PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Enough power?

elaughlin
12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I was thinking about my mech which has been coming together (sort of). And I have become a bit thoughtful about my power supply. Is it going to be enough, or do I need some more smaller power source added.

If you have seen my thread, you know I am using the arbotix robocontroller. I will be having 15 AX-12+ servos connected to it.

Then there are other things that all consume power:

2 Tank Guns (probably will be using a higher voltage for higher speed)
Mini Robocontroller board with the 4 target assemblies
Mini Wifi Encoder Board
Camera

So I was wondering if people thought my 3S 11.1V 2100mAh Pro Lite V2 20C LiPo Battery would have enough to power all of those things for a mech warfare match (maybe 2)?

Or would it be better to add like a 9v battery inside somewhere to power the guns or camera etc?

Just wondering about it is all. Any help is appreciated or thoughts about it.

lnxfergy
12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
With a switching regulator for stepping down the camera voltage, you should definitely get 1 match out of an 11.1V 2100mAH pack. Two matches might be cutting it close. With Issy2 I got about 25-30m of runtime (but I was running around like a banshee, and I had the camera powered off a separate source). I imagine more moderate gameplay would offset the increased current consumption of the camera.

As for a separate 9V for guns, that may be a good idea just out of EMF considerations. I *had* to go that way to avoid EMF issues resetting stuff. EDIT: I notice you're using tank guns, if unmodified for speed, they should be fine on the main battery -- modified tank guns may be a different matter (and probably would be similar to the defenders as found on Issy2).

-Fergs