PDA

View Full Version : 310 mm Airsoft Cannon

dalocogamer
01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I am looking at some Airsoft cannons for my rover. I am looking at getting this one:
http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A02102961

I am trying to see from the screenshots how it loads. I am going to design a hopper for it and cant tell how it loads. If anyone has experience with these kinds of airsoft cannons please help me out. I will take a .bmp file thats black and white that shows the outline of it how it loads lol.

lnxfergy
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
The BBs load right at the junction of the barrel and the body of the gun. See awesome attachment for details.

-Fergs

elaughlin
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I made a CAD model of the airsoft tank gun. Click here (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/tank-gun-153/), or if you don't have any cad program, you can just look at the image of it. You can see the indent/hole and guide where the BB's load into the gun from it. Its the same little area that Fergs pointed out, but this is a little bigger. But the CAD file is great because you can open it up, rotate it around and see exactly where it is.

dalocogamer
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you both very much. Can you share more about this item? I know enough from the site I got it from.

Buell24
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Hy!

A few weeks ago, I ordered two of these airsoft cannon together with some bullets from toyeast. I payed the amount, but only got the bullets. Even they told me they had shipped all the pieces together. I wrote a lot of e-mails till then to ask what's happen. But no replay.
What is your experience with toyeast and is there a alternative supplier for airsoft cannons?

gdubb2
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
These guys are pretty good, and have international shipping.

These are for a Tiger tank, but look for Henglong parts.

http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=59
http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=473

Gary

DresnerRobotics
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
These guys are pretty good, and have international shipping.

These are for a Tiger tank, but look for Henglong parts.

http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=59
http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=473

Gary

These links aren't working for me, could you provide the product name so we can search?

gdubb2
01-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Try this link, it's for the page that has the items on it.
http://matomart.com/product.php?c=1000069

Or

www.matomart.com (http://www.matomart.com)
RC tank accessories
Tiger 1 accessories
Henglong Tiger Spare Parts

the item is..Henglong tank Shooting unit/2 units (http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=767)
USD$10.90

Barrels are on the same page.

Also, the Panther and Panzer spare parts have the shooting units, but not barrels.
Gary

elaughlin
01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Matotoys links never work. They always go to the homepage once you connect.

Just have to click through the menus. Like Gdubb showed.

Buell24
01-29-2011, 03:23 AM
thank you all a lot! I will try to get the cannon from there.

Stobs
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

the item is..Henglong tank Shooting unit/2 units (http://matomart.com/prodview.php?p=767)
USD$10.90

Barrels are on the same page.

Also, the Panther and Panzer spare parts have the shooting units, but not barrels.
Gary

If anyone's debating between these and Airsoft Defenders: I bought a three-pack of Defenders off of ebay for less than $30 (which is a bit less than three of the above would be), but in hindsight I'd go with the Henglong guns, if not the otc barrels, instead. The Defenders aren't going to be nearly as "easy" to incorporate into a Mech as the these have shown to be.

Paul

georgeecollins
03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
OK - I got two of those gun mechanisms from Mato toys and I have a few questions:
Where should I wire it? The guns mechanisms I got have no leads at all and I am wondering where to wire it. Also, does it matter where I put + and -?

Will the gun work at 5v? 7.4v? Either?

Apparently I do not have a way to load the BBs in. Does anyone have tips on how to make a hopper? Pictures of hoppers would be really useful. Other people must have done this and I would really like to learn from someone's experience.

Oh, and where do you get BB's? Is that something you can get at a regular hobby shop? Is there a particular kind of pellet I want?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this. I can send pictures, but really it looks the same as the one on Issy, just with no wires coming out. And no barrels but I think I can figure that out.

mannyr7
03-16-2011, 09:16 AM
You need to attach the + and - leads to the solder tabs of the motor on one end and the other ends to some sort of solid state relay, such as the dimension engineering Pico switch sold here at Trossen. They can then be triggered remotely in software. As for polarity of the wires, yes it does matter, as they won't fire with motors turning in the wrong direction. Easy fix, flip the wires. For power, I've seen them run at 4.8 to 9v. The bbs are 6mm and run .12 gram to .26 gram and I run .22 gram because they were on sale and they have a better trajectory than the more common and lighter .12 gram. You can find them in most sporting goods stores and Walmart.

bloftin
03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Just fyi - not sure what the problem is but our last order from toyeast never came and I got no response through email from them. I would look elsewhere.

georgeecollins
03-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you. I was guessing the motor tabs but I don't like to guess with electrical stuff when I don't have a back up part.

I am actually pretty comfortable triggering motors with a micro-controller, I have done that before.

Does anyone have an example of a feeder mechanism they have made? Looking at it I am thinking maybe I can poke a hole in an aspirin bottle and stick it on top?

I really appreciate the help.

elaughlin
03-16-2011, 07:59 PM
The tabs are ground on the top and positive on the bottom. I have the same units and asked the same questions. Was able to get help on it. But thats how I thought it was, and ended up getting verification from some veteran mech-warfarists.

The BB feeding is another thing. Have seen a lot of different ways that people come up with. Tic-Tac containers on top. Large boxes with funneling. I have some custom made magazine cartridge looking hoppers on top with a slanted floor, and another slanted tab angling the BBs in.

This was the first version of hopper I used, but look through the galleries of people mechs from last year and what people have going on this year for more ideas.

Lightwolf
06-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Hello. I just found out today about Mech Warfare, and have been searching the Internet like a mad man to learn more about this... I am interested in getting involved, but have one Big setback...I have no clue about robotics! I figured I will learn as I go, and this forum has helped me a lot so far. I have a few questions...

1. On the Henglong tank Shooting unit, aside from a barrel what else would be needed to have an operational cannon? I mean as far as the actual gun, not the robotics aspects, just overall the gun. If that makes sense.

2. Bi-Pods (if I read right) Are the two legged ones...Why do they get no love from people? It looks like the majority will play around with it, but no 100% gung ho. Well I take that back there are a couple, but is the 2 legged aspect that bad of a layout?

3. How can I convince my girlfriend it's a good idea?

Thanks for your time...Happy Hunting out there!

Stobs
06-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi LightWolf,

First off, welcome to the forum! Now, on to your inquiries:

1. On the Henglong tank Shooting unit, aside from a barrel what else would be needed to have an operational cannon? I mean as far as the actual gun, not the robotics aspects, just overall the gun. If that makes sense.

A number of the competitors (I was a spectator) from this year's MW event mentioned that the quality of the tank guns as deteriorated appreciably. You may want to consider opting for the Airsoft "Defender" style (http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/product/AS-PAL-39953/Defender-of-World-Peace-Mini-Electric-Airsoft-Gun---Clear.html) of bb gun, but these are a good deal larger. I've purchase three of them packaged together from ebay (twice), with very satisfactory experience at what I felt was a very good price, here (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Airsoft-Defender-World-Peace-Mini-Machine-Gun-aeg-/300561373673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fada99e9).[/quote]

2. Bi-Pods (if I read right) Are the two legged ones...Why do they get no love from people? It looks like the majority will play around with it, but no 100% gung ho. Well I take that back there are a couple, but is the 2 legged aspect that bad of a layout?Yes, Bipeds are the two legged ones, but as a newbie to robotics, like myself, you may want to consider a hexapod or a quad first, as they are less complex - balancing and weight budgeting being much more difficult and pertinent, respectively, with bipeds. I haven't gotten to programming yet, so I can't advise you as yet on that.

3. How can I convince my girlfriend it's a good idea?What, like you need your GF's permission?! ^.o {Note: Stobs doesn't have a GF right now - wonders why. ^.o} :D Sorry pal, no help for you with your girlfriend, aside from just let your charming self shine through! ;)

Regards

elaughlin
06-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Lightwolf - The airsoft tank guns really were suspect this year. I had them in my original build the past year on Draco, went to a competition, knew during my first match I needed something hugely better. So I switched to the Defender gun as well. 1 Defender = 20*(Tank guns). That might even be selling the defender gun short on the comparison as well. So I would advise against it, but it can still be used. Also, a lot of competitors have already found the next step up in weaponry. Its a firing mechanism from an M14 airsoft rifle I believe, its smaller and lighter than the defenders, but you have a lot more mounting and building of barrels and such.

The bipeds as stobs said are a lot more difficult to get running. Their are competitors who did do it and did it well. But just as I had the same thought, I was a beginner in everything robotics so I decided to go to a quad to start with easier balancing issues and more payload. Now, I am having a ton of fun doing quads. So again, its always up to you, and these things can be done, just look around through lots of the different mech threads to see what people have posted and see what suits your wants/abilities for creating your mech.

Lightwolf
06-04-2011, 12:01 PM
The reason I was asking what all was needed, was because I found this on the internet...

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/R_RSci_Fi/items/Airsoft_AEG_Gun_Replacement_Gearbox___Mechbox_BRAN D_NEW

I figured it's very cheap replacement if not a lot is required..

also I know people are looking for that upgrade/next best thing. My cousin airsofts, and I know of this website for Mechboxes...

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft_Mechbox_s/94.htm

Hope they help people!

Happy Hunting!

gdubb2
06-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Lightwolf..

Nice find on the plastic gearboxes. That's the very thing a lot of us are moving too.

The metal gearboxes are much better, but also much heavier.

+rep from me
Gary

Stobs
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Man! I just got more Defenders and here I'm seeing that they're pretty much obsolete as far as mechs are concerned! Oh well! :/ I'll still use them for the turret, but when I move to a mobile mech build I'll be more cognizant of upgraded guns. Hope my attempt at humor wasn't out of line and best wishes for your build Lightwolf.

Regards

gdubb2
06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Not to worry Stobs, the Defenders are still viable guns. Moving to these other gearboxes adds a whole new level of problems with mounting, BB feeding, and getting the thing put together in a usable form.

Gary

Lightwolf
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Your humor was fine buddy. I just forgot to respond to it. So who's gonna build that massive robot, that is like the Supreme Mech Warfare Bot. That is almost like the villain of Mech Warfare City...6-10 guns, rockets, 3 feet tall...THE WORKS! Whos it going to be...you? You? How about You???

Stobs
06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
@gdubb2: Thanks for the heads-up Gary - I've got plenty on my plate as it is, so I'll gratefully stick with the Defenders then!

@Lightwolf: hehehehe, ok, cool :) ...and it's on the drawing board! ;)

Fanatic
06-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey you guys, whats the weight for these guns?
Tank turrets/Defenders

gdubb2
06-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Fanatic..
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_compare.jpg

The defender in this picture are cut down quite a lot, with a custom barrel they weigh 158 g.

The new gearboxes some of us are using weigh 108 g. Without barrel or BB feed.

Gary

Stobs
06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the picture Gary, very helpful! How does the recoil force of the new units compare to the Defender?

Regards

gdubb2
06-05-2011, 09:22 PM
About the same recoil I think. They are faster, but pretty much the same mechanism. I'm still working on my mounting system, so haven't fired them except by having one mounted to a heavy piece of aluminum.

Gary

Stobs
06-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the reply Gary, very much appreciated! Sounds interesting...man, I'm already eager to get to MW'12! lol

DresnerRobotics
06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Man! I just got more Defenders and here I'm seeing that they're pretty much obsolete as far as mechs are concerned! Oh well! :/ I'll still use them for the turret, but when I move to a mobile mech build I'll be more cognizant of upgraded guns. Hope my attempt at humor wasn't out of line and best wishes for your build Lightwolf.

Regards

Defenders are most definitely NOT obsolete.

I would say that at this point, tank guns are entirely obsolete. I just don't see them being competitive when we have top tier mechs using Defenders and AEGs.

Fanatic
06-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I wanna ask....are airsoft shotguns allowed.....
I want a slow firing mech, but 1 tiny bb doesn't seem....crowd pleasing.....

Shotguns have spread but course the spread can be modified....(Barrel Length)

Yea so....can I can I!?

lnxfergy
06-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I wanna ask....are airsoft shotguns allowed.....
I want a slow firing mech, but 1 tiny bb doesn't seem....crowd pleasing.....

Shotguns have spread but course the spread can be modified....(Barrel Length)

Yea so....can I can I!?

Nothing in the rules against it... but good luck finding something light enough to be carried on a mech.

-Fergs

Fanatic
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
...but good luck finding something light enough to be carried on a mech.

-Fergs

Yay ty fergs, mech has a 5lb carry limit so hopefully I'll find one that'll fit.

elaughlin
06-11-2011, 11:37 PM
5 lbs is pretty good. On the Hildolfr mech? What servos and such are you using again?

Fanatic
06-12-2011, 02:22 AM
What servos and such are you using again?

mg995 supposedly 13-15 kg*in torque....hopefully my calculations prove right this time haha!

byi
06-12-2011, 07:47 AM
I guess this is a good place to post this since this thread has turned into a general discussion on guns for MW. I remember hearing at the competition that the schematics for the guns used on Giger might be released. I'm just curious if this is going to happen. Thanks.

elaughlin
06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I posted a thread about the AEG gearbox (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=4388&page=3&highlight=aeg) (the new guns Giger had). I made a 3d CAD model and it is in the Data Center (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/datacenter/cad-files-5/aeg-gearbox-177/) here on trossen forums for download.

byi
06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks. Are there any plans for the hopper design or barrel?

elaughlin
06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Not yet. I will be posting them as I finish, but I am doing a few projects right now, so it might be a little while before those get totally finished. I do need them for myself though before I continue much more on my own mech design. Ill keep you posted. Follow my CAD Designs thread or even my blog would have update pictures when I finish concepts and designs.

byi
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Okay. Thanks for the help.

DresnerRobotics
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
mg995 supposedly 13-15 kg*in torque....hopefully my calculations prove right this time haha!

I know this is OT, but let me put some things into perspective. Giger has about 5lbs of payload, with EX-106+ in the legs.

The thing about bipeds is it isn't just raw holding torque. Actual moving torque and gear backlash affect how well your robot can walk, and are ultimately your limitations.

And to be perfectly blunt (because sometimes people need to hear this) MG995s are some of the worst servos on the market. You'll be lucky to compete in a single match without catching on fire. There is no free lunch with servos. You absolutely get what you pay for.

byi
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Another quick question on gun design. Is there a consensus on the use of gas powered guns like the one on terminator? Have those been reliable?

DresnerRobotics
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Another quick question on gun design. Is there a consensus on the use of gas powered guns like the one on terminator? Have those been reliable?

They're going to be explicitly banned in airsoft for next year. It was way too much of a hassle to deal with.

byi
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh. That's a little disappointing. I was considering doing that. Thanks for telling me though.

DresnerRobotics
06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
You're more than welcome to, in the Hardcore League.

It's too dangerous for Airsoft League, the AEG guns are at the high end of acceptable FPS as is.

Fanatic
06-15-2011, 03:35 AM
And to be perfectly blunt (because sometimes people need to hear this) MG995s are some of the worst servos on the market. You'll be lucky to compete in a single match without catching on fire. There is no free lunch with servos. You absolutely get what you pay for.

O.o wow, that's insane torque rating on those EX-106 (6x mg995's)
Oh yea mg995's were "13-15kg*cm" not "in" sorry about that
If it's any comfort my mech is a quad

But I assure you these are not the worst, the last ones I had were the worst 1kg*cm but I will note your advice since experience is something I don't have, I'll keep extra precaution in testing the new mg995 servos.

darkback2
06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
O.o wow, that's insane torque rating on those EX-106 (6x mg995's)
Oh yea mg995's were "13-15kg*cm" not "in" sorry about that
If it's any comfort my mech is a quad

But I assure you these are not the worst, the last ones I had were the worst 1kg*cm but I will note your advice since experience is something I don't have, I'll keep extra precaution in testing the new mg995 servos.

I went through an MG995 phase too...You might have to learn this one on your own...I'm not sure...Charlie my original mech used them with levered legs. They constantly burned up. HS 645s are a lot more reliable, and will run you $35 a piece. While I know that seams like a lot now, but after you burn up a couple mg 995s you'll have spent just as much and not be any better off.

Another thing is that MG995s are listed as 13 kg/cm, but I'm really not convinced they actually do what they say they do without burning up.

The point is, this is an expensive hobby, and mech warfare does not make things any cheaper.

Hope this helps.

DB

cire
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
They're going to be explicitly banned in airsoft for next year. It was way too much of a hassle to deal with.
Expanding on that, I don't think metal bb's for hardcore will be allowed in the building at robogames. There was some concern about them and I don't think the event organizers will allow them around. I personally didn't feel very safe whenever the terminator was pointing at me with a charged co2 canister and loaded metal bb's (with the "safety" on). If it is allowed, I can see only being able to load them once in the bullet proof box, and having to unload before removing, for everyone's sake.

darkback2
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Expanding on that, I don't think metal bb's for hardcore will be allowed in the building at robogames. There was some concern about them and I don't think the event organizers will allow them around. I personally didn't feel very safe whenever the terminator was pointing at me with a charged co2 canister and loaded metal bb's (with the "safety" on). If it is allowed, I can see only being able to load them once in the bullet proof box, and having to unload before removing, for everyone's sake.

another idea is to put a pin through the barrel sideways making it impossible for BBs to come out. Gdubb had some with flags on them. Worked like a charm and can't blow out like those airsoft barrel plug things that come with defenders.

DB

Connor
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
another idea is to put a pin through the barrel sideways making it impossible for BBs to come out. Gdubb had some with flags on them. Worked like a charm and can't blow out like those airsoft barrel plug things that come with defenders.

DB

I still remember the Incident in RG09 when one of your mechs starting shooting into a crowd of children playing in the OLLO area.. :)

Fanatic
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I still remember the Incident in RG09 when one of your mechs starting shooting into a crowd of children playing in the OLLO area.. :)

What! Things like that happens? LOL funny, yet concerning...mostly funny.

And nice pin idea DB.

gdubb2
06-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I just use a small cotter pin through a hole in the barrel.. Tie a piece of bright orange yarn to it so it's easy to see. I tried a small hitch pin ( hairpin cotter pin), but they tend to be too big, and scratched my pretty barrels..

Gary

Connor
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
What! Things like that happens? LOL funny, yet concerning...mostly funny.

And nice pin idea DB.

What was funny was, he had the orange stoppers in place. but after 2 or 3 shots.. they went flying.. and it kept shooting.. I think Andrew got in front of it to keep the kids from getting shot..

DresnerRobotics
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
What was funny was, he had the orange stoppers in place. but after 2 or 3 shots.. they went flying.. and it kept shooting.. I think Andrew got in front of it to keep the kids from getting shot..

They were homeless orphans holding a litter of prematurely born kittens. I'm a hero like that.

darkback2
06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gfh7dtFOhk

I'll try to post dimensional drawings by the end of the day on monday.

DB

byi
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I did not know what a hop up is, so a quick look at wikipedia told me its a device that applies spin to the pellet to increase range. Is this device necessary for the short range used in mech warfare?

gdubb2
06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
byi
The hopup action isn't needed for the close ranges of Mech Warfare. But they also provide a great way of feeding and holding the BB in place while the gearbox is cycling.

These new gearboxes don't have a built in mechanism for doing that like the Defender guns do.

DB's solution looks to be very simple' clean, lightweight, and hopefully works well.

Gary

byi
06-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

How would I go about building/obtaining these? also, could someone please post a link to these guns? thanks

darkback2
06-19-2011, 05:16 PM
@ Byi,

I will try to post the CAD files used to make these tomorrow. I'm also hoping someone with a printer will be willing to print up a bunch to sell, or maybe someone will post a place that will do this for those who want them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VfkH80Ozkw

DB

byi
06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
okay thanks.

mannyr7
06-20-2011, 12:33 AM
NIce work DB! Maybe somebody can upload these to shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com/) or thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/) so we can all have the ability to get these printed. :happy:

elaughlin
06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Hopefully, since DB has already figured out the alignment for everything, he would be willing to share the part design with me. Then I am going to make it into another model shell that incorporates the the hopper and mounting of the gun as well.

Plan was to make a very basic one, that is for function only, and another one that has the function, but would have a little more in the design for it to look more like a weapon barrel and everything.

And also change the more detailed one into several different gun variants for people to choose from for adding to their mech.

byi
06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Hopefully, since DB has already figured out the alignment for everything, he would be willing to share the part design with me. Then I am going to make it into another model shell that incorporates the the hopper and mounting of the gun as well.

Plan was to make a very basic one, that is for function only, and another one that has the function, but would have a little more in the design for it to look more like a weapon barrel and everything.

And also change the more detailed one into several different gun variants for people to choose from for adding to their mech.

that would be awesome

darkback2
06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I am so sorry...I forgot the file on my work computer. I will post it first thing tomorrow.

These boxes connect the gun, hopper, and barrel. There are bolt holes for attaching the hoppers. One of the bolts goes through the hole in the front of the gun holding it into the box.

DB

darkback2
06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
A guy from work sent me the files...they are SLDPRT files...not sure...put them in a zip file.

DB

cire
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
That is the Solidworks file format, i saved a copy as step 203 in case people with inventor cant open it.

byi
08-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Any updates on this?

elaughlin
08-22-2011, 06:25 AM
I have done a little work on it. Nothing big enough to update with yet. But once I get back into full swing of working on my robot parts this week, I will focus some time on the gun parts and post it when completed.

byi
08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
ok thanks.

HyperMouse
09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Wondering what the source is for the newer AEGs. I was looking at KWA and suchlike, but they seem to be fairly large and beefy units. Is that what you're using, or is it a smaller tank unit? Thanks.

gdubb2
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
This is the gearbox a lot of us have started using.

http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1461&catid=

Gary

HyperMouse
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Excellent, thanks!

byi
09-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Great. Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts to use with this gearbox? By the way, about what voltage should i run it on? Thanks

Gertlex
09-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Great. Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts to use with this gearbox? By the way, about what voltage should i run it on? Thanks
Run them at 7.2V, or use PWM to reduce a 3s Lipo's voltage down.

As for parts to use with them, this is being worked on, sorta. One person has machined aluminum hopups and his own barrels; way too time intensive. The other approach in the pipes at the moment is a 3d printed hopup, with either a custom barrel, or the barrel from 'defender' guns (namely, this one (http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Full-Semi-Automatic-Dual-Powered-AirSoft/dp/B0035FV8YO/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1316491856&sr=1-5)). If all goes well the 3d printed hop-up + defender barrel should be proven in two weeks. Finally, the hoppers are just whatever each person comes up with.

byi
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok thanks. So how would I obtain the 3D printed hopup? Any hopper tips? Thanks so much for the help.

gdubb2
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Hoppers are pretty one of a kind built just for the robot in question. The 3D printed hopups are gravity fed, so the main requirement would be that the BB's flow from the hopper into the hopup without jamming. This is the main problem with the gravity feed systems. With spring fed systems, there is the problem of how to keep the spring wound so the BB's will feed out of the magazine. The hopper just keeps the magazine full.

I believe someone was going to put the necessary info on the 3d printed hopups in the tutorials, so anyone could have some made. I put the info on my machined ones in my gallery, but they have to be matched to the gun and type of bucking being used. The drawings are pretty generic. The machined ones are also designed for feeding the BB's from the side with a spring fed magazine.

Have fun
Gary

Gertlex
09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Like gdubb said, we'll pretty much give the CAD file in a few formats, with some tips for what might need adjusting (every printer is different...). The other major option is to just chop down the extraneous parts of the defender guns (the one i linked in the last post) and mount that as your complete gun solution. You won't win any style points for that though :D

byi
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
So essentially I would need a 3D printer? I guess that was obvious, but I think I'll look for some alternative such as the defender. Thanks for the help

tician
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
There are plenty of online stores that offer 3D rapid prototyping services. You just upload the CAD files, select a material to get a price, and check their render of the part before purchasing. Three services that I know to have been used by others here with at least decent results are 'ponoko', 'shapeways', and 'i.materialise'. There are also a few people here who have 3D printers that might be willing to print one for you (for a small fee?). Unfortunately, I am one of those very poor souls whose homemade printer is in a perpetual state of incompleteness (2+ years since I started work on it and it is still just a pile of parts), so I cannot yet be of any assistance there.

byi
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help.

evansna
01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Is there a different type of gun besides tank guns?

parallax
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I thinking about switching to a modified tank gun for the events this year. I know tank guns are outmatched by the defender and other AEG setups, but a defender is a little overkill for my current non-standard setup. My mech is *small* by comparison to past competitors...

In thinking about doing this, the one major thing I am running into is the barrel length. The tank gun barrel I have is rather long. Does anyone have any experience cutting down a tank gun's barrel? I know many people make their own barrels, but is there any evidence to show that just cutting the existing barrels down will have any major impacts on performance in a mech-warfare setting?

Thanks!
Also, is there anything else I should take into consideration other than making sure the end of the bore is as smooth as possible?

elaughlin
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I dont think there is really any problem with cutting down the barrels. Just have to make sure you don't bend it at all with the pressure from the cut and yes, take off the bur left from the cutting of the material.

Longer barrels just make for more accuracy I guess, but with these guns thats really hit and miss, and then tank guns are just ridiculously bad sometimes, its all a chance of what you get from the manufacturer.

Thats what I think at least. Too bad you have to go to the tank guns, they are so weak, really I had them at first on Draco, and it was fine an all, but in real matches, I dont think I was scoring on most of the shots that were able to hit the score boards. But build restrictions make some things impossible.

parallax
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the information! I appreciate it very much! It's not that I must use tank guns~ just that I would prefer something with a little less of a footprint (both in volume and mass) than a defender setup and a tank gun seemed to fit the bill. A tank gun would give me far better performance in terms of movement. Right now, I'm really pushing the stability margin to its limits. Walking with a defender limits my movement measurably due to the dynamics that come into play from having so much mass being thrown around. Don't get me wrong, I can still move adequately, but not as well as I would like to be.

As a side note: it's also entirely possible that I could shave more weight off of the defender...I was a little ginger with the saw.

Slightly off topic, but in your opinion how important is mobility vs. firepower during the event? I'm at a juncture where I need to make a final decision as to whether to sacrifice one for the other. With a tank gun, I could be relatively zippy but outgunned. With a defender, I would be competitive firepower-wise and slower on the uptake. I feel like I already know the answer to this, but it would be nice to hear it anyway ;) Thoughts?

gdubb2
02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey..
Here is a comparison I did of gun weights. These all had aluminum barrels I made.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_compare.jpg

The Defender is cut down about as far as I dared.

Gary

Ron
11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Like gdubb said, we'll pretty much give the CAD file in a few formats, with some tips for what might need adjusting (every printer is different...). :D

Did these files ever get posted ? Help greatly appriciated, thanks.

gdubb2
11-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Ron,
I don't know about the printed hopups, but here is what I machined for my AEG's.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4020&catid=member&imageuser=2033

Gary

Ron
11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Gary.

Gertlex
11-23-2012, 07:25 PM
They did not. I should do that.

Gertlex
11-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Drawings to go by are attached.

I learned that the center hole is off center, hah!

This is the hopup that I printed for Numa. The top feed hole is added manually with a dremel. I recommend that each user recreate the model in CAD, and check dimensions with their own gearbox and barrel.

jwatte
11-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't know about the printed hopups, but here is what I machined for my AEG's.

I note the plural there... My robot is cowering in a corner :-)

Gertlex
11-23-2012, 11:51 PM
All of the functional mechs except Ra had two guns, jwatte :P

Ron
11-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Drawings to go by are attached.

Thank you, for posting this.

gdubb2
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Not all had 2 guns.. Maggot only had one. Although I originally intended for 2, they became too bulky with my spring fed magazines.

(Or was he implying that Maggot wasn't functional)....Hmmm:wink:

Gary

Gertlex
11-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Gary, I did forget you :D Though to be fair, for a long while two guns were your plan for maggot ;)

TwitchMX for MW will have a single gun, though.

Glad to help, Ron!

ArduTank
11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Mine will have a single defender style gun, and will also be cowering in a corner :D

byi
12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I took another look at DB's CAD files since i think i might switch over to AEG. Few questions:
It looks like the hopup chamber is a lot wider than the usual 6mm bbs. Looks like a little too much space, but I wouldn't really know. Would I keep this same width for my barrel or use something that fits tighter to the BB?
Think it's possible to add a hopper to the design and print out a complete setup? Doing that would be a heck of a lot easier.
Barrel choice?

Thanks,
Ben

jwatte
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Would I keep this same width for my barrel or use something that fits tighter to the BB?
Think it's possible to add a hopper to the design and print out a complete setup? Doing that would be a heck of a lot easier.

You want a 6 mm barrel. You probably want something wider for the feed-in funnel, to avoid jammed BBs. But too wide will cause its own problems, too... I think robustness can be heavily influenced by this design area. I saw some unit that used a "stirrer" among the BBs to feed them in last year.

Barrel choice?

I bought a cheap, disposable airsoft gun, and cannibalized the barrel. Seems to be 6mm aluminum tubing, and the BBs seem to measure around 5.95mm diameter.
For imperial, .243 and .246 inch tubing might work: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-aluminum-tubing/=kmukwc
M (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-aluminum-tubing/=kmukwc)etric seems to only be available in steel (smooth-bore 6mm zinc steel is affordable, stainless less so): http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metal-metric-tubing/=kmulxp

Gertlex
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Assuming you're talking about the drawings I posted, rather than

I took another look at DB's CAD files since i think i might switch over to AEG. Few questions:
It looks like the hopup chamber is a lot wider than the usual 6mm bbs. Looks like a little too much space, but I wouldn't really know. Would I keep this same width for my barrel or use something that fits tighter to the BB?

The CAD model that DB posted has an inner diameter hole of ~8.3mm, which is the barrel diameter, so I'm not sure what you mean by too much space.

If you're talking about the drawings I posted, those have a large opening because the plastic hopup + bucking are used along with the barrel, and these parts need clearance in order to be inserted into the 3D printed part. In my case, I inserted small pieces of plastic (2mmx3mmx6mm maybe) into the hopup to fill up space. I don't have any pics of that, though.

Barrel choice?
Sure, but you'd do that yourself, since each bot is unique...

I would suggest prototyping the hopper shape with cardboard. You'll ultimately find that you need to experiment with how to get the BBs to feed in properly.

byi
12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh, so the barrel gets jammed into the hopup? Up to what point? Thanks for the link.

byi
12-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Sorry to be asking a million questions, but I'd like to get this right. Are these gearboxes which gary mentioned compatible with DB's hopup?
http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1461&catid=

Gertlex
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Cheaper here: http://airsoftshogun.com/double-eagle-m83a2m83b2-pla_oid11558.htm

Looks like the same other than the connector. It seems to be a standard form factor.

Gertlex
12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

This is the barrel + bucking + hopup that is taken from the gun, and for which the drawings I made are designed.

This one is new, though. You remove, if I recall correctly, ~0.2" of plastic (aka starting from the bottom left in the above image) in order to get the gearbox's nozzle to mate with the bucking nicely.

byi
12-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Ok. I think I see how this works. Thanks. Are you definitely using the same gearbox as DB though? If not, I can always transfer the measurements from your drawing or ask DB.

byi
12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
sorry, another question. I noticed in the defender that a plastic cover seals the chamber just before the BB is fired. the aegs dont seem to have this. wouldnt this cause the air to escape and possibly launch a few BBs around the hopper? Justchecking because I think I am missing something.

jwatte
12-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Here's how I'm working those same pieces. (Sorry about the crappy flash shot)

Note that the tip of the air nozzle from the AEG is beveled. It is supposed to fit into the actual barrel. As it is, the black plastic part is about 3 mm too long for that to fit well. Thus, that plastic needs to be shaved off a bit.

When firing, the gun will retract the nozzle (to let a BB fall down,) then shove the nozzle forward, and when the nozzle holder hits the limit (the inside of the AEG box) the piston will continue inside the tube connected to the nozzle, and start pushing out air. If the nozzle then fits snugly with the barrel, there will be little leakage, and the air will propel the BB through the barrel.

My question about this whole set-up is whether gravity feed into the black scoop part will be sufficient to get a BB in there. That's what I'm going to try as soon as I get my hopper (magazine) made -- I'm thinking of routing the funnel shape of the magazine from a thick slab of MDF and then vacuum forming the magazine out of PETG on top of that for something that's easy to form and lets you see what's going on.

byi
12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
So, for my hopup design, I should have an indent for the gearbox, followed by a 6mm tube to fit the hopper opening and nozzle, then a tube that fits the OD of my barrel? Seems simple enough. Thanks for the clarification. Its just sort of hard to tell how these things work by staring at pictures.

Gertlex
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Yup... which is why you should go ahead and buy the parts.

jwatte
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
So... will gravity feed into the black scoop part will be sufficient to get a BB in there?

Gertlex
12-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Yes... The real issue is jams. For which is why you start prototyping the hopper ASAP.

byi
12-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I find that using a servo to mix the BBs is the only way to prevent jams reliably. I'm including a servo in my new design that sweeps over the feed opening.

byi
01-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Over the past week or so I have been designing a turret frame, which i hope to get printed. I have the hopup, hopper and target panel system mounts all on one rather convoluted solid piece. Just wondering if you guys think this is a good idea.

jwatte
01-01-2013, 08:17 PM
As long as you can assemble it all, and get your fingers/tools to all the places you need to get them, then a single piece may very well be more robust than many pieces screwed (or duct-taped...) together.

darkback2
01-02-2013, 01:07 AM
I have the hopup, hopper and target panel system mounts all on one rather convoluted solid piece.

Some of the builders have had problems with interference/vibrations from the guns triggering the target panels when they are mounted on the side of the gun. Having one part where the target panel is mouted so close to the gearbox and motor may be a problem. You can cut this down by using capacitors. Also once you have this designed and working be sure to publish your drawings...Some of us are looking for inspiration. :-)

DB

byi
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
The design should be fine as interference goes. Will post when it is done. My main worry is that printing it may be impossible/expensive. i dont know much about the limitations of 3d printing.

cire
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
The design should be fine as interference goes. Will post when it is done. My main worry is that printing it may be impossible/expensive. i dont know much about the limitations of 3d printing.

3d printing can be kind of expensive, but it can print just about any shape. Different materials / processes have different resolutions so you have to be careful not to design something that requires the features to be more precise then the 3d printing process can do. http://www.shapeways.com/ has information on different materials and costing.

byi
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
4439Well, here is my current design. Its meant to fit the target panel mounts that cogswell posted. The square frame piece is dimensioned to fit a trendnet camera, and the slot in the hopper is for a servo. What do you guys think?

lnxfergy
01-03-2013, 01:29 AM
The design should be fine as interference goes.

I just want to make sure that it is clear that the most often problem is "electrical interference" not any sort of mechanical interference. As in, the EMI from the gun motors will induce a current in the wires running between the panel/transponder and register as a hit.

-Fergs

byi
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I am aware. I accounted for the position of the wires relative to each other when laying out the design. I don't think the panel wires will be close enough to the motor wires to be a problem.

ArduTank
01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
"close" is a relative term. They can still cause interference several inches away with something as low interference tolerant as the target panels.Try to run the wires as far apart as possible.

byi
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Will do. Might also put some shielding around the motor wires. what could i use for that?

byi
01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Just FYI for anyone ordering tubing for barrels from mcmaster, the 6mm ID steel tubing "for flow" has an id of around 5.8mm. It won't fit BBs. I just learned this the hard way.

jwatte
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
That's great information, thanks! If the 1/4" tubing is the same amount narrower, it might actually be perfect then :-)

I have some 303 stainless tubing that I use for another project (wheel suspension) that has 3/16 inner diameter; my first attempt to drill these out to 6mm broke two drill bits :-( I now have some M42 cobalt bits on order...

gdubb2
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I've always made my barrels from 6061 Aluminum round stock. On the lathe I would first bore a smaller hole through, then a second bore with a 7/32 (.2188) then a final bore with a size "B" bit (.238). It seems like a lot, but the have been working quite well.

Gary

jwatte
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
What kind of gasket do you use between the gearbox and the barrel?

darkback2
01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Gary makes really nice barrels!

As for the rubber gaskets, I found you can get away with using the rubber ones out of tank guns, or other cheaper airsoft guns.

DB

gdubb2
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I've done like DB mentioned, just make the barrels fit whatever rubber thingie I had. My newer ones however used the rubber bucking that are made for regular airsoft hopups. But these required the making of hopups, or adapting some from airsoft suppliers. I wanted side feed, so bought a factory hopup for a pattern, then made a couple modded for side feeding.

Gary

ArduTank
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Anyone have tips on cutting down a defender? I'm getting ready to buy one for my robot and want to know the easiest way to cut it down.

gdubb2
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Just remove everything ya don't need..:veryhappy: Here's a link to a pic in my gallery.. There's some other views of cut down defenders in there too.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1654&catid=member&imageuser=2033

Gary

jwatte
01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Anyone have tips on cutting down a defender? I'm getting ready to buy one for my robot and want to know the easiest way to cut it down.

If it's a cheaper gun, do *not* try to open up the part that contains the entire mechanism. It's all injection molded and then put together with jigs, with no separately removable parts like a gearbox. Once it's open, you're not going to get it back right together. Best you can do is scavenge parts like the motor and the barrel. Don't ask me how I know :-)

The cheap AEG gearbox linked to in a few threads here seems to work fine, though, so $20 for a barrel and $15 for an AEG plus your choice of milling/3d-printing/vacuum-forming/hand-carving enclosure/mount will make you a gun!

ArduTank
01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I can't afford to use an AEG gearbox. When I can find a defender for $20, i will use one. The gun I am looking at is an ACTUAL Defender. That's why I asked.

Gertlex
01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I've put the Crosman (aka Defender) gun back together after carefully separating the two halves before. Helps if you have two, so you can use the second for reference. Or take pics (you should be able to split the two plastic halves without all of the parts flying everywhere, and then figure out where the few that pop out belong).

This is your $20 "Defender":
Crosman Full or 6mm Semi-Automatic Dual-Powered Mini AirSoft Gun (http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Full-Semi-Automatic-Dual-Powered-AirSoft/dp/B0035FV8YO/)

jwatte
01-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I see -- when I searched for Defender guns, I couldn't really find anything good. Friendly links then pointed out these:

$20 automatic airsoft gun (can be used for barrel, if nothing else): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035FV8YO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=enchage-20&linkCode=as2 (This is the kind that can't really be re-assembled if you attempt to open it up.)
$12 AEG: http://www.airsoftshogun.com/double-eagle-m83a2m83b2-pla_oid11558.htm or http://www.airsoftshogun.com/aeg-abs-gear-box-for-ak-4t7_oid136678.htm

byi
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Yea, i have to say the barrels on the defenders gary sent me are really nice. i was looking at the shape and markings, and was wondering why it looked like it was made on a lathe. well, that makes sense. XD
I am going to try a different option from mcmaster. will post when I find out.

ArduTank
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRSOFT-MINI-ELECTRIC-GUN-DEFENDER-OF-WORLD-PEACE-CLEAR-/200639462708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb70b3d34

this is what I was looking at.

jwatte
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
That one has the gears integrated in the shell, just like the cheap gun I tried to take apart. I would suggest just cutting out the handle, the magazine slot, and the rear stock, and keep the rest intact. Cut just rear of any bulkheads or screws that are within the plastic -- with a clear gun, that should be easy to see! You will be left with a pretty large piece of the gun, that still works.

ArduTank
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Okay. Thnx for the tip.

byi
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
So, just a warning to other competitors. I got 2 of those gearboxes posted earlier form speedy toys. I will only be using one gun, but I figured a spare gearbox couldn't hurt. I took the gearboxes out and hooked one to a 7.4 lipo battery. The gear connecting to the motor gear is too fr from the motor to connect, so I try the other. It works for a few shots but then stops working and just starts vibrating and making a horrible noise. After some testing, I figured out that one of the gears had stripped. After switching back to the first one and trying to fix it, I manage to get it to work briefly before accidentally stripping part of a gear. So now I'm down $50 and have two broken gearboxes. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but just i should mention that other people who get that gearbox might have similar issues.

jwatte
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Hopefully you can send them back and get a refund -- that's not how those gearboxes should work!

I bought the Eagle gearboxes from Airsoft Shogun, and both of them have worked fine as intended. I apply 7.4V from a DC power supply; in real competition I will use a regulator to put it at around 7V, down from the 14.4V of my LiPo.

Also, does anyone have the hole pattern for that gun? I've been eyeballing it, and tweaking each bracket I make to get closer to truth, and I'm crossing my fingers that the next one I'll make on Wednesday will actually fit in all the right places...

Also, someone was asking about barrels before. I got a few different diameters of "aluminum tubing for flow" from McMaster, and the 6mm i.d. tubing didn't work out, and neither did the .243" i.d. tubing (!?), but the .245" i.d. tubing seems to work great. I need to de-burr and lightly bore the edges after I cut it, and the pellets flow through it smoothly, with very little gap. So far, so good!
$9.96 for 3 feet: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/160/=l4je0m
(http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/160/=l4je0m)

Gertlex
01-20-2013, 11:17 PM
They're definitely cheapo... but I've not had such instant failures.

I did have one where a gear didn't mesh initially... I pushed it back into place and it worked fine. No clue if I've actually used that one beyond a test firing. Could even be the one I sold to another guy at RG last year :D (I didn't note which gearbox it was...)

Looking at a gearbox just now, I think it was the gear right on the shaft of the motor...

All the same, I could be thinking of gears on something completely different, and be making this up...

Oh, also, a 7.4V LiPo probably does 8.4V fully charged. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. It is probably better to regulate the voltage down via PWM, if you can.

byi
01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
yea i posted here earlier about the for flow tubing. odd, i found .243 to work fine.

jwatte
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I wonder if McMaster in L.A. has a bit of a quality control problem in shipping. The .243 looks very much smaller than the .245.
Also, I have a box here with "M4 lock washers" that seem to fit very well on M2 screws, and not at all on M4 screws...

Nelhad
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
So which one should I but... defender or Henglong?

Nelhad
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
buy, I mean which one should I buy.

byi
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
I guess since this has become the de facto airsoft assembly thread, I'll post it here. After my rather disappointing experience with plastic aeg gearboxes, I figured I would try a metal gearbox. I bought this one:
http://airsoftshogun.com/jls-2000-full-metal-gear-box_oid385046.htm
So, other than it being a tad heavy (working on dealing with that), I performs really well. The problem is that it is way too powerful. I tested it by holding a barrel over the nozzle, and even with the cut-down barrel I have from gary's old defenders, this thing can break plastic. So, how should I deal with this? With a barrel a couple inches long, it doesnt quite break paper. Should I just keep messing with the tubing I have until I get a good length? Somewhat overkill? Also, how should I gauge when I have the right strength?

Gertlex
01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
What voltage are you using? Try a lower voltage, perhaps.

gdubb2
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
I wonder if the lower voltage would only affect the fireing rate, not the power of the shot. It's the piston spring releasing that fires the BB's..A lower tension on the spring may do more..

To answer Nelhad's question, Henglongs are tank guns (limp) we used them the first year then moved on to the Defender type guns (better), then moved on to the plastic gearboxes from Airsoftshogun (even better). But the gearboxes need some sort of hopup to feed the BB's..

It's been a very evolutionary process. For the most part we haven't moved to the metal gearboxes due to the weight issue, and the extra power is also a problem, as we have to limit the velocity of the BB's to avoid being destructive.

Gary

byi
01-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Yea... maybe I'll switch in the spring from the plastic gearbox. :P I was hoping not to have to open this thing. Oh well. Thanks though.

Hmm... Maybe I could enter in the hardcore league as well by switching in the long barrel and bigger spring. With some tweaking, I could probably really do some damage.

jwatte
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Yes; the way the airsoft people change the strength of their weapons is by using different springs.
Find the dimensions of the spring, and see if there's a weaker one available from an airsoft store.
If not, perhaps there is a weaker one available from McMaster or similar...

byi
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
So... Took it apart to check out the spring... massive mistake. I did that about an hour and a half ago and just got it back together. I had to cut the spring down just to get it reassembled without exploding. Still a tad OP, but I will just use a small barrel.

mannyr7
01-31-2013, 12:22 AM
You could also try dremeling some slots or drilling pinholes along the length of the barrel to decrease air pressure. There are aftermarket barrels sold this way at my local air soft shop to bring overpowered guns down to under the field maximum fps.

byi
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
nice. might try that too.

Hunter03
04-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I found the shooting units but not the barrels. Where are the barrels?

byi
04-20-2013, 10:07 AM
You can get them easily at any airsoft supplier, or find usable tubing at McMaster-Carr, a hardware supplier. Just make sure not to use their "for flow" tubing. It's not the right diameter.

jwatte
04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I buy a $20 toy airsoft gun and use only the barrel from that. It's still cheaper than a custom barrel...

gammaprysem
04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
I buy a $20 toy airsoft gun and use only the barrel from that. It's still cheaper than a custom barrel... i used the barrel from a 10 dollar pistol before and modified the hop up its works as good and comes out cheeper

Hunter03
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I found the barrels but thanks anyways. :)

byi
05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
So, since this seems to be the generic guns thread, I thought this would be the right place for this. A few people have had ideas for dart launchers, but it has always been out of the question due to complexity and weight. However, I found this video by Jamie Mantzel (the guy who built those hexapod toys that were mentioned a couple times). He made what looks like a fairly effective dart launcher. Since this is going to be sold in retail stores, it would be fairly easy to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWiGcIBwR10

Just warning you that the guy is a little eccentric.