PDA

View Full Version : Modding a Toyeast/Mato Toys tank gun



mannyr7
02-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I wanted my Bioloid humanoid project "Musa", primarily intended for LW kung-fu, for dual purpose in mech-warfare. The problem? I don't know what the overlap is in the timing of these events. So, I needed a way to have a quick change in weaponry without having to unplug and remove his arms needlessly over and over again. Thus, I designed a simple gun cradle that could screw into his shoulder bracket and mount a tank gun, without the need to remove the arm servos.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TWXsk9junII/AAAAAAAABLc/PutW8znEoYY/s640/CIMG4974.JPG

In order to provide the easiest and sturdiest way to mount the gun on its' cradle, I would have to reverse the loading of the airsoft bb's to what is normally the underside of the gun.

1. First step was to carefully disassemble the unit, remove the forward breech opening, bolt assembly and main spring and motor.

2. Second step was to reassemble the unit with just the gear train intact.
I chose to mask off the motor opening to prevent plastic particles from contaminating the gears.

3. Carefully measure the current opening for bb loading from the top side of the gun.
Use a drill and dremel mini sanding drum to duplicate the loading area from the top to the bottom of the gun.
Make sure to clean up the opening you made with a rounded needle file, sandpaper, emery cloth or whatever, and blow it out completely with canned air or similar.

4. Open the gun up again and reinstall the forward breech part, rotating it 180 degrees in its track, so the opening matches up with the loading hole you made in the previous step. Re-install the main spring and bolt assembly. While you've got everything open, now would be a good time to make sure there are no plastic particles contaminating the gear train. I then applied lithium grease to the gears and threw it all back together.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TWqkFgHTqpI/AAAAAAAABNg/5qEUEt0wkiE/s640/CIMG4971.JPG

5. I then blocked off the stock hole with a small piece of sheet styrene bent at 90 degrees and superglued it in place. EDIT: Oh! By the way, I forgot to mention I usually grind off the stock cross-shaped mounting posts from either side with a belt sander. It gives a cleaner look I feel.

6. Next, I cut out a horseshoe shaped piece of styrene and made a new feed ramp.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TWqkG6qwkVI/AAAAAAAABMo/Nl3DCqXlFCY/s800/CIMG4980.JPG

7. Trim the excess material from the new feed ramp for easy loading.
I took this opportunity to paint the white styrene with a little Krylon 'Fusion' paint for plastics in a metallic black for aesthetics.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TWqufzQ5zyI/AAAAAAAABNE/x6mqQjgb_fg/s800/CIMG4984.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_RBehtyGR3tY/TWqufspVRnI/AAAAAAAABNA/F6SGUIGgzNw/s640/CIMG4982.JPG

gdubb2
02-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Nice mod Manny.. I like the bottom feed.

Gary

Stobs
02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree with Gary, and well documented with the post - nicely done mannyr7 :)

Paul

mannyr7
02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Next up, integrated ammo hopper.