PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] RC-100 Controller

dantaylor129
12-15-2010, 01:59 PM
This should be an easy fix but I am really having a hard time with it. Theproblem is that I can't get either (I have two) of my boomerang controllers for the bioloid premium to work.
They have both worked in the past. I have tried communicating via IR and zig's and neither seems to work.

So what I have are two boomerang controllers, 4 zig's (one of them has the casing and connects to the CM5-10), 1 CM5-10, and 1 IR receiver that is also a seperate attachment for the Bioloid premium. Any ideas what the issue is? The whole ID's thing is really confusing me...

tician
12-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, the IR receiver you are referencing is either the AX-S1 or the Ollo IR receiver, right? There are also two IR distance components from Robotis, the small Ollo IR sensors and the IR DMS sensor that goes in the chest of the premium. Both systems hook up to the ADC ports on the CM-510/700/100 and both of these systems do not do anything other than rough distance measurement.

So if you are using an AX-S1 connected over the Dynamixel bus, there should be a command under the AX-S1 in RoboPlus Task that is basically 'IR Remocon RXD'. If you are using the Ollo IR receiver, you should be able to get it to work with the CM-510 using the 'Remocon RXD' command under the CM-510 controller (the RC-100 transmits a full wireless communication packet regardless of transmission method and the Ollo IR Receiver plug into the same port as the ZIG-110).

Concerning ZigBee, have you changed any of the module properties using the RoboPlus Manager or within your task code? When you bought the ZIG-100 pair or the ZIG-100/110 set, the two modules in the set should be matched by default. If you have changed any of them, then the "Remote ID" of each module you want to use needs to be changed to the "My Remote ID" of the corresponding partner. The "My Remote ID" of each module is fixed and printed on a small paper label on each module and also displayed in RoboPlus Manager (labeled as "My Remote ID"). To get two modules to intercommunicate, you use the ZIG-100+ZIG2Serial to connect the module to RoboPlus Manager and follow the directions on this link (http://support.robotis.com/en/techsupport_eng.htm#product/auxdevice/communication/zigbee_manual.htm) to set its "Remote ID" to match the "My Remote ID" of its partner. For the ZIG-110, you can only change its "Remote ID" by plugging it into the CM-510 and then connecting to RoboPlus Manager*. Other than this, the procedure is identical.

Hopefully this has not further confused you, and should probably be moved into the Ultimate Bioloid Thread.

*There is a way to change the "Remote ID" while running a program, but this is only really necessary if you have a CM-700 and nothing else. Great design decision there...:rolleyes: Give the user only one serial port connector and require them to constantly unplug/replug the LN-101 and ZIG-110 to program and test code. Also not allowing the user to connect the ZIG-110 to the PC via the LN-101 to change its "Remote ID", instead requiring the change to occur in code execution and hardware locking the ZIG-110 into Channel 4 during N:N. That is a rant for another day/thread (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?p=44533#post44533).

dantaylor129
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
The IR receiver is the one used in OLLO.

You said that I "should be able to get it to work with the CM-510 using the 'Remocon RXD' command under the CM-510 controller" but I have tried that... I just put a simple endless loop with a Print = Remocon RXD and all I got was a bunch of 0's. I tried messing with the Channel # and the Modes of the controller but I may have messed it up more than I fixed. Do those change the results that I will get from the IR Receiver?

As for the zigbee. You are saying that there numbers need to be an exact match? Because my 2 pairs have the number printed on the bottom like yours but they are both off by 1 number. (i.e. 1 is 10347, and the match is 10346.) The My remote ID is then 10346. So should the remote ID be set to 10346 or 10347, which is the number printed on it?

Thanks for your help!

tician
12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
One ZIG-100 module has "My Remote ID"/Printed ID of 10346, and you want it to pair with another ZIG-100 module that has "My Remote ID"/Printed ID of 10347. The module with "My Remote ID" of 10346 should have the "Remote ID" set to 10347. The module with "My Remote ID" of 10347 should have the "Remote ID" set to 10346. This way one module will listen only for the packets from the other module.

Basic explanation: When a module transmits, it embeds its "My Remote ID" into the packet. When any other modules receive it, they check to see if the embedded ID is the same their own "Remote ID". If the embedded ID is the same as the receiving module's user selected "Remote ID", then the packet is accepted and sent to the CM-5/510/700. If the embedded ID does not match the receiving module's "Remote ID", then it ignores the packet.

As to the IR receiver, I said "should" as I have never actually used one with a CM-510, but the Robotis support site lists the receiver as compatible with CM-100/510. Although they do not seem to provide any actual documentation for its use on the support site. I have no idea what channel the IR receiver you have may be set to (randomly encoded at the factory?), but you must maintain a line of sight between the IR LED of the RC-100 and the lens of the IR receiver connected to the CM-510.

Also note that the RC-100 will transmit a packet with data payload of "0" when all of the buttons are released on the RC-100 (allows a receiving bot to know the buttons have been released). If you do not print quickly enough, you may only get those zero values. You must also check to make sure that a valid packet has been received before you print out the 'Remocon RXD' buffer.

while(1)
{
if('Remocon Arrived' == 1)
{
Print with line = 'Remocon RXD'
}
}

dantaylor129
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I think what must be wrong is that my remote controller's "Remote ID" is not set up right. Because the Zig that I have attached to my robot is correct. So how would I change that one? Because it can't connect to the cm-510. Do I have to change it in a program?

tician
12-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Just pop the ZIG-100 out of the RC-100 and use a USB2Dynamixel+ZIG2Serial to connect it to RoboPlus Manager and follow the directions in the Robotis support site linked in my first post. Hopefully you already have one dongle set (USB2Dynamixel+ZIG2Serial) already. If not, then a CM-5 can work just as well as the CM-510 does for the ZIG-110 (if you happen to already have a CM-5).

Just to check, you are removing the ZIG-100 before attempting to use the IR control of the RC-100, right? The ZIG-100 automatically overrides/disables the IR control.

dantaylor129
12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Unfortunatly I do not own a CM-5 or a ZIG2Serial. Though I do have a CM-5 coming in the mail that I should receive sometime after Christmas... Is there any other way?

Yes, I have been removing the Zig from both the CM-510 and remote before attempting mess with the IR.

tician
12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
None that I am aware of.

A few new questions.
When was the last time any of the RC-100 controllers worked? IR only, Zigbee only, or both? What has changed since? Have any of the modules been damaged/reprogrammed? Where did you acquire these ZIG modules and Ollo IR receiver (Robotis or 2nd hand)? Have you looked through the Robotis support site here (http://support.robotis.com/en/techsupport_eng.htm#product/auxdevice/communication/rc100_manual.htm)? Have you thought of posting to the robotis Q&A site here (http://www.robotis.com/xe/qna_en)?

If there have been no changes to the 'Remote ID' by you or any previous owners, then the two modules you mentioned earlier (10346 and 10347) should be paired by default. Robotis sells the pairs with two sequentially numbered modules with each module's 'Remote ID' being that of its partner. If by chance you did change the 'Remote ID' to '65535' on both a ZIG-100 and its partner ZIG-110, then you will have to change the RC-100 channel to 4 (instructions are on the second link). As you do not have a CM-5 or ZIG2Serial, I expect the ZIG-100 has not been changed, but the ZIG-110 may have be changed and can be changed back to match.

As received from Robotis, the configuration should be:
Module A: 'My Remote ID' == 10346 and 'Remote ID' == 10347
Module B: 'My Remote ID' == 10347 and 'Remote ID' == 10346