PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Arbotix and Xbee Pro

Shredder
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Ok, So I just recieved my arbotix controler and my Xbee Pro modules. I went and set everything up then read in the Arbotix manual that it cant power the Xbee pro?? As I didnt read the manual before I ordered I didnt know this :(
My Question is..

Is there no way to get the Xbee Pro to work on the Arbotix?
Or do I have to order another xbee module?

lnxfergy
02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Ok, So I just recieved my arbotix controler and my Xbee Pro modules. I went and set everything up then read in the Arbotix manual that it cant power the Xbee pro?? As I didnt read the manual before I ordered I didnt know this :(
My Question is..

Is there no way to get the Xbee Pro to work on the Arbotix?
Or do I have to order another xbee module?

There are two issues with a PRO module -- 1) the 3.3V regulator on the arbotix only outputs 100ma, and PROs can use up to 250, and 2) the PRO is larger and will collide with the existing regulator.

You could remove the existing 3.3V regulator and wire in a larger one (probably on the back of the board). I believe sthmck has done this on a number of MINIs that he had (hopefully he can pipe in with some pics).

-Fergs

Shredder
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
There are two issues with a PRO module -- 1) the 3.3V regulator on the arbotix only outputs 100ma, and PROs can use up to 250, and 2) the PRO is larger and will collide with the existing regulator.

You could remove the existing 3.3V regulator and wire in a larger one (probably on the back of the board). I believe sthmck has done this on a number of MINIs that he had (hopefully he can pipe in with some pics).

-Fergs

I think I'll hold off on pulling apart the board just yet.

Can I just connect an FTDI or bluetooth module to it and still use pypose?
Pypose just relies on a serial connection right? not a xbee specific connection right?

lnxfergy
02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I think I'll hold off on pulling apart the board just yet.

Can I just connect an FTDI or bluetooth module to it and still use pypose?
Pypose just relies on a serial connection right? not a xbee specific connection right?

This is correct -- XBEEs just look like a plain serial connection to the PC, it cannot tell the difference between an FTDI or an XBEE.

-Fergs

Shredder
02-16-2011, 02:13 PM
This is correct -- XBEEs just look like a plain serial connection to the PC, it cannot tell the difference between an FTDI or an XBEE.

-Fergs

I have one of these just sitting around..
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/582
it says it only needs 25mA, so I should be able to pull both power and tx and rx from the xbee connector right?
you dont know off hand which pins? I'll look it up if you dont know off the top of your head :)

DresnerRobotics
02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I have one of these just sitting around..
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/582
it says it only needs 25mA, so I should be able to pull both power and tx and rx from the xbee connector right?
you dont know off hand which pins? I'll look it up if you dont know off the top of your head :)

A bluesmirf would work just fine. You'd most easily plug it into where the FTDI is, TX/RX should be labeled.

Likewise, if you bought them here you can return the Xbee Pro and get an Xbee 1mw instead (and you'd get the difference refunded). Some users use a Pro module on their PC side and a regular module on the Arbotix.

Shredder
02-16-2011, 03:46 PM
A bluesmirf would work just fine. You'd most easily plug it into where the FTDI is, TX/RX should be labeled.

Likewise, if you bought them here you can return the Xbee Pro and get an Xbee 1mw instead (and you'd get the difference refunded). Some users use a Pro module on their PC side and a regular module on the Arbotix.

Thanks for the offer of an exchange. I will probably just keep them as I have a lot of projects and I am sure they can be used somewhere.
Only thing I would ask is just add a note to the store page for the arbotix stating that they dont work with the xbee pro. I did read up on Xbees and everything thing says they are swapable, I see now that is just the same pinout.. not the same power requirments.

Thanks again!

Shredder
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
So what is the default baud of the arbotix?
I have the bluesmirf connected, pairs to the comp, but when I try to read poses I get "Fail Read". I am assuming that is the bluesmirf not on the same baud as the arbotix. I read that the default baud of the xbee is 9600, so I set my bluesmirf to that and still no reading of poses. I also get fail read if I try to set a pose.
I did read the arbotix manual but its very short and doesnt say anywhere what the default baud is..

DresnerRobotics
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Default baudrate is 38400, which can be found on the Getting Started page here: http://code.google.com/p/arbotix/wiki/GettingSetup (a bit down towards the bottom).

It probably should be in the manual as well though, I'll send it over to Fergs.

lnxfergy
02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
It probably should be in the manual as well though, I'll send it over to Fergs.

The manual only covers the hardware as software is likely to change over time. The "default baud" is actually the baud of the PyPose sketch and the bootloader and is therefore appropriately covered on the wiki, specifically the GettingStarted page.

-Fergs