PDA

View Full Version : I just found this and wanted to share...

mackinthebox
02-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Mech warfare style combat in Fukuoka Japan
They have built their own laser tag system called Blaser for this event!
Looks fun!

http://www.youtube.com/user/blaser650#p/u/15/_xzzfezydIY

really wish I could read Japanese though... lol

took a while but I found a webpage with more details and info on the system :)

http://www.robots-dreams.com/2007/09/blaser-tag-robo.html

sarendt
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
That does look interesting, the biggest thing to note is that the robots are 3rd person driven. They don't attempt to mount camera's in the bot. Also my experience with laser's is that you typically can't see the beam, so its not as 'cool' as blasting each other with pellets!!

Looks like fun though :*)

Cheers,
Scott

mackinthebox
02-16-2011, 03:01 AM
when you watch the video you can see a red laser from each robot
add a little fog to the mix and it is seen very clearly
Im curious as to how they made their system, if it uses the usual IR LED as the gun and a laser pointer for effect or i the laser point actually causes the score...

I want to make my own version of laser tag for at home use, me and a friend each with a mech and some lasers
im going to start playing around with light sensors and the like, im sure that a laser will cause a spike in readings for a light sensor so we could use that to determine a hit...

lasers would also be interesting if it were possible to add data to the laser to identify the mech and maybe even the style of weapon used ala Mech Warrior's Large ER Lasers, Pulse Lasers, and PPC style weapons...

just food for thought and some fun ideas :)

I saw another match in Japan where they were using pellet guns but instead of sensor pads they wrapped boxes on the mechs in aluminum foil and would count hits by looking at the foil, hehehe

DresnerRobotics
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
That does look interesting, the biggest thing to note is that the robots are 3rd person driven. They don't attempt to mount camera's in the bot. Also my experience with laser's is that you typically can't see the beam, so its not as 'cool' as blasting each other with pellets!!

Looks like fun though :*)

Cheers,
Scott

I share this sentiment. I feel that the physical impact of airsoft adds an amount of excitement to it; both for the crowd and the pilots.

This system has been around for a couple years (I think it was posted in this forum 2 years ago or so as well). The biggest issue is the very high price for the system (I think it was $300-400) and the fact that it's not easily visible via camera.