PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Scoring System Info

DresnerRobotics
02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Purchasing Info
We are offering a new transponder board this year, it is slightly larger than an Xbee. Fergs will post more info on this very shortly. This new transponder is the same price- $30 assembled and tested. Please note: This is an optional unit, you are still more than welcome to use the older MINI boards for your scoring transponder. We had people complaining that the older MINI was too bulky, so this is a slimmed down version built specifically for Mech Warfare.

The new lasercut target panels will be shipped as a kit. They consist of FSR's mounted on a Lexan backing, with a thin lexan covering on the face. The panels have a small PCB on the back, with a 12" 3-pin servo-like plug, and 4 mounting holes (or you can use servo tape or velcro on the lexan panel).

We are now offering half-size target panels. You get 2 half-size panels for the same price as one full-size target panel. All mechs are now allowed to use 2 half-size panels for the front panel instead of a single full panel. Additionally, all bipedal mechs are required to add 2 half-size panels to the sides/arms of the mech (please see 2011 rules for additional details). If you are competing in 2011 with a biped, you will need to purchase 2 half-size panels.

The target panel PCB has been updated:
* Increased board size, so that wires are not as stressed.
* Added ability to snap board into 2, as well as 2 extra headers for making chained panels.

Orders will be paid through PayPal, please send payment to [email protected]

If you are ordering, after payment please send me a PM or email (even if you have sent one previously) with the following information:

How many new transponder boards do you need? (1 per mech, if you have one from 2009/2010 you do not NEED a new transponder, the upgrade is optional) -- $30

How many Xbees do you need? (Only need 1 per mech) -- $21.95

How many full-sized target panels do you need? How many half-sized target panels?
Single full-size or 2 half-size panels: $20
Bipeds (2 full-size & 2 half-size panels OR 1 full-size & 4 half-size): $60
Quads & Hexapods (4 full-size OR 3 full-size & 2 half-size): $80

Shipping will be $10 flat rate to anywhere within the continental US. I'll need to estimate international shipping depending upon your location.

I'll also need you to send and confirm the address and contact info for the scoring system to be sent to.

I'm hoping these will ship out by the end of this month at the latest.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

elaughlin
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Got any pictures of the new board yet? Or do you know the dimensions of the mounting holes? I might switch over to the new board from the MINI. I also might buy a whole new transponder set for my turret, and just switch the boards. Would it be ok to buy one for the turret, or do you want to save them for mech competitors first?

DresnerRobotics
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Got any pictures of the new board yet? Or do you know the dimensions of the mounting holes? I might switch over to the new board from the MINI. I also might buy a whole new transponder set for my turret, and just switch the boards. Would it be ok to buy one for the turret, or do you want to save them for mech competitors first?

I don't see us restricting purchases this time around. Fergs will be posting mounting dimensions for the new boards in the near future, no pictures yet because I believe we're waiting on the chinese new year to wrap up before we receive PCBs.

lnxfergy
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't see us restricting purchases this time around. Fergs will be posting mounting dimensions for the new boards in the near future, no pictures yet because I believe we're waiting on the chinese new year to wrap up before we receive PCBs.

I agree on all accounts -- in fact, the more transponders we sell, the better, as I'll have piles of PCBs.

-Fergs

elaughlin
02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Alright, I will probably be counted in for a new set (xbee/board/4 full panels). Once I get the tax refund back, Ill PM with my order.

Anything you guys come out with, I pretty much will buy!!

lnxfergy
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
As quantity makes a huge difference in cost of parts -- please get all TRANSPONDER BOARD purchases to Andrew by this FRIDAY. Purchases made after Friday may be at higher cost, as I really can't afford to sit on lots of spare parts *in case* someone orders late. We also need enough time to assemble, test and ship so that competitors can begin integrating these with their bots.

-Fergs

elaughlin
02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Ill send over my purchase request and money today or tomorrow.

byi
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I just sent in my order. I hope the lateness is not a problem.

lnxfergy
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I just sent in my order. I hope the lateness is not a problem.

Component parts order will be going in Monday morning, so you're OK -- everyone else -- MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR ORDERS IN THIS WEEKEND!

-Fergs

byi
02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
ok. thanks.

elaughlin
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I was going over the instructions for last years scoring. Should we be following the same method of setting up the Xbees as it was from last year or will there be new instructions?

And also, the xbees on the Mechs. What do we need to change again, just the ATID to match our xbees, and let you guys know the id we picked?

I am sure you will let us know all the info, I am just trying to finish off everything, you know.

lnxfergy
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
And boards finally arrived. Here they are, the new micro transponders for 2011:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/transponder1.jpg

Board size is only slightly larger than an XBEE. XBee plugs into the back, 4 target panels + external LED for hit indication plug into the front. Can be powered by a standard 3-pin connection (5V, ground, signal on hit) or via 7-12V.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/transponder2.jpg

I'll get more details up shortly...

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
03-15-2011, 01:18 PM
We're currently slated for a Wednesday 3/23/2011 ship date. I plan on shipping these via priority USPS so they should show up in 2-3 business days.

Anyone planning on attending the competition at WV will have theirs earlier than that (please speak up if you're not Seth or Elaughlin)

CogswellCogs
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Will you be shipping both target plates and transponders ?

Thanks.

DresnerRobotics
03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Will you be shipping both target plates and transponders ?

Thanks.

Yessir.

artans
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Will the new transponder still need to be configured via I2C?

lnxfergy
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Will the new transponder still need to be configured via I2C?

Um, no? The old transponders had no I2C configuration either.

-Fergs

Upgrayd
03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Can we get some dimensions on this new board? Getting the overall dimensions (width, length, height on both sides, hole size/position would be great.

I wasn't expecting it to have large components on each side and need to fabricate a mount for it.

artans
03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Um, no? The old transponders had no I2C configuration either.

-Fergs

Stupid question on my part after doing some research on XBEE.

Transponders still being shipped tomorrow?

byi
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I have not recieved the targets yet. I am just wondering if they shipped yet.

DresnerRobotics
03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
We had some delays on the transponders. I got them in yesterday. They will be shipping out today as the target panel kits are already done.

cire
03-30-2011, 04:38 PM
We had some delays on the transponders. I got them in yesterday. They will be shipping out today as the target panel kits are already done.
Thanks for the update Tybs

byi
03-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Ok thanks

DresnerRobotics
03-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Just FYI, Scoring System Kits shipped out yesterday and today via Priority USPS. Usually delivers within 2-3 business days, so I'd expect them early next week. I'll be putting up an updated Tutorial on assembling them; I've made a few last minute changes to help better protect the wires coming off of the FSR pads.

Upgrayd
04-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Is the hex file for the transponder system available for download anywhere?
I would like to have it so I can flash my 2010 system for use at the CIRC Bot Brawl Mech demos.

artans
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I received the scoring system last night. I was able to assemble the target plates based on information from last year's plates. How do you assemble the half plates?

DresnerRobotics
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I'll be posting a tutorial tonight/tomorrow that explains it.

artans
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Last night, I interfaced the new transponders to a arduino. From some reason I would always get a 200-230 ms pulse on the SIGNAL line instead of the (50 ms * # plate hit). I only have 3 target plates plugged into the transponder right now. Is this intended or is there a problem with my code or transponder?

gdubb2
04-06-2011, 02:51 PM
artans, the empty input is floating. Jumper the signal pin to Gnd. (or +5).

Gary

DresnerRobotics
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Last night, I interfaced the new transponders to a arduino. From some reason I would always get a 200-230 ms pulse on the SIGNAL line instead of the (50 ms * # plate hit). I only have 3 target plates plugged into the transponder right now. Is this intended or is there a problem with my code or transponder?

Where are you reading 'signal' from?

I believe only the separate header will output the 50-200ms pulse, header 7 outputs 500ms for attaching an LED.

See here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/how-to-diy-128/setting-up-your-mech-warfare-scoring-system-3302/

As Gdubb said, If you only have 3 plugged in, it could be floating that input which will mess up your output.

artans
04-07-2011, 12:52 AM
artans, the empty input is floating. Jumper the signal pin to Gnd. (or +5).

Gary

Thanks a lot. Fixed my problem.

artans
04-08-2011, 12:29 AM
When will instructions be posted on how to assemble the half target plates?

Stobs
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Will the mech-based scoring apparatus be the same as for MW'11? I did a search on the TR store site for "scoring plates" and didn't get any results - are the plates and transponders currently available for purchase and, if so, still priced as per this thread's initial post?

lnxfergy
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Will the mech-based scoring apparatus be the same as for MW'11? I did a search on the TR store site for "scoring plates" and didn't get any results - are the plates and transponders currently available for purchase and, if so, still priced as per this thread's initial post?

We've not sold plates nor transponders in the TR store before, it's always been a direct purchase from Andrew. The transponders will certainly get an update for 2012, the plates are probably going to be the same. I imagine prices may be a bit higher this year, as they have previously been subsidized.

-Fergs

Stobs
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info and timely reply Fergs, much appreciated

Regards

Gertlex
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Ya, contact Andrew. I got a set of scoring plates from him last month so that I could factor them into my designing.