PDA

View Full Version : Audio / Video through the Serializer

swabygw
12-09-2010, 04:18 PM
This may be a dumb question, but.... can the Serializer controller pass audio / video signals through it? What I mean is, for example, is that I'd like to, ultimately, stream an audio signal that enters the microphone (electret, or whichever), in via an analog input, out via the USB cable and capture the stream on the PC, either as a live stream or an audio file. And, can it go the other way, from the PC microphone (or audio file), in via the USB cable, out via an analog out to an attached speaker?

(btw, the Serializer card works great)

Pi Robot
12-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Since you mentioned that you are connecting your Serializer using USB, does that not imply that you can use the same host to stream your audio and video in the usual way? (e.g. via the microphone/headphone ports and/or USB ports?) If you are planning to use the Serializer wirelessly (e.g. XBEE), then I don't think you can pass audio or video through the Serializer's ports. Instead, I would suggest using a wireless IP webcam that has a built in speaker and microphone. The camera would connect to a wireless router and from there to your PC.

--patrick

defwheezer
12-10-2010, 06:21 PM
...using a wireless IP webcam that has a built in speaker and microphone. The camera would connect to a wireless router and from there to your PC.
--patrick

This is the 'easiest' solution for sure. (and the Serializer is a cool board!)

swabygw
12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I think you're right on the camera-to-router solution. To make it fully wireless, can the Serializer be attached to the router, too? (I suppose I could specify a static IP to the Serializer port on the router or is there a device that will assign an IP to the Serializer). Have you seen a setup like this done before?

Pi Robot
12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
You make the Serializer wireless by getting an XBEE module for it as well as an XBEE explorer + module for your PC (if you don't already have one). I used this package:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/Xbee-Communication-Starter-Kit.aspx

I have been using this setup for awhile. The following video shows the robot I am using it on although in this case I had everything hardwired. The wireless webcam is a D-Link 920 but it does not have audio.

http://www.pirobot.org/blog/0011/

--patrick

swabygw
12-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks, I'm trying out the Xbee now, but something seems wrong with my USB Explorer breakout board. I'm gonna replace it, I think (that second link you provided has a very good discussion on translational frames of reference -- kudos). Ultimately, though, I want to control my bot via Xbee and/or wifi (not at the same time, or course), so I want to learn a solution for both situations.