View Full Version : [Question(s)] Spacers & other plastic parts

Yar Jr
03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I was wondering if there was such a thing as a 'cut-to-length' type nylon or plastic spacers that could be obtained from anywhere?
I see a lot of robot designs where people make little stacked platforms from the various breadboards and whatnot. Where do you guys find the spacers for those?

I've actually managed to find some shorter ones that were originally intended for computer motherboards, but they are only 1/2". I'm needing 2 inches or longer. I guess anything that's plastic and relatively cylindrical would do.

...and while we're on the topic (2nd question), is it possible to find a place that sells general purpose plastic doodads for construction?

03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
smallparts.com & mcmaster.com might be places to look at.

Unfortunately the place where we source our black nylon standoffs/spacers doesn't sell to the public, so I can't give you that source.

03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Actually the correct name is Standoffs



03-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I often cut to size the white plastic tubes (styrene maybe?) that can be found at hobby shops.

03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, you are looking for "standoffs". Billy mentions a good option of cutting tubing from a hobbyshop. I've done the same thing and it works pretty well. you can also use threaded rod and extra nuts if needed.

Here is McMaster Carr's page for standoffs: