PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] AX-12s and those $#*@ing nuts

Jaybots
03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Well I finally got my Bioloid Premium in the mail. After perusing the nicely laid out box contents, I decided to dive right in. I collected all my parts for the first assembly, screwed together the brackets I needed thinking what a nicely engineered set of parts. Next I had to attach one of the AX-12 servos to the bracket, but first I had to put the little m2 nuts into place on the servo. What could be easier, right.
Wrong, two hours latter I have one of the four nuts I need in the servo. No problem getting them lined up and into their little slot (nice magnetic screw driver Robotis) but I can not drive them home into their position.

So, I am either the dumbest person in the world, or I'm missing some little trick to get those little devils into the servo. I am hoping it is not the former, so please, please help me with the latter.

DresnerRobotics
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Check out this video for a better explaination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JtXuj7HmA

darkback2
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
not sure I'm reading this right,

The little nuts sliding into the slots in the side or bottom of the servos? They should slide right in. try pressing on the side of them once you have them lined up using the side of the screw driver.

Hope this helps.

DB

Jaybots
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes darkback2, unfortunately those are the nuts I am talking about. Some slide in relatively easily, others no so.
Tyberius your video help a lot. It is better to push down with the screwdriver as shown than to push from the top, less likely to push them out of alignment. Still it is way to fiddly for me, maybe that is why they redesigned them on the new version of the AX-12.

I found that loosing the cover on the servo, particularly up by the horn help a lot on the difficult ones.
Thanks for the quick help.

DresnerRobotics
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes darkback2, unfortunately those are the nuts I am talking about. Some slide in relatively easily, others no so.
Tyberius your video help a lot. It is better to push down with the screwdriver as shown than to push from the top, less likely to push them out of alignment. Still it is way to fiddly for me, maybe that is why they redesigned them on the new version of the AX-12.

I found that loosing the cover on the servo, particularly up by the horn help a lot on the difficult ones.
Thanks for the quick help.

It just takes some practice. I remember hating them at first, once I got the screwdriver trick down it became second nature.

elaughlin
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
same here... I ended up bending one of my small screw drivers trying to push those suckers into the little slots. But now it seems so easy, and I got through it seconds.

Jaybots
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Your right after doing about 100 nuts or so you do get the hang of it.

Now does anyone know how to keep the nuts in the back of the servo horn in place? They keep wanting push loose.

iBot
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
It's just another one of those annoying things you get used to.

The nuts do usually stay aligned in the horn, it is just the screws are a tad too short to catch them back in place.

A longer 2mm screw used temporarily will usually pull them up. Then a very thin screwdriver or piece of shim that fits under the horn will just hold them high enough. I use a 6 inch steel rule.