_count’
ftdi_sio.c:1950: error: ‘struct urb’ has no member named ‘transfer_buffer_length’
ftdi_sio.c:1955: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘KBUILD_MODNAME’
ftdi_sio.c: In function ‘ftdi_break_ctl’:
ftdi_sio.c:1984: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘KBUILD_MODNAME’
ftdi_sio.c: In function ‘ftdi_set_termios’:
ftdi_sio.c:2001: error: ‘struct usb_serial_port’ has no member named ‘tty’
ftdi_sio.c:2016: error: ‘struct usb_serial_port’ has no member named ‘tty’
ftdi_sio.c:2053: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘KBUILD_MODNAME’
ftdi_sio.c: In function ‘ftdi_tiocmget’:
ftdi_sio.c:2166: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘KBUILD_MODNAME’
ftdi_sio.c:2185: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘KBUILD_MODNAME’
ftdi_sio.c: In function ‘ftdi_ioctl’:
ftdi_sio.c:2236: error: ‘current’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [ftdi_sio.o] Error 1

I don't know if i have miss installing some other package or not. Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Pi Robot
11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Xi,

I did not have to install any special drivers to use the FTDI USB board with the ArbotiX under Ubuntu 10.04. It simply shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 depending one whether or not I also have the Serializer connected via USB. No doubt you have already checked this, but be sure you plug the FTDI connector to the ArbotiX with the correct orientation (look for the GRN and BLK pin identifiers on both and line them up.) Also, you need to set the baud rate to 38400 unless you have changed it in the ArbotiX firmware. (I'm actually using 57600 because I did change it in the ArbotiX firmware.)

--patrick

lnxfergy
11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I believe since Ubuntu version 4, the FTDI drivers have been built in. Just try connecting the device and see if it works.

-Fergs

jes1510
11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah they have been in the Kernel since 2.4.

zzl1007
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Kay..I got it. Thanks guys.

Xi