PDA

View Full Version : [Project] My Mech for Robogames 2011

angelicgundam90
02-10-2011, 02:09 AM
http://www.microtforum.com/forum/files/quadrapod2_optimized_151.jpg
this is the basic design for my mech for this year. once i get some parts i can start putting this thing together. im really excited just to start building i'll start ordering parts on friday. all my bioloid brackets will be printed on my bro's thing-o-matic 3d printer (makerbot), the chassis plates and tibia will be cut from abs with a laser cuter. the only thing that is not a final design is the turret system. i need to get the actual parts in so i can get accurate drawings done for those parts, but the turret parts will be printed as well. does anybody know a good laser pointer i could use for targeting? i want something that has absolutely no chance of damaging anybody's camera. i dont think i will have time to create a on screen targeting system. Suggestions and comments welcome

darkback2
02-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey,

Great drawing.

As for laser Pointers, You probably don't want to bother. They are really hard to see on camera and usually just end up being a waste. A lot of people put cross hairs on their video feed. I used a method where you click on the image, and the guns aim at what you click on...(sort of...never really got it to work outside of my house.)

If you do go the laser route, you probably want a switch on your laser so that it is only turned on when you are trying to target something. You also need to make sure it isn't a very powerful laser so that you can't hurt the audience.

Now something you should really check into is the size of your mech. The leg length looks a little long, and if those are AX-12s in your drawing you will probably run into thermal shutdown issues.

50 days left...

Hope this helps.

DB

gdubb2
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I second what Darkback2 said about the laser, Most of us tried it in 2009, but they just don't work well, so we all abandoned the idea. The problem is that they don't show up good enough in the camera view. You would be better off putting the time into getting croshairs in the video.

Some folks use custom video feeds, I use RoboRealm.

Good Luck
Gary

jes1510
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Looks great!