PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] LiPo - Charger connection

swabygw
11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I just got a 11.1v (4350 mAh), 3-cell Thunder Power RC LiPo battery and the LiPro Balance Charger. The battery came with just bare wire leads and the charger looks like it requires a female T-dean connection. The charger came with four female T-dean adapters (to banana clips, pins, etc.), but nothing to connect to the bare leads from the battery. So, three questions:

1) Is there a way to attach a female T-dean connection to the battery without soldering (my soldering equipment/skills are not good, but my crimping equipment/skills are good)?
2) Also, does Trossen sell the female T-dean harness that's needed?
3) The Serializer controller I want to attach the battery to requires bare leads. If a T-dean connector is attached to the battery wire leads, how can I, then, connect the bare wire leads into the controller?

Thanks, in advance, for advice to newbie. Cheers! :happy:

DC Robotic
11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
If you have not worked much with batteries/chargers, one of the really important things to keep in mind is using plugs and connectors that can ONLY be connected with the proper polarity. If you don't want to use the Deans connectors, (which if you wire paying attention to the polarity you can't subsequently screw up) you could try using crimp connectors, though I doubt many would reccomend this. If you do, make sure that you use the type which have protected connections. If you have connectors with bare (exposed) terminals ... you will eventually, but probably pretty quickly, zap or short something and let the magic blue smoke out of your electronics. The Deans are a pretty good solution. Usually it works well to wire from the serializer to a switch and then to a Deans, which you would then connect to the battery. Without the switch, you will be incessantly pluging and unplugging the battery.

Hope this helps.