PDA

View Full Version : Neato in Mech Warfare?

RobotAtlas
12-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Since Fergs made Neato work with ROS navigation Stack, I started thinking how it can be used.
So would it be possible to place target plates and transponders on Neato. Then place it in the Mech Warfare arena. Then program it to just go around there auronomously, turning in a randomly when it approaches corners and intersections. Then have a competition of whos robot can shoot that thing the most within specified amount of time. Whoever get the most points wins. If Neato touches you, you get points subtracted (this would discourage simple following tactics)?

Would this be possible/fun?
Anything else that would make it even more fun?

darkback2
12-17-2010, 08:03 AM
good for practice, and obviously possible, but how do you know who did the shooting? unless they are going one at a time...

RobotAtlas
12-17-2010, 09:59 AM
I was thinking one at a time. I wonder how fast that Neato is.
I'll find out that in a few days when my Neato arrives. :)

master_of_robots
12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Since Fergs made Neato work with ROS navigation Stack, I started thinking how it can be used.
So would it be possible to place target plates and transponders on Neato. Then place it in the Mech Warfare arena. Then program it to just go around there auronomously, turning in a randomly when it approaches corners and intersections. Then have a competition of whos robot can shoot that thing the most within specified amount of time. Whoever get the most points wins. If Neato touches you, you get points subtracted (this would discourage simple following tactics)?

Would this be possible/fun?
Anything else that would make it even more fun?

It's "mech warfare" not "mech target practice". I think not having an opponent that can fire back would render the whole idea of MW ineffectual. :veryhappy:

gdubb2
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
But, if you had one running around the house and chased it with your mech, by the time the games came around, you would be a force to be reckoned with.

gary

master_of_robots
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
But, if you had one running around the house and chased it with your mech, by the time the games came around, you would be a force to be reckoned with.

gary

I concur.

lnxfergy
12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I wonder how fast that Neato is.

Max linear speed = +/- 300mm/s
Max angular speed ~ 2.25rad/s

Roomba/Create max speed is about 400mm/s

-Fergs

RobotAtlas
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Max linear speed = +/- 300mm/s

-Fergs
Is that max speed actually achievable?
A foot per second is not bad at all if you have to shoot it and it's constantly moving.
And much safer than shooting/chasing your cat or dog (for both the pet and the robot :-).

lnxfergy
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Is that max speed actually achievable?
A foot per second is not bad at all if you have to shoot it and it's constantly moving.
And much safer than shooting/chasing your cat or dog (for both the pet and the robot :-).

Based on odometry I'm seeing, yes. However, it starts/stops pretty hard with default acceleration. I think you may also find it's pretty hard to keep 1ft/s in such close environments -- I could never drive Issy faster than that, and tended to tune it down to 20cm/s or so.

-Fergs

RobotAtlas
12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I think you may also find it's pretty hard to keep 1ft/s in such close environments -- I could never drive Issy faster than that, and tended to tune it down to 20cm/s or so.

But Issy didn't have a SLAM and was driven by a mere human (no offense, Fergs).

lnxfergy
12-17-2010, 03:02 PM
But Issy didn't have a SLAM and was driven by a mere human (no offense, Fergs).

Honestly, I think most current localization/trajectory controller implementations are going to have trouble navigating a 14" wide differential drive robot down a ~30" wide corridor at 12"/s with a 5Hz update rate.

-Fergs